• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Stats and Analysis Thread

He makes at least two critical errors per game, considering he probably never plays more than 60 mins thats not good.

I would always start Ait-Nouri over him. He's becoming one of my favourite players already.

I was just offering an explanation as to why Bruno might have picked Marcal over him. I think the Spurs game was RAN's first clean sheet in a while.

It's Matt PPG Hill all over again
Odd useless fact that no one asked for nor wanted, but I used to work with Matt Hills Dad, he was the Contract Manager on the Morrisons job in Willenhall.

He was massive, must have been about 6'4''

I'd love to know which 2 chances a game he's creating, they aren't the ones I'm watching. Must have been about 12 on Sunday then.

This isn't a surprise to me tbf. We get outshot a lot, and in quite an unsustainable way for our results to be consistently good. We need to find a way to open up teams more often and create better chances. It's why I'm a little hesitant to criticise Raul as heavily some, he's feeding off scraps in many ways (although he is probably part of the problem in some sense too)

This isn't a surprise to me tbf. We get outshot a lot, and in quite an unsustainable way for our results to be consistently good. We need to find a way to open up teams more often and create better chances. It's why I'm a little hesitant to criticise Raul as heavily some, he's feeding off scraps in many ways (although he is probably part of the problem in some sense too)
Yep agree, been saying for ages, even the chances we do create are poor quality, we rarely get behind defences or create chances inside the box.

Sorry for labouring my point, but I am increasingly concerned this is systemic. Hardly an original thought, more one prompted by Jonathon Wilson’s article on Lage and the Portuguese management school at the weekend. Currently seems easier for most to blame the players than the instruction they are under. I wouldn’t be surprised if most of our attackers were strangely more productive elsewhere whereas we could change the entire cast and be puzzling at the same outcome.

Oh also

It's not sustainable how we've performed this season, really. So while I'll be very pleased with a top 8 (or even if we finished 9th tbh) finish, I'll be hoping for a lot of improvement (coaching and recruitment) just to stand still league position wise

Oh also

It's not sustainable how we've performed this season, really. So while I'll be very pleased with a top 8 (or even if we finished 9th tbh) finish, I'll be hoping for a lot of improvement (coaching and recruitment) just to stand still league position wise
Since the first three games I don’t think there’s been a game where we got less points than the performance deserved (Leeds at home maybe but if you defend like we did can’t complain at getting nothing) but there have been plenty where we’ve got more. That is highly unlikely to happen again next season.

Last edited:
The over performance on xg would be even more significant if you excluded the first three games

Since September 1st we've even outperformed xg by 4 too. 17 points up on the expected.

This stat doesn't help either , especially as we don't win penalties ourself. We have had one awarded this season. This table is penalties conceded
1649770383511.png

We are 19th in penalties awarded with 1. Only Burnley are worse. Who do we play next (Shudder)?

In amongst his usual garbled nonsense whenever we lose, Lage did actually make a fair observation on Friday, when we concede possession and the opposition counter, we're really bad at breaking up play in nothing areas, it's too easy for the opposition to get into the final third and then any foul means we're in major trouble.

We'd also concede fewer penalties if our goalkeeper stopped charging out like a loon every single time, regardless of the circumstances.

Yikes.

I'm always wary of using stats like these after half way through the season as real statistics are better than 'expected' stats.

Expected stats are just political economics for football.

Having said that the those stats are miles apart from reality. Either we've broken the model or we're relying on individual brilliance from Sa.

Yikes.

I'm always wary of using stats like these after half way through the season as real statistics are better than 'expected' stats.

Expected stats are just political economics for football.

Having said that the those stats are miles apart from reality. Either we've broken the model or we're relying on individual brilliance from Sa.
I agree, but comparing expected stats from one season to the next should at least show a trend, which it does...

Objectively, at times, we have been much better than last season but also we have looked a fair bit worse too. Its a worry for next season I think.

We've brought in a manager to be more open and expansive and as a result, we're giving up more chances (fortunately our goalkeeper and last ditch defending has been much better than last season) and we are still blunt in attack. It shouldn't really surprise anyone from what we have actually watched this season bar the opening three games and the odd game here and now.

Back