• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Scottish Independence watch

Having spent a good few years in export sales all of the above, bar the recession part, mean absoulute sod all when you are trying to get people to buy products. People want to make money, thats all - culture, language etc mean jack in general (unless you get bad PR, but not even that has stopped many companies).

At the end of the day the easiest parts of th world to do business are the EU or the countires the EU (collectivley) has screwed over in bilateral trade agreements.

If you are looking for groqwing economies then there are many better non-anglosphere options too.

Proximity aside there is no compelling case for the overbalance we have in terms of trade to the EU. We can't form a trade agreement with (for example) Canada thanks to our membership of the EU. We can't tap into the growth of the BRIC countries for the same reason. If we pulled out of the EU no tariffs would be introduced because the markets wouldn't allow it. Our access to the Schengen area wouldn't be restricted either because business and the markets wouldn't allow it.

My bets have been placed. Just a few short hours until the effective abolition of the left in this country and a market volatility event the likes of which hasn't been seen in my lifetime.

Proximity aside there is no compelling case for the overbalance we have in terms of trade to the EU. We can't form a trade agreement with (for example) Canada thanks to our membership of the EU. We can't tap into the growth of the BRIC countries for the same reason. If we pulled out of the EU no tariffs would be introduced because the markets wouldn't allow it. Our access to the Schengen area wouldn't be restricted either because business and the markets wouldn't allow it.

Assuming the anglosphere is canada, australia & NZ their combined population is less than Italy alone, their combined GDP is nothing to shout about too.

We have much better chances of getting good trade agreements as part of a big bloc such as the EU, than by ourselves (look at the deal we will get with the US).

Anyway, think we are slighty off topic.... :)

My bets have been placed. Just a few short hours until the effective abolition of the left in this country and a market volatility event the likes of which hasn't been seen in my lifetime.

1) It's been pointed out numerous times that no Scotland does not = perpeutal Tory government.

2) By most objective measures, the Tories have done an absolutely appalling job over the last four years, why anyone would want that forever is beyond me.

Assuming the anglosphere is canada, australia & NZ their combined population is less than Italy alone, their combined GDP is nothing to shout about too.

We have much better chances of getting good trade agreements as part of a big bloc such as the EU, than by ourselves (look at the deal we will get with the US).

Anyway, think we are slighty off topic.... :)

I disagree entirely. People are quick to sell our country short. The things we've achieved over the last millennium or so have been great and I don't see why a FTA with the US would be beyond us.

1) It's been pointed out numerous times that no Scotland does not = perpeutal Tory government.

2) By most objective measures, the Tories have done an absolutely appalling job over the last four years, why anyone would want that forever is beyond me.

We've had economic growth of just over 3% over the last quarter with further growth projected. Given the magnitude of the last recession I think that shows we're beginning to get somewhere. The last thing we need at this moment in time is a spendthrift Labour government. This growth might not necessarily be felt in the pockets of the general populace yet but we need to get through this embryonic stage of the economic cycle before we can have a period of prosperity for all to enjoy. I'm not particularly happy with the fact that the cracks have been papered over with regard to the country's deficit but I haven't seen or heard anything from Labour that points to an alternative solution of any kind.

tbh, as an english person i'm not that bothered if they do vote yes - it will be a struggle divorcing ourselves, but if they want to be independent so be it.

If they vote no and get devo-max, whilst still voting on english matters i will be annoyed though. As left wing as I am, it is fundamentally wrong - even if we do end up being ruled by in-bred toffs for the another 1000 years at least it will be our fault for voiting for them.

Yes or no outcome, my main concern is how much this will impact on the rest of the UK financially. In the event of a yes vote, I just fear some fudge will be reached with regard to the currency and by necessity that means the BoE will be the lender of last resort to Scotland. Likewise I can see Scotland being supplied essential services without "paying" for them as such. The divorce while keeping a joint bank account argument if you like.

In some respects - I almost wish for a Yes vote to avoid the car crash scenario (imo) of Devo Max where the above scenario is just legitimised and with yet further financial implications for the remainder of the UK.

I think that's spot on Andy. I know the left likes to say there are more people in poverty but as has been pointed out many times to people before we are growing and under a Labour government this just wouldn't be the case. It would be interesting to see what percentage Scotland has contributed to this. I know a lot of Staffordshire is currently enjoying its highest employment rate for a decade and the prosperity that comes with that is quite evident. (I am not saying that there isn't poverty by the way).

The Tories have been bad for some things I agree and are a long way from perfect (you and I disagree on the EU but that's another matter). Scotland will find out what a perpetual left leaning government is like and will rue every single tax hike to enjoy it too.

I think Scotland is better in a Union but that is more personal to me than political or economic reasoning.

Correction, London and the housing market are growing.

The "recovery" is also largely due to the Tories voluntarily putting the economy into a deep freeze stasis for years. It's rather like remarking on Wolves' incredible upturn in form over the last 12 months compared to the two years previous. Regression to the norm isn't really that incredible a feat (the economy isn't even where it was in 2010 yet, btw).

The most important single factor at the moment is not GDP figures which impact on virtually no-one, it's that inflation routinely outstrips wages and has done for ages. Are the Tories doing anything about that? Nope.

All this is moot anyway as it'll be No tonight and Dave won't win a majority next year.

Correction, London and the housing market are growing.

The "recovery" is also largely due to the Tories voluntarily putting the economy into a deep freeze stasis for years. It's rather like remarking on Wolves' incredible upturn in form over the last 12 months compared to the two years previous.

Only the Conservatives didn't put the economy in a state of dishevelment did they? (They may of helped if they were in power but that can't be proven).

Staffordshire and the Midlands are growing at a very fast rate, mainly due to the automotive sector.

My Mums family are Scottish and those who still live North of the border have all voted No. Despite the Yes side making a bigger noise, I think the majority of Scots can see the pitfalls of Independence and I agree with what others have said on here already, the No side will be celebrating tonight

The abuse Andy Murray is getting on twitter is absolutely sickening.

AtJUWbu.jpg

Charming stuff. I bet that really made Andy Murray think on though.

Read/heard today somewhere that the Shetlands, which is apparently strongly No (though how they know that is not clear) might look to secede if its a Yes vote & ask to remain in the Union .

Most of the oil is in their water!

In a previous life, I had friends and relations up in Tain so I visited Cromarty and the Black Isle and some lovely places up there.
That whole area around the Moray Firth is just lovely.

My Dad was born in Cromarty & until about 1995 had distant family that farmed near Rosemarkie.

Many holidays spent there when I were a lad

Read/heard today somewhere that the Shetlands, which is apparently strongly No (though how they know that is not clear) might look to secede if its a Yes vote & ask to remain in the Union .

Most of the oil is in their water!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-27138927

The Shetland Dividend. They already do quite well out of the oil in their waters. What surprised me was the link to the increase in the value of the pound due to North Sea Oil being discovered and the decline in UK manufacturing as a result.

Back