• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Southampton (A) 11/2: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Great news if they've given Jones a bit more rope, if we go 1-0 up early on that stadium is going to be...interesting.

Just Podence in for Hwang for me, and Gomes on the bench (he can start if Lemina isn't fit, but I don't expect that to be an issue). No need to mess with anything else.

2022/23: W 1-0 (H)
2021/22: W 3-1 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2020/21: D 1-1 (H), W 2-1 (A), L 0-2 (H, FAC)
2019/20: D 1-1 (H), W 3-2 (A)
2018/19: W 2-0 (H), L 1-3 (A)
2017/18: W 2-0 (A, LC)
2008/9: W 3-0 (H), W 2-1 (A)
2007/8: D 2-2 (H), D 0-0 (A)
2006/7: L 0-6 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2005/6: D 0-0 (H), D 0-0 (A)
2003/4: L 1-4 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2002/3: L 0-2 (A, FAC)

Last edited:
Pod for Hwang and Collins for Kilman.

Gomes on the bench would be great

Jones is going to get one of 2 responses, he plays all their new signings, who go hell for leather in the first 15 minutes in which case we need to be compact, let them burn themselves out and pick them off. Alternatively everyone thinks he's a prick and the team play like ours did against Brighton last year when faced with the same situation

An early goal please. Turn the place into a big protest...abuse for the player, abuse for the manager etc etc etc

Lose 1-3...

Hoping we get to sing “sacked in the morning” for the second week in a row.

Only chance we lose is if we give JWP multiple set pieces in the 20-25yd range.

Hoping we get to sing “sacked in the morning” for the second week in a row.
If we do i suspect the Southampton fans will be joining in too! Which would be quite an atmosphere for Jones to work in!

That's a hell of a league record against them since 03/04.

Cyber would be pissing his pants in anticipation.

2018/19: W 2-0 (H), W 3-1 (A)
As much as I don't like thinking you have something wrong but didn't we lose 3-1 at Southampton when Nuno was in charge.

Boly equalised but they took the lead again about a minute later

As much as I don't like thinking you have something wrong but didn't we lose 3-1 at Southampton when Nuno was in charge.

Boly equalised but they took the lead again about a minute later
We did, typo on my part (was right after the semi-final and we looked like our brains were fried)

Pod for Hwang and Collins for Kilman.

Gomes on the bench would be great
I thought the Kilman/Dawson pairing was excellent on Saturday and I wouldn't be changing it. Prior to the Liverpool game neither could have complained if it was them left out and I'm sure only the left/right combination did for Collins. Kilman's shirt for now for me.

Apart from letting Nunez in for a chance I thought Kilman was fine. Wouldn't want to change the back line after a good clean sheet either.

Apart from letting Nunez in for a chance I thought Kilman was fine. Wouldn't want to change the back line after a good clean sheet either.

There was a few times he was caught out of position tbh. Got rolled easily by Salah for one of his chances and was all over the place for another when Salah curled it just wide. It wasn't really punished but there were enough errors there for me to warrant putting Collins in.

Hopefully playing next to Dawson will iron out Kilmans deficiencies. Tbh I think Collins is going to be better though.

Was pleasantly surprised by Dawson on the ball on Saturday bar the one obvious misplaced pass. Nothing flash, but nice and calm and not afraid to play out. Of course I'd seen him more for Albion than anyone else and there he did generally just thunder the ball down the pitch at every opportunity, but it was probably more tactical from whichever mutant was managing them at the time.

Collins is going to be a good player and it won't do him any harm being on the bench for a little bit. I think Kilman was good Saturday and I wouldn't be changing it after that game. Not sure about the left foot right foot thing. Always thought the importance of that is overstated at CB.

Not sure about the left foot right foot thing. Always thought the importance of that is overstated at CB.
It's the logical explaination as if Lopetegui was picking on form he'd have chosen Collins who has been very comfortably the better of the 2 since Xmas

It's the logical explaination as if Lopetegui was picking on form he'd have chosen Collins who has been very comfortably the better of the 2 since Xmas
I'd say he's been a bit better than Kilman but not by that much and there's still a big error a game in Collins at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back