• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Stats and Analysis Thread

I wouldn't mind if we were good at crossing. But we aren't.

Podence and RAN can put in a good dead ball but that's about it.

It's not like they even cross in the right situations, it's bizarre how the wingbacks are relied upon so much but there seems to be no thought of how to get the best out of them.

You could make it simple and tell the front three to hit the box as soon as they ball is played out to a wingback. Then they can play it in early knowing there will be reasonable numbers in the right area. It's not classy or sophisticated but it's coherent, not really a lot the opponent can do if you go for the earliest opportunity to put it in the box, gives them the minimal amount of time to prepare.

Instead you get Wolves attackers nearly always hanging back around the penalty spot, there's no variation so defenders know they can position themselves to block that pass and then your wingback is isolated and neutralized. To make that work you need to get the wingbacks in behind and causing more disruption, either with more incisive passes that Wolves generally don't attempt early enough to be viable or by the wingback beating their man. Still need the variation of movement in the middle though, someone attacking the 6 yard box to draw the defenders in and leave space for someone else to show for the cut back.

Far too much appears to be left to individuals to make up their own mind on, put the ball out wide and watch what happens, rather than thinking the move through from start to finish and instructing the players to do what's required to complete it.

makes the decision to play marcal v arsenal even more bemusing.

Along with Kilman and Neves, I think RAN has been one of our standout players of the season. I can't remember the last time I've thought he'd had a poor game.

Neves
Kilman
Sa
Would be my 1,2,3 in that order so far, but RAN, Saiss, Coady, Semedo and Moutinho have all had good seasons. Basically the whole back 8 which tells you where the issue lies

Last edited:
Neves
Kilman
Sa
Would be my 1,2,3 in that order so far, but RAN, Saiss, Coady, Semedo and Mourinho have all had good seasons. Basically the whole back 8 which tells you where the issue lies
Results wise not that great but has got Tammy Abraham scoring a lot, so fair play to him

Neves
Kilman
Sa
Would be my 1,2,3 in that order so far, but RAN, Saiss, Coady, Semedo and Mourinho have all had good seasons. Basically the whole back 8 which tells you where the issue lies
Not sure he's done all that much for us to be honest...

Bloody phone always auto corrects to that, will have to save as a word

makes the decision to play marcal v arsenal even more bemusing.
As I pointed out when the team came out, Marcal had been the one starting when keeping clean sheets against Chelsea, Man Utd and Brighton prior to him getting injured. Probably why Bruno put him straight back in against a top 10 opponent.

As I pointed out when the team came out, Marcal had been the one starting when keeping clean sheets against Chelsea, Man Utd and Brighton prior to him getting injured. Probably why Bruno put him straight back in against a top 10 opponent.
The maxim is always to play your best players.

Marçal is consistently shit no matter when he plays. The fact we kept clean sheets was not down to him.

Marcal can put in a wicked cross at times, better than what I've seen from RAN.

Still taking the Frenchman 9 times out of 10, though.

Also want to be clear that I don't think Marcal is shit, I just have been so impressed by what RAN has done this season.

Marçal is fine. If he hadn't been so injury prone (my issue with us signing him as we knew about his record) he'd have made a solid Jonny stop gap. Has allowed RAN not to be over-exposed at the very least.

I don't mind him anyway. Weird combination of being fairly solid and technically safe whilst also being nuts. Which I know doesn't make much sense.

Im fine with Marcal as a squad player, back up to Ait-Nouri and Jonny

We shouldn't really need a back up LWB and even if we do I'd rather have Giles. Marcal is shite and pretty much guarantees you will have to sub him every game,

We shouldn't really need a back up LWB and even if we do I'd rather have Giles. Marcal is shite and pretty much guarantees you will have to sub him every game,
Depends how Jonnys comeback goes....Marcal is nothing special but shite is a bit harsh imo

Back