• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

Darlow is ok, better than Ikeme but nothing special at all, many Newcastle fans would prefer Rob Elliot in nets and he's made a career out of being bang average. I've had enough of "he'll do" players at Molineux, we have the financial clout, go out and sign the best we can get, not ordinary humdrum players.

Darlow is ok, better than Ikeme but nothing special at all, many Newcastle fans would prefer Rob Elliot in nets and he's made a career out of being bang average. I've had enough of "he'll do" players at Molineux, we have the financial clout, go out and sign the best we can get, not ordinary humdrum players.

If top clubs are after Costa I'm sure we could do some swapsies with them

That isn't a bad thought actually. We might find a bit of that over the summer.

I'm still 50:50 on whether Costa will be here next season (clearly he won't be if we're in L1, but let's pretend that isn't an issue for now...)

I don't buy the Arsenal/Chelsea links as Arsenal have a billion wide options already and he wouldn't get near Chelsea's team, couldn't play as a wingback (which is where they may well look to upgrade, but he isn't going to do what Victor Moses does) and he isn't displacing any of Hazard, Pedro or Willian.

I'm still 50:50 on whether Costa will be here next season (clearly he won't be if we're in L1, but let's pretend that isn't an issue for now...)

I don't buy the Arsenal/Chelsea links as Arsenal have a billion wide options already and he wouldn't get near Chelsea's team, couldn't play as a wingback (which is where they may well look to upgrade, but he isn't going to do what Victor Moses does) and he isn't displacing any of Hazard, Pedro or Willian.

It might be mendes getting people talking about him. Costa should get into most sides outside of the top six

It'll be similar to how Roger Johnson was linked to Arsenal. It'll make whichever mid table club he ends up at feel good about itself.

I think we need to build a team around Hause, Saiss, Ronan, Cavaleiro and Costa.

We have plenty of promising/adequate backup players but I would only consider those 5 able to play at a higher level.

Promising/adequate backup - Ikeme, Bergoyne, Bright, Price, Evans, Edwards, Iorfa, EEL, Dicko, Graham, Zyro, Gibbs-White, Doherty, Marshall, Mason, Bodvarsson. With those players that is 21 in total so a 4 or 5 of those may have to go to accommodate the 6 players I think we need to add to the 5 we should build a team around. In all honesty I not bothered which 4 or 5 as I think they are all roughly the same standard. I would add that I think a few of those could step up a level, Bright, Gibbs-White, Iorfa, Graham certainly if the injury hasn't effected him.

I think we need to build a team around Hause, Saiss, Ronan, Cavaleiro and Costa.

Well that can't be right, three of these are foreign players and two young players. I thought we needed 'Championship experience'??? ;)

If we stay up we win either way with Costa. We will get a significant profit from how much we bought him for (25m release clause right?), or we get him for at least another six months in what you'd hope would be a vastly improved side.

If Williamson can earn himself another contract and stay fit him and Hause would be fine for me next season. I wouldn't be against us trying to sign James Tarkowski though. We badly need to improve significantly at left back, central midfield and a centre forward. And a goalkeeper if we can.

Ikeme/New GK

Iorfa
Williamson
Hause
New LB

New CM
Saiss

Costa (or replacment)
Bright/Ronan
Cavaleiro

New CF

With Ennis, Herc, Gibbs-White, Johnson pushing to be involved too.

I don't think that is too much to do in one window. We also need a manager who is prepared to be brave and trust young players and play attacking football. That I think is more difficult with the current structure.

If we stay up we win either way with Costa. We will get a significant profit from how much we bought him for (25m release clause right?), or we get him for at least another six months in what you'd hope would be a vastly improved side.

If Williamson can earn himself another contract and stay fit him and Hause would be fine for me next season. I wouldn't be against us trying to sign James Tarkowski though. We badly need to improve significantly at left back, central midfield and a centre forward. And a goalkeeper if we can.

Ikeme/New GK

Iorfa
Williamson
Hause
New LB

New CM
Saiss

Costa (or replacment)
Bright/Ronan
Cavaleiro

New CF

With Ennis, Herc, Gibbs-White, Johnson pushing to be involved too.

I don't think that is too much to do in one window. We also need a manager who is prepared to be brave and trust young players and play attacking football. That I think is more difficult with the current structure.

That looks very good, sad that we are in such a mess currently when most of those players have been available and not played.

The 'New CM' slot does become very critical in that team, it needs to be someone with complimentary abilities to Saiss (i.e. not Price) - I'd really like us to give Prince another shot, but I think that ship may have sailed.

That looks very good, sad that we are in such a mess currently when most of those players have been available and not played.

The 'New CM' slot does become very critical in that team, it needs to be someone with complimentary abilities to Saiss (i.e. not Price) - I'd really like us to give Prince another shot, but I think they ship may have sailed.

Me too although I think he could play in the 10 slot as a more experienced foil for Bright and Ronan drops back into midfield to play alongside Saiss. I guess being armed with a few quid from Fosun we should be able to get an good midfielder (mooy?) along with a Sam Gallagher type centre forward in.

I'd like us to go after a proper left back though.

Mooy would be nice!

It's one of HITC's speculation pieces based on nothing, not even a dodgy rumour. Could just as easily said 'should Wolves sign Gareth Bale'?

Bitton is a top player, a better version of Kevin McDonald.

They have run a very similar piece on a striker called Vincent Aboubakar of Porto (loaned to Besiktas). He actually seems like he might be a good fit based solely on the article but it's all just speculation and linking players to clubs randomly.

They have run a very similar piece on a striker called Vincent Aboubakar of Porto (loaned to Besiktas). He actually seems like he might be a good fit based solely on the article but it's all just speculation and linking players to clubs randomly.

Aboubaker was linked in the summer. I think he is a Mendez client.

Aboubaker was linked in the summer. I think he is a Mendez client.
He'd destroy this division. Doubt he'd come to it, though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Paul Lambert is a known admirer of Aiden McGeady who he tried to sign while at Blackburn so that could be a possibility on a free transfer this summer.

Back