• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Southampton 1-2 Wolves. Verdict Thread

It's unbelievably simple but Traore and Neto on their 'wrong' side makes us function so much better.

We can't forget how embarrassing that first half was, I don't want to see a gutless showing like that again.

Some luck with the penalty decisions but I would say we are more likely to get that luck when we play the game in their half (crazy I know).

Yet again a game of two halves. Rui was MOM for me. Hopefully this win will help the team`s confidence. Please learn from this Nuno, attack attack attack!

Well its my Birthday this week, what a present. What did Nuno put in the half time tea ? Apologies for the Relegation thread, lets abandon it.

Shearers been on the Cyber sauce. Right pissed off about the penalty

yes it did.
it did but didn't they change the interpretation of the law last year that the Donck one isn't a pen? Hit where the shirt is? I might be talking rubbish

The big test will be whether Nuno reverts back to type in the next game or starts with our second half formation in the next game.
we really miss the majestic Boly of course but Saiss is so versatile, he would probably do a better job than WJ up top too ....

That’s about the definition of a game of two halves. The first half was absolutely rancid, Jose, Neto, Traore, moutinho and Donk were diabolical in the first half, so we’re effectively playing with six. Fortunately Southampton aren’t that good so we were only one down at half time.

second half Neto and Traore came to life and were the source of our goals - an excellent run by Traore for the pen - which was clearly a penalty, not sure what McCoist was whining about - and an absolutely brilliant solo goal by Pedro Neto.

I thought neves was outstanding today - gets through so much defensive work and contributes hugely going forwards.

I think Deutsch might be right about Jose, I thought he hid today, was always in a position where he couldn’t get the ball.

Donk is not a defender - for their goal, Armstrong (who is neither quick nor tricky) travelled a long way down the line with the ball, with Donk shadowing him, and there wasn’t really any attempt to block the cross - Armstrong had an age to pick out ings for the finish. We have to upgrade our defenders for people who can really defend effectively.

three points that I’m sure Nuno will say justifies the team on Thursday - I still disagree as id rather be in the cup, but a welcome win nonetheless.

Awful first half, seriously uninspiring. Complete 180 in the second. Fantastic second half. We need to sort out the disparity in performance between one half and the other but that's for another day.

Rui fantastic, some great saves in there. Neves superb second half. Neto and Traore anonymous first half, unplayable second half. That was an Adama I can get on board with. More of the second half performance and less of the recent stuff and we have a player. Still not convinced we should be buying WJ at the end of the season, we need more from him.

it did but didn't they change the interpretation of the law last year that the Donck one isn't a pen? Hit where the shirt is? I might be talking rubbish

unless someone wrapped their extra top around donks elbow it hit his fully flailed arm. I don't understand why people keep saying it hit donks shoulder. were we not watching the same game? am I delirious from lack of sleep?

The “big talking point”... Bertrand, the ball hits his hand, away from his body, shot on target. The Donk one, it hits the top of the shoulder/tee shirt line so, by the letter of the law one is a penalty and one isn’t. Guess which one is the pen Shearer...

If a shot is on target and it hits a defenders hand then it has to be handball. No idea what the laws actually say these days.

Donk wasn't in an unnatural position but I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been given.

Fine margins

We deserved it though

Yeah don't get the whining about these handballs to be fair, there's been lots of bad decisions but i don't think these were. Watch Bertrand's reaction, he doesn't mean to handle it but he throws himself down as if he's trying to say it's hit his body as he knows it's a penalty. Once his arm went up it was always going to be given and Donk's arm doesn't move and hits him on the shirt which isn't handball now. Those rules are quite clear, it wasn't like the Kilman one against Leicester when it hits him in his running stride.

Complete Jekyll & Hyde, as is pretty much evident to anyone who watched. Maybe might've stumbled upon the solution ;) with the tactical tweak.

Rui does deserve a mention as he's been shaky (though I do think it's been a tad exaggerated how bad he's been) - looked like his old self 2nd half though. Claimed a corner and everything (!)

Pressing in the 2nd half was much, much, MUCH better. We're at risk of getting turned and having players run in behind but the rewards outweigh the risk if we get it right. Winning the ball high up the pitch and being able to get directly at defences is something we've barely done all season and it has to help us create chances, if nothing else.

Think it was noticeable how the staff reacted at the end, they've clearly been feeling it. Nothing to lose now, may as well just go and try to win games on the front foot, we are capable when we put our minds to it.

Unfortunately it does put the cup performance in perspective a bit - we should've been able to win that game. If we can pick up some form and finish the season strong it'll be forgotten in time but that will sting for a while.

Nuno was not disappointed with the first half
Ok .......

Back