• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-season friendly thread

For the record, I'm not in any way anti Lage. I hope he gets the opportunity to do himself justice.

However, if Neves and Moutinho line up in a 2 next weekend I'll have my doubts about him.

For the record, I'm not in any way anti Lage. I hope he gets the opportunity to do himself justice.

However, if Neves and Moutinho line up in a 2 next weekend I'll have my doubts about him.
Fair enough
I know it doesn’t work
You know it doesn’t work

I think it will be Leander and Ruben. I also think we will give them a tough game. We may not get anything though.

If he's still doing that come October, then you'll be able to count me in agreement.

I never really worried about relegation under the old regime, I think it's a possibility now.

It's not a criticism of Lage or praise of Nuno, more a comment on where we are now
Not really worried but Fosun need to syep up a bit if they can and make a few good signings..

Amazes me that a lot of people now judge Nuno’s coaching capabilities solely on a season in which we; had no pre season, no Raul for 28 games, lots of other injuries largely because of no pre-season and a pandemic. There’s more evidence to suggest he’s a top half (I’d argue higher) premier league manager. Hence he’s wound up at a club in that bracket.

regardless, it’s completely understandable to be worried in the short term by that 1st half. It was way off. Partly due to personnel, partly due to injuries (arguably self inflicted) and partly a coaching issue. Equally, the second half had plenty to be encouraged, and gave me hope of what the ‘idea’ is.

Amazes me that a lot of people now judge Nuno’s coaching capabilities solely on a season in which we; had no pre season, no Raul for 28 games, lots of other injuries largely because of no pre-season and a pandemic. There’s more evidence to suggest he’s a top half (I’d argue higher) premier league manager. Hence he’s wound up at a club in that bracket.

regardless, it’s completely understandable to be worried in the short term by that 1st half. It was way off. Partly due to personnel, partly due to injuries (arguably self inflicted) and partly a coaching issue. Equally, the second half had plenty to be encouraged, and gave me hope of what the ‘idea’ is.
In simplicity, Lage appears to be an offensive front foot coach , whereas Nuno was a defensive cautious coach.
Both have their merits and require the right players to perform effectively. At present this is still Nunos team with Bruno’s tactics

In simplicity, Lage appears to be an offensive front foot coach , whereas Nuno was a defensive cautious coach.
Both have their merits and require the right players to perform effectively. At present this is still Nunos team with Bruno’s tactics
I’m not doubting that it will take time, some players will adapt quicker than others even. I’m all for us playing a 343, but with a higher line and more aggression, and committing more players forward, but that’s all nice in theory it’s if the coach can execute that effectively. Lets hope he can

Well, he really wound up at Spurs because they exhausted all other options and because the new DoF was Mendes' pal...

I'm not sure it's completely true that he's judged solely on last season at all, but of course it will have some weight, being the most recent.

That's why people want rid of Adama rather than lauding him for his great 19/20 season, and why Bruno isn't noted just for the excellent Benfica title win.

Well, he really wound up at Spurs because they exhausted all other options and because the new DoF was Mendes' pal...

I'm not sure it's completely true that he's judged solely on last season at all, but of course it will have some weight, being the most recent.

That's why people want rid of Adama rather than lauding him for his great 19/20 season, and why Bruno isn't noted just for the excellent Benfica title win.
We had done fantastic wins under Nuno. We also had our fair share of shockers. Nuno deserves his special place in wolves fans hearts but he is gone and we move on. He is gone because the brand of football on offer last year did not meet the requirements of Fosun.

We had done fantastic wins under Nuno. We also had our fair share of shockers. Nuno deserves his special place in wolves fans hearts but he is gone and we move on. He is gone because the brand of football on offer last year did not meet the requirements of Fosun.
Fosun should have tried replacing the CBs first

Best manager of my supporting life and best era too. And I would have kept him for this season.

I'd rather that was his legacy rather than casting a Fergie-like pall over every other manager who follows

Enjoyed it today, was great to be back at Molineux, my daughter enjoyed it too, didn't once complain of being bored!

1st half, poor, BUT we were further up the pitch, we didn't defend as deep, however, this meant that the ball in the channel was on regularly for Celta, and we need Sa to play sweeper keeper much more readily if we aren't going to be in severe danger from it. Raul fair too isolated, not enough shots (only 1 i think?) despite there being a couple of opportunities to shoot.

I thought Celta looked excellent, were sharp, quick one touch stuff and some real quality at times.

Felt in the ground that Saiss got the ball and it wasn't a penalty, not seen it since?

2nd half, much, much better, more intensity, more bite in the challenge, more energy, Donk had an impact, in fact as friendlies go it was really feisty, Saiss lucky to stay on the pitch, would have been a red in a league game i'm sure. MGW was really positive and committed when he came on (i think he is going to hit on this season, looking forward to it), Neves superb, Hoever much better 2nd half (although still just relaxes/switches off and gives the ball away unnecessarily too often.)

However, I don't like Marcal, i think he's a player that has improved amongst our fans through not playing, he isn't particularly quick makes unnecessarily fouls and does nothing going forward, he should have scored today, but was a weak finish. If we are playing 3 at the back, it should be RAN and Semedo, maybe he would be better as a LCB, odd we haven't seen him there.

What happened with the penalty? He definitely gave it for hand ball, then changed his mind? It couldn't have been for offside as it wasn't interfering with the free kick, which was a shot? Absolutely at a loss for what that was about? Moss as ever was awful, delayed his decisions frustratingly long and it was his fault that the game had more bite than it probably should have done (helped the entertainment though).

Lage is very vocal and animated in the tech area, regularly waving the players forward, looks too much like Saunders for my liking though....

Anyway, decent crowd i thought (16,341), was a good game, watching football in the flesh is so much better, you just naturally feel more positive, reading this thread it was as if the game was far less interesting and entertaining.

Overall a game we should have won comfortably we bombarded them in the second half, should have had a penalty, Raul hits post, Raul missed a sitter, Marcal should have scored, Kilman should have done better, Traore had a good effort, on another day we score 3, 4 or 5.

I feel a lot more optimistic having seen us in the flesh, though would be a lot more comfortable with a CB signing at the very least.

How the fuck is that a penalty? Blatant dive if you slow it down to x0.25 speed.

Oh and thanks Wolves for not showing us our denied penalty.

Back