• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Sheff Utd (H) 25/2: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of all comps all I can think of is Raul v Sevilla? (Except for shootouts)

I think players like RAN & Semedo need to do a little bit more when we come up against a low block (this isn't a criticism) by making more diagonal/less predictable movements and runs off the ball when we're in and around the box - little one two's and playing around the corner etc. For all the criticism (most of it justified) that Doc gets/got, this is why he was so successful in Nuno's side - because he used to make those runs and get himself in positions to score or do something.

As good as we are to watch, when we come up against these sides that play a low block, we're still a bit slow, methodical and predictable in possession. I've lost count of the number of times we've knocked it from side to side with little penetration. It's about finding a way to attack and be successful against sides where we're not 100% relying on the pace of Neto etc on the counter.

I think Gaz will get there eventually, but I feel like Semedo/RAN could be key to unlocking defences, or certainly creating more problems than they have so far. Risk & reward innit?
RAN can definitely do that. Don't really see Semedo as having that skillset. May end up more as a 4-3-3 with RAN very high.

I could be overlooking something obvious here but I believe that Sheff Utd are the last team against whom we missed a penalty in the league (Neves in Sep 2017 at Bramall Lane). Fairly sure we've scored every one since which is an astonishing record, nearly six and a half years!
There might be a reason for that: you can't miss what you don't take. Pens awarded for and against 2018/19 to 2023/24:
Man U 48 22
Man C 48 22
Chelsea 42 18
L'pool 36 15
Brighton 34 36
Palace 32 21
Arsenal 32 31
W Ham 30 33
Spurs 24 33
Newcastle 24 27
Everton 20 26
Wolves 17 34

RAN can definitely do that. Don't really see Semedo as having that skillset. May end up more as a 4-3-3 with RAN very high.
Yeah it'll be the hybrid Toti left back formation. I wouldn't bother and would just play Doyle instead.

Wolves need to score early if not sometime in 1st half. Can't go into HT tied 0-0. Toti be man left off in favor of Doyle. Like his distribution better. Need to have someone (Hwang, Neto) attack the box and make them foul us. Shots on Goal! Need to be able to win against the bottom teams especially at home.

I think once GO feels we're safe enough we'll see the 4-3-3 trotted out again.

Our left wing all play such odd roles, though. RAN practically a winger, Toti basically a LB who tucks in a lot when needed, Cunha (yes, I know he's out) given freedom to adjust his position to wherever based on the other two... I don't think it'll be as easy as flipping a switch to change from that.

I have generally grown to like our setup under O'Neil but I do worry we're pigeon-holing ourselves a bit.

I think once GO feels we're safe enough we'll see the 4-3-3 trotted out again.
I don't, this hybrid formation works.

Going back to a formation that doesn't, why? If he does when he doesn't have the players for it, he's a fool.

Also as you say this version of it has Toti help out the midfield and get forward anyway, and he's really difficult to pick up.

Going back to a formation that doesn't, why? If he does when he doesn't have the players for it, he's a fool.

Also as you say this version of it has Toti help out the midfield and get forward anyway, and he's really difficult to pick up.
I think once we're safe, some tactical experimentation could be a good thing. Could help set us up for next season.

I think 4-2-3-1 could work but not without Cunha roaming behind the striker.

the what? what's one of them

O'Neil doesn't want to just play 1 system. He's very likely going to be looking at flexibility to deal with low blocks and defensive opponents.

There might be a reason for that: you can't miss what you don't take. Pens awarded for and against 2018/19 to 2023/24:
Man U 48 22
Man C 48 22
Chelsea 42 18
L'pool 36 15
Brighton 34 36
Palace 32 21
Arsenal 32 31
W Ham 30 33
Spurs 24 33
Newcastle 24 27
Everton 20 26
Wolves 17 34
Those stats are just mind boggling!!

O'Neil doesn't want to just play 1 system. He's very likely going to be looking at flexibility to deal with low blocks and defensive opponents.
Agreed. But I've been told repeatedly that we don't have the CBs to play with a 4.

yeah, Toti is frequently so high up the pitch he is borderline a midfielder!

Just remembered, Hwang missed in the League Cup vs Preston too when he was shit
Raul being nice to him to allow him to break his run of games without a goal...worked a treat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back