• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Rangers

I've no issue with Celtic or indeed any other Scottish team playing in England, on the proviso that you start down the pyramid like everyone else (except MK Mongs) has to.

Could Pompey go bust? What if them and Rangers did, could Celtic take their place?

Could Pompey go bust? What if them and Rangers did, could Celtic take their place?

a) Yes
b) I wouldn't support that, it should filter down the leagues. If Celtic want to play here then fine, join the Northern Premier and work your way up, they'd fly through the divisions up to the Championship anyway.

I've no issue with Celtic or indeed any other Scottish team playing in England, on the proviso that you start down the pyramid like everyone else (except MK Mongs) has to.

I wouldn't want it any other way tbh. We cannot just expect to go straight into the Premier League on the basis that we have a big stadium and a large fan base. I do think the club will try to get into the Premier League but I think we all know that the reality, is that this is not going to happen and we will have to start from scratch in the low leagues before EARNING the right to play at a higher level.

a) Yes
b) I wouldn't support that, it should filter down the leagues. If Celtic want to play here then fine, join the Northern Premier and work your way up, they'd fly through the divisions up to the Championship anyway.

I wouldn't support it but I think that's what would happen.

You know I never even thought about that. Would certainly be interesting if that was to happen. I don't think it will and I would prefer to earn the right to play at higher levels, however to take the place from Portsmouth (Championship team), many people would say that Celtic are Championship class and obviously we would take that boost up the leagues. As I said I'd take it starting from the bottom but as a fan of the club obviously I would be over the moon if we were to start in the Championship, not going to happen though imo.

Long way for an away game - even for us.

What would you're away support do when playing the likes of Plymouth, Southampton or even portsmouth if they still exist?

You know I never even thought about that. Would certainly be interesting if that was to happen. I don't think it will and I would prefer to earn the right to play at higher levels, however to take the place from Portsmouth (Championship team), many people would say that Celtic are Championship class and obviously we would take that boost up the leagues. As I said I'd take it starting from the bottom but as a fan of the club obviously I would be over the moon if we were to start in the Championship, not going to happen though imo.

Would not happen clubs in league 1 would go mad if Celtic just walked in at championship level. If Celtic did join the English they would have to start way down the pyramid ie conference. I think there is another issue with them playing in Europe hilt they play in the English league.

Long way for an away game - even for us.

What would you're away support do when playing the likes of Plymouth, Southampton or even portsmouth if they still exist?

Yeah its some distance, but I wouldn't say it would be a problem. There are leagues that they have to travel absolutely miles for every other game. Take the Spanish League for example, Sporting Gijon to Malaga is 600 miles+.

Our away support is very strong imo. Even in England you will get an awful lot of Celtic fans, obviously it would be hard for many fans to get to games but again I dont think it would be a problem. :D

I think there is another issue with them playing in Europe hilt they play in the English league.

They've changed it now I think - there was an issue with Cardiff when they made the cup final in 2008 but the rules have been changed. If they win the League Cup they will qualify for the Europa League.

Celtic would probably have to become affiliated with the English FA if they moved.

Would not happen clubs in league 1 would go mad if Celtic just walked in at championship level. If Celtic did join the English they would have to start way down the pyramid ie conference. I think there is another issue with them playing in Europe hilt they play in the English league.

Give the league 1 club europe and we get the Championship place? haha just kidding! Yeah I would imagine there would be people very unhappy! As I have said I dont see it happening but obviously would take it if it was to happen. Celtic will not get Europe if we get into the English Leagues unless after years of investment we get our way to Europe but thats even further off than actually getting into the league. It will be interesting to see how it pans out if all these scenarios occur.

You may be right I think they have to win competions tho ie 4th place would not get them in the champions league. I think you should do some of your finest research dw.

Give the league 1 club europe and we get the Championship place? haha just kidding! Yeah I would imagine there would be people very unhappy! As I have said I dont see it happening but obviously would take it if it was to happen. Celtic will not get Europe if we get into the English Leagues unless after years of investment we get our way to Europe but thats even further off than actually getting into the league. It will be interesting to see how it pans out if all these scenarios occur.

Unfortunately I think a majority of clubs would have to agree on it in a ballot for it to happen, if there anything like the pl clubs I would imagine most old oppose it. If Celtic did enter the championship it may take them a few seasons to get into the pl simply due to the fact that I think Celtic only draw in a tiny income compared to championship clubs at the moment. Obviously that would improve after a few season due to the huge crowds Celtic can draw, but the championship is bastard to get out of.

They've changed it now I think - there was an issue with Cardiff when they made the cup final in 2008 but the rules have been changed. If they win the League Cup they will qualify for the Europa League.

Celtic would probably have to become affiliated with the English FA if they moved.

and how would that be affected if the SNP win the referendum and Scotland actually becomes independent? Not saying for sure it would have an effect but it is a point to be considered.

Unfortunately I think a majority of clubs would have to agree on it in a ballot for it to happen, if there anything like the pl clubs I would imagine most old oppose it. If Celtic did enter the championship it may take them a few seasons to get into the pl simply due to the fact that I think Celtic only draw in a tiny income compared to championship clubs at the moment. Obviously that would improve after a few season due to the huge crowds Celtic can draw, but the championship is bastard to get out of.

Yeah I cant see many teams being in favour of us joining in the Championship unfortunately! At the moment I think we have a team good enough to challenge in the Championship, not promoted straight away but as you said after a few seasons. The higher income will benefit us after a few seasons and we will eventually get promoted, the Championship is a tough league no matter what anyone up here says! IMO we are better than teams like Southampton who seem to be doing well in that league but it is a hard league to get out of as shown by teams like Watford, Hull, Burnley, Reading ect..... that were previously plying their trade in the Premier League and now finish mid table in that league!

and how would that be affected if the SNP win the referendum and Scotland actually becomes independent? Not saying for sure it would have an effect but it is a point to be considered.

Good point paddy it would then mean crossing international boundaries which I think uefa don't allow unless your very close to the border of another country.

Not sure it would really matter - Monaco play in the French league for instance, FC Vaduz of Liechtenstein play in the Swiss League, Derry City play in the League of Ireland.

Of course! That is something that would have to be looked at. Obviously they wouldn't be happy with it but I'm not sure how big a role the government can have on where a football team plays! It would be down to the English FA and the SFA to see what the possibilities are and I reckon the SFA would be in favour of it. More Scottish players playing at a higher level and the SPL becoming more competitive would surely be the grounds to which the SFA would look at it.

EDIT: As Deutsch Wolf pointed out probably wouldn't be a problem ;) :L

Not sure it would really matter - Monaco play in the French league for instance, FC Vaduz of Liechtenstein play in the Swiss League, Derry City play in the League of Ireland.

If you look at all those teams geographically they all very close to the border of the neighbouring country ie within 30 miles.celtic however are 70+ miles from the border. I'm sure there is some daft legislation that would stop them dueto this unless it has been scrapped.

poor rangers fans are a unlucky to be in this situation but still some of them baffle me over why they sent bullets to niell lennon just not nice.

Last edited:
Back