• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Southampton (H) FA Cup 5th round build up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always thought the league has been the priority but circumstances mean we can have a right good go at this
You want to “have a right good go at this”.......but you want to start Silva up top?

Has to be one or the other, I’m afraid.

I was happy with the 5 against Leicester. We played it better than we have done in ages (still not getting enough men in the box, but Traore and Semedo literally could have done if they were arsed).

If that’s what we’re planning to play for a while then may as well stick to it, particularly with Podence and Boly out.

If give Jonny another 45 at least, Ruddy will play, and then unchanged elsewhere as well, we don’t really have much else.
I agree but it seems we are coached to never ever overload the opposition box for fear of the counter attack?

Here's a weird one. Southampton are shorter than us with every major bookie to win the cup. But they all have us as favourites to win the match itself.

Pick the bones out of that.
I wouldn’t bet on it!:)

Here's a weird one. Southampton are shorter than us with every major bookie to win the cup. But they all have us as favourites to win the match itself.

This feels like something that could be exploited, but I just don't know how.

This feels like something that could be exploited, but I just don't know how.
It'd rely on a bit of luck I reckon.

Back Wolves to win the tie (not to win in 90 minutes, just in case) and Southampton to win the cup on Betfair. Put more on the first bit. Separate bets, not a double.

If we lose then Southampton *could* come in shorter than 16/1 to win the cup, which is around what they're at as it stands. You'd then lay them off at the shorter price. Profit whatever happens. Bonus if someone like Bristol City gets through and they draw Saints away, they'll definitely come in then. Been a while since I used Betfair but as far as I remember it'll even show you the "green" elements of either side before you confirm it, so you know how much you win either way.

But it comes unstuck if they go and draw Man City away in the quarters because they could stay the same odds or even drift, even allowing for them being three games away from winning the tournament.

You could also add some cover as we're far too long with Unibet at the moment to win the cup. 30/1 is stupid. Put a very small bet on that in the background.

@Trips will probably know better than me.

Last edited:
Given we made the Semi Final 2 years ago, I really would like to see us have a right good go.

We will nit finish 7, We wont go down, i woukd like to see us put the best team out and see how far we go.

I agree but it seems we are coached to never ever overload the opposition box for fear of the counter attack?
They were literally in there for the Neto cross. Neither one of them made any run though. Just standing inside the corner.
Either one of them makes the run like Neto did for his chance and it’s a header into an empty net.

They were literally in there for the Neto cross. Neither one of them made any run though. Just standing inside the corner.
Either one of them makes the run like Neto did for his chance and it’s a header into an empty net.
And this is the problem. We have a front 3 who are strangers at the moment. With Raul (and Jota to some extent) they were like players who were on the same page. The almost didn't need to look for the pass because they knew where each other were on the pitch.
Sort that out and we will be a little bit back to normal. Nuno's description is "bringing players into the dynamic of the team"
This isn't easy as i'm sure most on here know.

Their injuries seem to have recovered for our games

It'd rely on a bit of luck I reckon.

Back Wolves to win the tie (not to win in 90 minutes, just in case) and Southampton to win the cup on Betfair. Put more on the first bit. Separate bets, not a double.

If we lose then Southampton *could* come in shorter than 16/1 to win the cup, which is around what they're at as it stands. You'd then lay them off at the shorter price. Profit whatever happens. Bonus if someone like Bristol City gets through and they draw Saints away, they'll definitely come in then. Been a while since I used Betfair but as far as I remember it'll even show you the "green" elements of either side before you confirm it, so you know how much you win either way.

But it comes unstuck if they go and draw Man City away in the quarters because they could stay the same odds or even drift, even allowing for them being three games away from winning the tournament.

You could also add some cover as we're far too long with Unibet at the moment to win the cup. 30/1 is stupid. Put a very small bet on that in the background.

@Trips will probably know better than me.
I'd probably disagree with that. I'd back Wolves to win the Cup, and then lay Wolves for the tie. If Wolves win then your bet for the Cup is still standing, but you've lost a little bit on tie. If Wolves lose then what you win on the lay bet will cover your Cup outlay. The ideal is a draw at 90 mins and then Wolves win on pens. That way the lay bet wins and the Cup bet is still standing.
My bets to win the Cup this year are on Leeds (covered by laying them at Crawley), WHU (all I can do is pray tonight) and Wolves.
But as DW says, whatever you do you're relying on luck to some extent. Which may be why it's called gambling.
My best Wolves betting strategy at the mo' is backing Neves and Mout to be booked against pacy midfields. Sadly the Bank of Romain Saiss is now closed for business...

possibly related to their current form? Think they've lost 5 on the bounce haven't they?
they have missed a few players mind, and TT says they're likely to be back now, so...

I think they've got KWP back, I'm not sure about anyone else

I'd probably disagree with that. I'd back Wolves to win the Cup, and then lay Wolves for the tie. If Wolves win then your bet for the Cup is still standing, but you've lost a little bit on tie. If Wolves lose then what you win on the lay bet will cover your Cup outlay. The ideal is a draw at 90 mins and then Wolves win on pens. That way the lay bet wins and the Cup bet is still standing.
My bets to win the Cup this year are on Leeds (covered by laying them at Crawley), WHU (all I can do is pray tonight) and Wolves.
But as DW says, whatever you do you're relying on luck to some extent. Which may be why it's called gambling.
My best Wolves betting strategy at the mo' is backing Neves and Mout to be booked against pacy midfields. Sadly the Bank of Romain Saiss is now closed for business...
Even when Saiss has played this season, i don't think he has been booked has he?

Not one.

So Saiss becoming a soft bastard = Wolves being shit. So, sort your angry side out Romain

Go as strong as we can in this , though would like Neto to get a game off sometime.

We are not going to go down or challenge for European places so have a go at this.

Would be fate if we get to a final in a year none of us will be able to be there really - a Wolves v Man City final as a deja vu to 1974 and the same result would be superb.

Proof that TWF goes against the grain...

07642BFA-91A3-4401-ACC8-5C5DD6CB2439.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back