• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Sports Personality 2016

Froome's achievements are miles ahead of Kenny's and Trott's just from a cycling perspective.

Murray is a cert, and I think Mo will make top three. Team of the Year is closer and there is a case for all of Leicester, England Rugby and GB Ladies Hockey who exceeded all expectations to win gold.

GB Olympic Team as a whole could get team award, it will be them or Leicester.

Murray is probably the greatest British sportsman of all time and should be an absolute cert.

Amazing that BBC left Froome out though.

Possibly, but that doesn't make him our best sportsman ever. Surely that should be someone who has dominated their event for a number of years, not just half of one season.

Possibly, but that doesn't make him our best sportsman ever. Surely that should be someone who has dominated their event for a number of years, not just half of one season.
I think it's an impossible thing to judge and fairly pointless to try and compare performances across different sports when the challenges and competitive sets are so different. For instance Phil Taylor and Tony McCoy would qualify based on the domination criteria, but I doubt anyone really thinks they are the greatest British sportsman. Murray is rated so highly because it's a high profile sport which in the men's game for the last 80 years we have been largely shite. In that period he is the best we've had by a stand out mile, but the way he is viewed is as much against the context of what has gone before as his own achievements.

Last edited:
Froome has dominated the tour for nearly half a decade now. Could do with a giro and a vuelta to complete the set and then he is good to go on the dominance measure.

Murray is probably the greatest British sportsman of all time and should be an absolute cert.

Amazing that BBC left Froome out though.

He's not even the best British tennis player of all time let alone sportsman. He's a modern day great for sure but not the best and probably not even in the top 10.

He's not even the best British tennis player of all time let alone sportsman. He's a modern day great for sure but not the best and probably not even in the top 10.
I would say he's definitely the best British tennis player of all time. The game is better than its ever been, the calendar is more hectic meaning they have to maintain inhuman levels of fitness and consistency and he's been amongst the very best for years now. And at this moment, he's THE best in an era that has seen some truly phenomenal athletes.

Saying he's the best British sportsman ever is debatable but he'd be in the reckoning IMO, top 5 for sure.

The top five British sportsmen of all time. Almost worth a thread on its own.

I would say he's definitely the best British tennis player of all time. The game is better than its ever been, the calendar is more hectic meaning they have to maintain inhuman levels of fitness and consistency and he's been amongst the very best for years now. And at this moment, he's THE best in an era that has seen some truly phenomenal athletes.

Saying he's the best British sportsman ever is debatable but he'd be in the reckoning IMO, top 5 for sure.

Better than Fred Perry?

Better than Fred Perry?

Different era but he'd dominate Fred in the modern game. HOWEVER this is the same as comparing footballers. You would need any great from the past to have the same diet and training as a modern day player to compare them and it can't be done so it's all down to opinions

Back