• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Let's get the ball rolling (notwithstanding that we don't know which division we'll be in next season, and not in the way we all hoped six months ago). Those up for renewal this summer:

George Saville (year's option available I think) - BIN
Silvio - BIN (shame, never going to be fit though)
Sylvain Deslandes (on loan at Bury for the season) - BIN
Will Randall (on loan at Walsall for the season) - BIN
Anthony Breslin - KEEP
Regan Upton - BIN
Ryan Rainey - BIN
Aaron Hayden - BIN
Ben O'Hanlon - BIN
Bradley Reid - BIN
Aaron Simpson (on loan at Portsmouth for the season) - KEEP
Mike Williamson - KEEP, FITNESS PERMITTING
João Teixeira (on loan from Benfica for the season and then loaned out to Forest) - ALREADY GONE
Cameron Borthwick-Jackson (on loan from Man United for the season) - NO CHANCE
Ola John (on loan at Deportivo for the season) - ALREADY GONE
Richard Stearman (on loan from Fulham for the season) - BIN
Andreas Weimann (on loan from Derby for the season) - BASED ON PRESENT PERFORMANCES, BIN
Duckens Nazon - BIN

We then need to be trying to get rid of Wallace, Coady, Henry, Lonergan, Collins, Gladon, EEL and Doherty. I think Prince will stay in France and we'll sell Mason if we get a halfway reasonable bid. Ikeme can stay as back up if we sign a better keeper (shouldn't be hard). Burgoyne needs a loan somewhere in L1/L2 but I'm not sure he's going to be up to it.

It'd be interesting to find your BIN lists from the past few summer transfer windows and see how many of these plodders are still here.

I'd bin all of those who'll be out of contract with the exception of Williamson. In addition, the following can all go as far as I'm concerned:

Ikeme, Lonergan, Batth, Doherty, EEL, Coady, Edwards, Wallace, Gladon, Henry, Mason.

Who would I definitely want to keep?

Iorfa, Hause, Price, Saiss, Evans, Costa, Cavaleiro, Enobakhare, Herc, Marshall, Gibbs-White, Ronan, Ennis

The likes of Oniangue, Dicko and Bodvarsson still need to convince me that they're worth keeping - especially Prince who's never really been played in his correct position. I like Dicko and Bod but their output this season has been diabolical. I'd have them as squad members I suppose assuming we bring in a decent forward.

We BADLY need key signings right through the spine of the team - Lambert has already said he wants 4/5 new players to come in and make an immediate impact. But it's a MASSIVE summer for the club and I really hope we see a lot of changes.

This should be a fun thread.

It'd be interesting to find your BIN lists from the past few summer transfer windows and see how many of these plodders are still here.

Edwards since about 2009. I haven't included him this time though as I know no-one else is going to buy him.

We BADLY need key signings right through the spine of the team - Lambert has already said he wants 4/5 new players to come in and make an immediate impact.

This really intrigues me. Fosun have already shown their ambition/willingness to back the manager this season and Lambert has said he wants 4-5 'top' signings. They'll undoubtedly be of the 'proven Championship' variety with Thelwell still at the helm but I think we could see some genuine quality come in this summer (providing we stay up of course).

I'd be after Jota & Vibe from Brentford for a start. They'd cost a fair whack but a front 4 of Cavaleiro - Vibe - Jota - Costa would tear it up.

Who would I definitely want to keep?

Iorfa, Hause, Price, Saiss, Evans, Costa, Cavaleiro, Enobakhare, Herc, Marshall, Gibbs-White, Ronan, Ennis

Add Zyro to that list (I keep forgetting him too)

I don't follow the under 23s enough to judge any of them staying or going so ill defer to others on that one.

Im behind Williamson staying fitness permitting but also us signing another centre half in case he does break again - not Stearman.

Id completely gut the central midfield bin Coady, Saville and I'll go as far as Price too incomings permitted. Nice lad and blah blah but his limited ability is magnified by how shit the others are.

We all know Saville will get a 12 year extension though and Costa will be dropped soon as we need to start learning to play without him.

