• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

RACE OVER: Wolves finished 7th

It will be tough to match this seasons finishing position ( if its 7/8th) but hopefully we will see a couple of quality players in and a bit more consistancy, it won't be just us improving the squad, I'd expect Leicester, Everton, Watford and West Ham etc to be up there again making the 'best of the rest' spot highly competitive again

It will be tough to match this seasons finishing position ( if its 7/8th) but hopefully we will see a couple of quality players in and a bit more consistancy, it won't be just us improving the squad, I'd expect Leicester, Everton, Watford and West Ham etc to be up there again making the 'best of the rest' spot highly competitive again

Probably add Southampton to that list too. They are better than their current position and are probably 2 players off a good side, that's all. Bournemouth and Newcastle will be interesting this summer and next year. Bournemouth are awful at times and Newcastle may lose a couple of their better players this summer. Whoever comes up this year will find it a struggle I fear. No stand out team in the championship this season. If any of the newly promoted teams finishes top half next season they have had a stunning year. People thought we were a good side capable of a top half finish before a ball was kicked and so it proved.

Updated and with great pleasure deleted Bournemouth from even the notional reckoning.

Everton putting themselves on the euro-throne then. Personally I would always rather have the points than the games in hand.

As Punts said last week we are more or less guaranteed top half now though. West Ham are going to do very well to win two of their last three. If they do that then they need us to lose all of our last four games to finish above us. Bournemouth are now below Newcastle so they're out of the running completely.

NUNO OUT :D

Everton look very good recently. 5 wins from 8 and kept 6 clean sheets in that time. Can see them dropping a few points mind you in last three games.

I had them down for 9 points from four last week, including winning this one (didn't think it would be 4-0 though). I think they'll beat Palace (awful at home) and Burnley (not very good and nothing to play for)

We are 10th now. If we keep it that way just think how much it increases our chances of "improving" next season. :smarmy:

If we want to be higher than we are at the moment then the Watford game is probably key, though none will be that easy as Fulham have improved since they guaranteed relegation (probably not the right way round to do it from them).

Can still get there as there is very little in it points/goal diff wise, but won't be violently upset if we don't quite. It's still been a good season (with odd patches that weren't)

I think Fulham is a more winnable game now they don't care about the points in such a do or death matter (like Brighton) so am more confident of a result now.

I dunno, they're two wins out of two since relegation was confirmed. And they were never going to come here for a 0-0 :icon_lol:

We should beat them of course as they are perennially soft and will always give you loads of chances.

We need two wins and a draw next three games to have a chance for 7th now imo. Still hoping liverpool somehow manage to win the title with a game in hand and we play their reserves

No chance Liverpool winning with a game to spare. United will roll over for them Wednesday and with them now out of the CL they will roll over everyone else.

I personally think that them needing to win on the final day is the sort of game our guys would relish and play out their skulls in!

I personally think that them needing to win on the final day is the sort of game our guys would relish and play out their skulls in!

If that is the scenario then just hope we give it a real go & don't go too conservative - won't actually matter that much to us if we lose, but a win could well affect the League outcome and send a statement of intent from us

It would be great to finish 7th in our come back season but the fa cup semi took it out of us,we just can't stop giving away soft goals and some of the players are showing the effects of a hard season i think,now it would be nice to finish in the mid table and break 50 points but i do want to be proved wrong.

It would be great to finish 7th in our come back season but the fa cup semi took it out of us,we just can't stop giving away soft goals and some of the players are showing the effects of a hard season i think,now it would be nice to finish in the mid table and break 50 points but i do want to be proved wrong.

I would agree with this. I want to give the players as much credit as possible, in that we have one of the smallest (if not THE smallest) core first team squads in the division. All the noises coming from the social media posts we see are that they want to "finish as high as possible" - and I don't doubt that for a second. But I also believe the Semi Final defeat (and the manner in which we lost the game) has taken the wind out of our sails. We can't grumble if we don't finish 7th - we've had more than enough chances to make that position our own this season and as we all know by now, we've struggled to find a way to win games we've controlled. I believe, with the right recruitment in the summer - we will be pushing that 6th place position hard next year; but I think Watford will do enough over the remaining 4 games to finish 7th.

Southampton 1 up v Watford after just 8 seconds

Back