• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Southampton (A) 11/2: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say he's been a bit better than Kilman but not by that much and there's still a big error a game in Collins at the moment.

Both the same in that regard. The Nunes thing was a howler by Kilman, one straight hoof over the top. Kilman definitely better on the ball though which may be a consideration next to Dawson who's a bit more agricultural.

Both the same in that regard. The Nunes thing was a howler by Kilman, one straight hoof over the top. Kilman definitely better on the ball though which may be a consideration next to Dawson who's a bit more agricultural.
No issue with having an ‘agricultural’ centre back in Dawson. With how we play we don’t really need our CB being ‘ball players’ . Ofcourse be nice if they were, but the priority has to be defensively

I wouldn't want someone as limited as say, Berra or Butler (to use a couple of examples from the past) were on the ball. I don't think Dawson is in that bracket.

The amount times he just read the pass, stepping infront of the striker surprised me. Looked almost cultured at times.

Last edited:
6 defeats in 7 (8 in 9 if you go back to Hasenhüttl's time)
2 wins in 16 (vs Bournemouth and Everton)
No home win since August
Joke manager

We really should be winning this one.

• Wow
Reactions: b3h
If they play like they did against Liverpool, we will win.

What kind of odds can you get for Cunha leaving Salisu on his ass?

One of my biggest annoyances with Nuno was playing a team like Southampton in their situation we'd still stick to the gameplan rigidly, starting off compact, few risks etc without a brain fart it would keep us at 0 but it would allow the opposition to grow into the game.

I'm not saying go gung ho but I hope we can get our foot on their throats early on. An early goal is obviously ideal to set their fans off but even if we can force mistakes off our pressing, make their players and fans nervous would all go in our favour.

Hopefully Lopetegui is keeping feet planted, it would be easy to rock up after the Lord Mayor's show and end up with egg on our faces.

Need Bruno for this game. He loved a win v Southampton...

I would have said with some confidence that we had an awful record at St Marys. We've won 5 out of our last 6 visits! Shows how much I know :LOL:

Our recent record down there is really good . An early goal would be a massive help , force them to come at us and our counter attack is clearly very good .
A lot depends on their attitude as well . If Jones has lost the players then we simply have to win .

From the BBC live page
  1. 'It is a good, honest group with no issues'​

Southampton v Wolves (Sat, 15:00 GMT)
    82411eb0-6b68-404d-b29a-405d2fc7f6be.jpg

Southampton
    Southampton manager Nathan Jones on opponents Wolves: "Wolves are a seasoned Premier League side, they have some potent talented players and we will face a real test, as in any Premier League game.
    "We have to defend better, we have to be aggressive, defend on the front foot and implement our tactics.
    "I want to impose our style and our game plan on them. We want to create chances, work hard and be a team that looks potent."

'I have gone back to basics'​

Southampton

Southampton manager Nathan Jones on what he has done to prepare for the game with Wolves: "I have gone back to basics. It's all about focussing on winning the game. I have gone back to what I have normally done.
    "I accept responsibility and always wanted to. I have never put it on anyone else.
    "There are certain things, I have always done which I have gone back to, That's what we are focussing on ahead of this weekend's game."

2. Posted at 13:5413:54

'I a not a dictator, I am open'​

Southampton
    Southampton manager Nathan Jones on his treatment of players: "I like to give certain people autonomy. I am not a dictator, I am open.
    "We ask for the players' opinion and then have a debrief based on that. It's a good process and one I have always done. I have improved players in the past with that process."

3. 'I am a religious man...God gives me strength'​

Southampton
    More from Southampton manager Nathan Jones on press scrutiny: "The be all and end all is you are a manager and the higher you go the more scrutiny you will have.
    "You have to have broad shoulders. I am a religious man, I believe in God. God gives me strength.
    "I have had to work hard to get here and believe in what we do. I believe that my track record says I affect players positively and have done that at whatever level I have been at."

4. 'I genuinely think I can turn things around'​

Southampton
    Southampton manager Nathan Jones ahead of Saturday's Premier League match at home to Wolves: "I have made decisions here and I live and die by those decisions.
    "I accept responsibility for every single thing I have always done as a manager.
    "I can assure everyone we work hard and do good work on the training ground, the only thing is I can't back that up with results.
    "I just want results to turn and then you will see that good work we are doing. I genuinely think I can turn things around but we need results and need results quickly

So he's going to make a team not used to it try and press us high. Fine for the first 20 minutes then they'll be knackered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back