• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Scottish Independence watch

BBC charter guidelines mean they wouldn't report on exit polls until voting had closed. It has now, so I guess we will hear soon.

The linked article actually says no one paid for proper exit polls/so anything you hear will just be a random sample from one or two places, not full exit poll as at general elections

Rumour going round on five live that yes has won in Glasgow.

Struggling to sleep tonight so still following it. Some UKIP gimp embarrassing himself with some real racist drivel about 'a haggis in every oven', encouraging immigration 'from the colonies' (WTF?! Is this 1951?) and a smattering of outright lies about both Yes and No campaigns. Why grant these people the oxygen of publicity? An absolute stain on UK politics.

So what are the real consequences of a yes result?

Alright, well, what exactly stays the same? Why did this become an issue to begin with? My MacKinnon family left the Isles ages ago so we don't really have a stake and haven't kept up with it.

The SNP have pushed for independence on and off for absolutely years. There was a referendum back in the late 70s which was also a No result.

Had it been a Yes, Scotland would have become a wholly independent nation and it would have caused all manner of unanswered questions on currency, oil revenues, welfare etc to have to be answered.

That isn't going to happen, Scotland already has a regional Parliament and it will get further devolved powers. So should all the other regions in the UK really which is A Good Thing (we need assemblies set up really around England; London, Wales and Northern Ireland already have them). We need greater decentralisation from London which has very little economically and socially in common with much of the rest of the nation.

I am a rampant federalist so clearly I am biased but Westminster works for the few and not the many as it stands.

Strange to hear federalization brought up in regards to such a small country. No offense.

None taken. The differences between region - and even within a region - are pretty stark though. Just work your way from West to East across the North of England - Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, Hull, Newcastle. You'll find great social, socioeconomic and cultural differences all the way across. We're a funny old nation. We should embrace that, we aren't a homogenised population - but the political system needs to reflect that too.

Remember our population density is very different to most Western nations. Everything's magnified within a smaller space here.

Back