Let's get the ball rolling (notwithstanding that we don't know which division we'll be in next season, and not in the way we all hoped six months ago). Those up for renewal this summer:

George Saville (year's option available I think) - BIN
Silvio - BIN (shame, never going to be fit though)
Sylvain Deslandes (on loan at Bury for the season) - BIN
Will Randall (on loan at Walsall for the season) - BIN
Anthony Breslin - KEEP
Regan Upton - BIN
Ryan Rainey - BIN
Aaron Hayden - BIN
Ben O'Hanlon - BIN
Bradley Reid - BIN
Aaron Simpson (on loan at Portsmouth for the season) - KEEP
Mike Williamson - KEEP, FITNESS PERMITTING
João Teixeira (on loan from Benfica for the season and then loaned out to Forest) - ALREADY GONE
Cameron Borthwick-Jackson (on loan from Man United for the season) - NO CHANCE
Ola John (on loan at Deportivo for the season) - ALREADY GONE
Richard Stearman (on loan from Fulham for the season) - BIN
Andreas Weimann (on loan from Derby for the season) - BASED ON PRESENT PERFORMANCES, BIN
Duckens Nazon - BIN

We then need to be trying to get rid of Wallace, Coady, Henry, Lonergan, Collins, Gladon, EEL and Doherty. I think Prince will stay in France and we'll sell Mason if we get a halfway reasonable bid. Ikeme can stay as back up if we sign a better keeper (shouldn't be hard). Burgoyne needs a loan somewhere in L1/L2 but I'm not sure he's going to be up to it.

So, more BINS than a series of 3-2-1 then?

I'd be after Jota & Vibe from Brentford for a start. They'd cost a fair whack but a front 4 of Cavaleiro - Vibe - Jota - Costa would tear it up.

Two good players but I'd take a fit Graham/Zyro over either of them.

Two good players but I'd take a fit Graham/Zyro over either of them.

Depends whether either or both come back at the level shown before (more so Graham than Zyro for me) - we have seen that Dicko has not found it easy this season

Jota has been in outrageous form since returning from Eibar.

I find it hard to disagree with the assessment in the first post to be honest. I'd possibly give Randall another year though.

Zyro was better than Weimann is, but only managed very few games before he was chopped in half - no way of knowing whether he was of long term benefit as didn't really have enough time to show that.

My "keep" list (though by no means are all of these at all costs, if the situation changes then some of them can go):

Ikeme (back up), Edwards (on the basis no-one else will buy him and he'll have one halfway reasonable patch of form), Batth (we need some form of back up and he isn't *that* bad, just shouldn't be a nailed on starter), Dicko, Graham, Evans, Costa, Iorfa, Price, Bodvarsson, Enobakhare, Saiss, Hause, Wilson, Breslin, Ruddy, Ronan, Ennis, Johnson, Herc, Cavaleiro, Gibbs-White, Williamson, Simpson, Zyro and Marshall.

There's 26 there and I think barring the first three who I'm resigned to keeping and could at least play some kind of a role (unlike say, Doherty who isn't fit for any kind of purpose), they're all potentially decent players at this level. Some are way more than decent.

What are the odds of Ikeme, Batth, Doherty & Edwards still being first choice players when next season kicks off?

What are the odds of Ikeme, Batth, Doherty & Edwards still being first choice players when next season kicks off?

If you'd told me in August that in our first two games in March all of Doherty, Saville, Edwards and Coady would get at least one start I'd have told you no chance. So who knows.

What needs to end is the culture of "oh, he's alright for this level". Plenty of this lot aren't alright for this level. Look at our results in 2016 and 2017.

I'm suggesting a very hefty cull and yet it'd still leave us with 20+ actually reasonable (or potentially reasonable) players.

Whilst you're dead right that some supposed first team players simply are not good enough at this level, I honestly don't think we're THAT far off a top 6 side.

But to get us up there, we do need better recruitment to bring in the kind of players who can improve those playing around them. We've seen the effect Williamson has on Hause for instance. There aren't enough partnerships forming within the side and it will take better recruitment to find those players.

Weak links in several areas just lower the quality of the side and bring out the worst in players who are otherwise more than capable.

A Williamson Mk2 a few years younger is needed to bring on Iorfa & Hause who have the potential as don't think that he is ever going to be able to play sufficient games now.

A better keeper & any sort of remotely fit for purpose LB will sort the defence & give us a stable base - there is no reason why this should cost enormous amounts of money (though this does depend somewhat on us still being in this division next year)

If it is possible to hold onto Costa then possibly only one addition needed up front - midfield again probably only needs one quality addition

(this assumes that Deutsch's 'bins' have been made)

A key appointment is a new Thelwell. And that's a change that should be made as soon as possible - if we can use our mate Jorge to find us a few gullible superstars as well then that'll obviously help too.

Looks as though Joe hart might be available,he's come out and said he doesn't see himself playing for Man city again,he'd be worth a punt surely,and a decent upgrade? On ikeme

Back