• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Southampton 1-2 Wolves. Verdict Thread

The “big talking point”... Bertrand, the ball hits his hand, away from his body, shot on target. The Donk one, it hits the top of the shoulder/tee shirt line so, by the letter of the law one is a penalty and one isn’t. Guess which one is the pen Shearer...
Is that you, Glasgow....

Nuno was not disappointed with the first half
Ok .......

he has repeatedly been satisfied with terrible performances. I've called it out several times.

sorry, not to be a negative nancy after a win, but we're gonna come out playing like shit again next game with the same bad tactics. today's 2nd half performance will paper over it for now.

It's frustrating to see so many pundits not understanding the rules around handballs.

Bertrand's arm was away from his body and in an unnatural position. 100% penalty.

Donk's you can argue we got away with it as it hit him just above the elbow. You can say his arm is away from his body but it's 50/50 whether it's an an natural position as he's stooping for a header.

It's unbelievably simple but Traore and Neto on their 'wrong' side makes us function so much better.

We can't forget how embarrassing that first half was, I don't want to see a gutless showing like that again.

Some luck with the penalty decisions but I would say we are more likely to get that luck when we play the game in their half (crazy I know).
I've said it before with those two coming inside not going outside. So simple a change, but so effective. Fingers crossed they keep doing it..

Been a lot of "that one's on Nuno" this season. Well that 2nd half is on him.

First half Southampton trebled up when Neto or Adama got the ball and other than trying to run through it we had nothing. Leaving Jose isolated and probably touched the ball twice in the other half.

The switch from Nuno putting Adama a lot more central took out that 3 man press and left space on the right for Neto/Semedo. Neves also got closer to Jose and we could now link play. Which meant we could play in to his feet.

Would still like us to get early balls in the area for Jose though. Not fully seeing what he can do I think.

Nuno was not disappointed with the first half
Ok .......
I think we started the first half well, with pressure and high energy but then it got back to old school and we conceded..so a bit mixed..but thought energy and all was very good from the start

he has repeatedly been satisfied with terrible performances. I've called it out several times.

sorry, not to be a negative nancy after a win, but we're gonna come out playing like shit again next game with the same bad tactics. today's 2nd half performance will paper over it for now.

He won't throw them under the bus on live TV. I'm sure he said plenty at HT.

there's a pretty big difference between saying "I am satisified with that performance" and even something cliche like "unfortunately things just didn't click how we wanted them to", etc.

but I'm not about to get into such an argument after a win. I'm just not seeing the need to cream myself like we're about to go on a 10 game winning spree. I'm happy with the dub and 2nd half, crossing fingers for more but not expecting it.

The one big advantage of swapping Neto and Traore is that when Traore cuts inside he often has a simple pass with his right foot. If that enables him to bring others in rather than plough his own furrow until he loses the ball it will make a huge difference to keeping momentum and building attacks.

I'm copy/pasting these from BBC so if they've messed up the quote blame them

Wolves boss Nuno Espirito Santo told Amazon Prime: "It was a very tough game. Both halves were very tough. In the first half Southampton managed the game. In the second half we were on the front foot, scored two goals and then defended very well.

"It was a good move before the penalty; afterwards it’s the decision of the referee.

"I don’t agree that the first half was disappointing, it was a tough game, Southampton are a good team.

"We were trying to do our things but Southampton did well, and then the game changes.

"Our standards are very high, our players are very talented."

Wolves goalscorer Pedro Neto told Amazon Prime: "I think it was a very poor first half from us. But in the second half we did a good response and we play like we always want to play.

"We worked harder than them and we scored two goals.

"Being aggressive and winning the duels was the most important thing in the second half.

"I am very happy to be scoring and I have to thank my team-mates for their work. We are very happy.

"We have to take this as an example and take to the other games."

7 points from the last 9.

Good return even if we do still look a little lost. Two 2nd half performances and one overall decent performance. But also two atrocious first half performances.

We're gradually picking up a bit but there's still plenty of work to be done, particularly defensively.

I thought WJ started to look like part of the team when we actually got Adama and Neto near to him. There was one moment in the second half where they all did some lovely one touch stuff and it was an overhit pass from Adama that sent WJ wide rather than putting him through on goal.

Still need to see more from him, I think. But it was nice to see him linking up with Adama/Neto.

Back