• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

****POLL NOW IN OP****Who do you want next?

What did you make of Lage, out of curiosity?
Honestly, I think he's a great coach. His first season at Benfica was absolutely epic and legendary. His second started well enough, with some shaky performances. Once covid started it all went to hell. But tbh, I think the players were trying to get him fired. Benfica squad still had the best talent in Portugual, no way they should lose all those points, even if mismanaged.

Mind you, while I like him, it is a risky signing if he does come. It can go very wrong.

Last edited:
Fonseca would seem the safest option of him, Lage and Concecaio. Lage would seem to be the biggest risk.

Relegation is a little extreme maybe but Juande Ramos was taking Spurs down and he managed it in a very short space of time.

Thinking about this in the cold light of morning it seems more like a sacking, dressed up as an amicable parting of the ways. Lage? Fonseca? Martins? Who knows. My preference is for someone who knows the English game, as I don't want us to be reliant on Mendes, either for players or for a manager. So that leaves me with Graham Potter, and the £10m compensation bill to Brighton...

A few reports on Twitter this morning that Lage is a done deal. Signing a contract until 2023

Honestly, I think he's a great coach. His first season at Benfica was absolutely epic and legendary. His second started well enough, with some shaky performances. Once covid started it all went to hell. But tbh, I think the players were trying to get him fired. Benfica squad still had the best talent in Portugual, no way they should lose all those points, even if mismanaged.

Mind you, while I like him, it is a risky signing if he does come. It can go very wrong.

This makes me feel a little better, well, the first paragraph anyway. If he is the man who brought youngsters through and had them playing exciting football then isn't he the perfect fit to develop Neto, Silva, MGW? None of who were ever going to develop in a 3-4-3 and all of whom the club have invested either a lot of time or money.

Not saying I'm all for him, but it does all fit together. Let's be honest: any managerial appointment can go either way. Look at Everton with Ancelotti, they're still fairly mediocre.

He brought Joao Felix into the 1st team, IIRC

Now obviously that's a bit different - if we've got an equivalent waiting in the u23s somewhere he's very well hidden - but it does indicate a willingness to give youth its head, if the talent is there

Indeed. He revitalised Benfica by dropping under-performing first teamers and bringing through the B team, which is when the goals started flowing.

I mean if he wants to convince Felix to join from Atletico I'm all for that...

Let's be honest: any managerial appointment can go either way. Look at Everton with Ancelotti, they're still fairly mediocre.
When I know nothing about any of them then I will wait till I have heard them speak and results on the pitch.

Mourinho failed at Spurs, LVG and Moyes both failed at United, Hodgson failed at Liverpool, Klopp finished 8th in his first season.

None of those managers are “bad managers”.

So we’re just going to have to wait and see

I thought salary was part of the WP equation? Something like if the salary is in the top x% for that role then it's a qualifier

I thought salary was part of the WP equation? Something like if the salary is in the top x% for that role then it's a qualifier
But there's no money and Fosun are trying to do it on the cheap so won't pay the wages...

There's no need to cheerlead for Fosun, this is Wolverhampton Wanderers FC, not Fosun FC.

They've just sacked the best manager we've had in 50+ years and there's little to suggest they're going to spend big and revamp the squad. Even if they did, they've taken a ridiculous gamble that we didn't need to make.

They want the club to be largely self-sufficient while we're in the Premier League. Fine, I'm down with that. Then don't lose the man who's synonymous with everything good we've done in the last four years on a whim.

But there's no money and Fosun are trying to do it on the cheap so won't pay the wages...
The cheap option would have been to keep Nuno. They've made the decision based on what they believe was needed to take us forwards. My worry since Jeff became king of everything has always been who 'they' are and qualifications they have to do so

I'm standing FOR my club and against unsubstantiated bullshit and supposition.
Spiers article is full of assumption, he knows nothing but keeps on with his anti Fosun stance. He did it when Kenny was sacked and again when Lambert was sacked. He knows as much now as he did then, which would fit on the back of a postage stamp

There's no need to cheerlead for Fosun, this is Wolverhampton Wanderers FC, not Fosun FC.

They've just sacked the best manager we've had in 50+ years and there's little to suggest they're going to spend big and revamp the squad. Even if they did, they've taken a ridiculous gamble that we didn't need to make.

They want the club to be largely self-sufficient while we're in the Premier League. Fine, I'm down with that. Then don't lose the man who's synonymous with everything good we've done in the last four years on a whim.
Sounds more like Nuno FC at the minute.

Back