• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Sports Personality 2016

Kenny

🤨
Staff member
Reaction score
The Nominees

Nicola Adams (Boxing)
Gareth Bale (Football)
Alistair Brownlee (Triathlon)
Sophie Christiansen (Equestrian)
Kadeena Cox (Athletics and Cycling)
Mo Farah (Athletics)
Jason Kenny (Cycling)
Laura Kenny (Cycling)
Andy Murray (Tennis)
Adam Peaty (Swimming)
Dame Sarah Storey (Cycling)
Helen Richardson-Walsh (Hockey)
Nick Skelton (Equestrian)
Jamie Vardy (Football)
Max Whitlock (Gymnastics)
Danny Willett (Golf)

No Froome.

So basically you had to win something at the Olympics or be the token Footballers or Danny Willett to get in.

Hmmm

Willett won the Masters (BBC Coverage). Apart from that excellent win he has fallen to bits over the later season. But BBC can show some footage so get him in.

Justin Rose won the Olympic golf which was arguably a better effort. No idea why Willett is preferred.

Masters is arguably the most prestigious tournament in the world though. Olympic golf is a joke.

I think the Open and US Open massively disagree.

The Masters is an invitational. Until that changes it is always the little brother, no matter how pretty redneck little Augusta is.

It's the hardest set up of any major tournament by an absolute mile.

Let's put it this way, Todd Hamilton doesn't have a Green Jacket ;)

No Froome.

So basically you had to win something at the Olympics or be the token Footballers or Danny Willett to get in.

Hmmm

Willett won the Masters (BBC Coverage). Apart from that excellent win he has fallen to bits over the later season. But BBC can show some footage so get him in.

Justin Rose won the Olympic golf which was arguably a better effort. No idea why Willett is preferred.

Just need to win (or participate in Bale's case) something that BBC have coverage of. Olympics, Wimbledon, Premier League, Euro 2016, Masters.

Murray should win again for me. Wimbledon, another Olympic Gold, Year End No.1.

Whitlock and Jason Kenny should round out the top 3.

It really isn't. They have ridiculous greens for sure, but without them Augusta is a pretty pitch and putt. They simply cannot extend it and the committee won't put rough in to try and discourage the boomers as it doesn't look as pretty. The US Open consider a winner getting under par to be a sign of the course being too weak. Those are always miles more difficult.

I mean overall set up. You have to be one of the very, very best to get there and then you have to contend with the harshest greens in the world.

The US has started throwing up crazy courses like Chambers Bay which are an absolute crapshoot.

Chambers Bay should have been a brilliant course. Going there before the greens had settled beyond being ploughed fields was fucking stupid though. However there are great courses on the US Open schedule, all of which are better, more difficult, courses than Augusta - Congressional, Baltusrol, Pinehurst, Hazeltine, Merion, Olympic, Oakmont, Pebble Beach and Oakland Hills are all significantly better tests.

I also hate the fact you aren't allowed in any way to slag Augusta if you ever want to get back there. It is what it is, an exceedingly pretty par 72 with very very generous fairways that defends its score by insanely difficult greens.

Its all pointless. Murray will win, regardless of merit.

Of course he will. This is already about second.

And the two and half hours of minimal coverage and lots of stills from Sky covered sports. It has become a complete waste of space, and allowing a public vote to turn it to a money-making exercise has devalued it still further. Might as well watch the X-Factor or Strictly Come News Item*

*I assume that is what it is called as there were two different plugs of it within ten minutes of me putting Breakfast NEWS on this morning.

At last we agree on something...!!

If you had to have a PERSONALITY as well as being naturally gifted at your chosen sport to accompany the hard work I doubt he'd be nominated. But as for sporting achievements can't think of anyone else. Sporting team will be Leicester or maybe one of the "lesser" sports teams who did well at the Olympics.

That one is absolutely certain to be Leicester - look who is presenting the show for a start.

England's rugby team have a shout too. We've won literally every game this year.

I don't get the "regardless of merit" jibe. Murray is the outstanding candidate on all levels. He's dominated what might be the hardest individual sport, (cycling maybe up there as a challenger) overhauling one of the all-time greats along the way. He's head and shoulders above everyone else on that list.

I know - but you have sort of done that before, and won a world cup (grrrr - grudging respect). Leicester are so far beyond their usual punching weight it is ridiculous.

I don't get the "regardless of merit" jibe. Murray is the outstanding candidate on all levels. He's dominated what might be the hardest individual sport, (cycling maybe up there as a challenger) overhauling one of the all-time greats along the way. He's head and shoulders above everyone else on that list.

Only because BBC in their fucking wisdom left Froome off.

3 out of 4 years he has won the hardest event of them all.

Froome should finish second. He won't because of very VERY poor shortlisting by the BBC.

Back