• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Shamima Begum

Why would we want to let her in, arrest her and spend tax payers money either rehabilitating or keeping locked up. Especially when she’s not even remorseful.

She’s made her bed, even though she knew how shit it was. She’s got to lie In it

Because she is a British citizen at the end of the day. If she ends up in any other country that doesn't like her behaviour, she will get deported back here. (Bar the states who will send her to Guantanamo presumably).

She has already been found guilty by the court of public opinion, sentenced by the same court and her unborn child is collateral damage. I would much rather her crimes were tried in a proper court, by people who can examine all the evidence and make an informed decision while at the same time giving her child the support it will clearly need.

It wasn’t so long ago that we were turning people out of their beds in Northern Ireland and locking them up without trial.

I don’t think she has done anything that deserves special treatment, the rule of law that applies to everyone else will do just fine. Anything else sets a dangerous precedent.

She has already been found guilty by the court of public opinion, sentenced by the same court and her unborn child is collateral damage. I would much rather her crimes were tried in a proper court, by people who can examine all the evidence and make an informed decision while at the same time giving her child the support it will clearly need.

It wasn’t so long ago that we were turning people out of their beds in Northern Ireland and locking them up without trial.

I don’t think she has done anything that deserves special treatment, the rule of law that applies to everyone else will do just fine. Anything else sets a dangerous precedent.

This.

Not sure there needs to be a trial if someone pleaded guilty.

Also, not sure people from Northern Ireland went half way around the world, married an IS fighter, admitted to no been fazed from seeing decapitated heads and also having no remorse.

Radicalisation happens in prison in the UK. I appreciate the arrest her, try her, then lock her up argument, but why take the risk of her radicalising people in a UK prison and exposing this country to greater risk?

Tactically her move is a clever one. The whole debate is happening now while she is in a place where she won't be tried.

There are two overriding principles of law
No person can be stateless
Innocent until proven guilty.

Fuck her, leave her where she is.

This sob story that she was 16 when she went out there is bollocks, if you;re 16, you at least know that torture and killing and terrorism is bad. And she joined people who were bad. really bad. Even married the cunts. And she did it all of her own free will.

If Britain lets her back in, she will resurface in the news in relation to terror again, she's got previous and she cant be trusted. Some of you will think that sounds really hardsh but she is waaaaay too much of a risk.

Can you imagine, if she ends up blowing herself up, or assisting others in similar acts of atrocity, and innocent people die..... can you imagine how the families of the victims would feel?

Pretty much this

The fact that she has shown no remorse and admits to not being fazed by the sight of decapitated heads says a lot about her. These types of people cannot be allowed to just waltz in and out of the country as they wish.

Tactically her move is a clever one. The whole debate is happening now while she is in a place where she won't be tried.

There are two overriding principles of law
No person can be stateless
Innocent until proven guilty.
There is no onus on us assisting her to get here though. If she makes it here either by her own steam or via deportation then yes we'll have to deal with the situation, but until then screw her

Surely if she tries to make her way here she’ll get arrested in the first European country she steps in?

I would imagine so. And then that country would deport her to us, or we would have her extradited.

Pretty much this

The fact that she has shown no remorse and admits to not being fazed by the sight of decapitated heads says a lot about her. These types of people cannot be allowed to just waltz in and out of the country as they wish.

There are 100s of people who went over to ISIS currently serving prison sentences so they hardly just waltz back into the country. Why should this person be treated differently than others unless it is just so that politicians can satisfy public opinion?

If, as a country, we believe that people who makes these decisions should never be allowed back then government should change the law. However, I find it sad that people seem to believe she is beyond redemption based on a few comments to a journalist.

She is a British Citizen

She has the right to return.
She has the expectation to be arrested should she do so.
She has the right to a fair trial under the British Legal system.
She has the right to a competent defence, and for a lawyer to be appointed on her behalf if she cannot afford one.
She has the right, should she be convicted, to serve any prison time in a British prison, and to be given adequate protection while in that system.

Everything about this screams trial by media at the moment.

i don’t find it as simple as trial by media having heard her interviewed. If outside of what I heard she expressed a different view in private to the interviewer because she feared for her safety and it wasn’t reported, then fair enough. But it sounded to me like she was disappointed that what she referred to as the Caliphate has failed, with no suggestion she rejected any of the ideology. She’s naturally concerned for the safety of her unborn child and that seems to be driving her desire to come home, rather than any remorse about what her shared ideology with IS has done to people. I’d sooner have real victims of IS be considered for a place here than someone who chose to side with them tbh, ‘brit’ or no brit,

just to add, I’m not sure about the relevance of her statement about not being phased by severed heads and so. I’m sure there could be an argument that such a reaction could be part of a trauma and, as I said, there are people more qualified than me to judge that.

Yeah - she actually could have become inured to that by regular exposure to it, rather than other ideas that could be implied by the statement. It's ambiguous on that point and impossible to call it really.

She is a British Citizen and she should be treated as any other British citizen.

She is a British Citizen

She has the right to return.
She has the expectation to be arrested should she do so.
She has the right to a fair trial under the British Legal system.
She has the right to a competent defence, and for a lawyer to be appointed on her behalf if she cannot afford one.
She has the right, should she be convicted, to serve any prison time in a British prison, and to be given adequate protection while in that system.

This is pretty much it. Regardless of what we think should be done it is the above that should happen.

I am making an effort to avoid reading comments on Social Media on this subject. Any sane voices on the subject will be lost

just to add, I’m not sure about the relevance of her statement about not being phased by severed heads and so. I’m sure there could be an argument that such a reaction could be part of a trauma and, as I said, there are people more qualified than me to judge that.

Precisely, if you read the testimonials of child soldiers from DRC, Uganda etc their indifference to violence and what they had committed was staggering but crucially it was framed as they were victims under UNROC as they were recruited into state or none state military groups under 18. Aside from that in full agreement with Paddy.

I'm sort of split between let her stay out there,or allowing her back tbh,we used to be a country known for compassion and welcoming people of all faiths and colours,if she comes back she stands a chance of getting help to get over what has undoubtedly been a horrific experience,get deradicalised as it were,and maybe have information on others out there that may be of interest and already in the country.
The other side of letting her back,is the possibility of her being responsible for future terror attacks,and if she goes on trial the whole Tommy Robinson/Britain first circus that will certainly be camped outside the court spouting their hate speech under the guise of patriotism and Britain should be white Christian shit

Strange that she (its Shamima by the way not Stamina!) didnt want to come back when she was popping out the other 2 kids, however now her dutch fella
has been caught she wants to come back...hmm.
Regardless, she will be here before soon and no doubt Channel 4 will be making some shit docu drama about her and she will be on Strictly (very Strictly) come Dancing by Christmas.

Back