• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

I've seen numerous people use this as a stick to beat Nuno with and it's bollocks really. We had a bad season, everyone knows that but we got safe with 6-7 games to go go and a lot of fans (particularly yourself) wanted him to "play the kids" which we did.

If Nuno had used his preferred and most experienced team I'm sure we could have grinded out a few more points and finished a place higher and above Newcastle but the majority wanted to use those last games as a learning experience and now it's come to pass the goal posts appear to have changed which is pretty poor stuff.
I am not using it to Beat Nuno, I am saying there were reasons outwith Nuno's control that lead us to 14th.
I still would have wanted Nuno in charge, i was saying we know the reasons, we dont know the reasons for Lage's end at Benfica.

The results against Burnley, and West Ham were not kids that was our full team. He went and got Jose on Loan.

I am saying
1. I supported Nuno
2. There were reasons for our shit season
3. He was not error free
4. We dont know the reasons behind Benfica-s bad run
5. Fosun have got nothing wrong as yet

Cheerleading for Jeff Shi, Scott Sellars, Matt Wild, Russell Jones and Vinny Clark but not the manager who brought us all the success doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Have they got anything wrong, yes, of course they have. They've made three managerial appointments and two of them were awful. They've also sacked the good one.

You can't apply that kind of logic.

If they went and signed Willian José permanently and snapped up Gedson Fernandes would you say "wait and see how they get on"?
No I would blame the manager especially in Jose's case because we know we may as well take a Locker and stand that on half way it would probably move more.

The transfer choices were Nuno's not Jef signing Willian Jose, Gedson Fernandes, would be the new managers choice, and in the case of Jose would destroy any ounce of crddibility in a manager.

Cheerleading for Jeff Shi, Scott Sellars, Matt Wild, Russell Jones and Vinny Clark but not the manager who brought us all the success doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Have they got anything wrong, yes, of course they have. They've made three managerial appointments and two of them were awful. They've also sacked the good one.
I am not

It was a team effort.

It was not solely down to Nuno and his team.
The last 4 seasons have been a team effort from Jeff and the board, to Nuno.
Jeff and the board appointed Nuno, who is the best manager we have had since Barnwell.

Nuno was the best manager since Barnwell, I wanted him to stay. He did not now we move on I trust the board to make the corrext decision as they did whan appointing Nuno

Nuno was implicit in tha

JS: I want to say, Fabio at the beginning I thought he is the top player at his age in the world. Now, I think it has even proved that, because not so many 18-year-olds have played in the Premier League, score four goals, five goals, and maybe you can hear more names around the world, OK some wonderkid here or there, but no one is playing the same as Fabio is doing now in the league, in the toughest league in the world. You can do something maybe in Germany, in Portugal, but it’s different from the Premier League, so I still keep my position, I say that he is at least top three, or top one, best wonderkid in the world at his age.

They recognised the awful ones and corrected pretty quickly, Lambert served a purpose which he just about achieved.

Nuno was very good, but last season wasn't. First three seasons were outstanding, last season wasn't.

JS: I want to say, Fabio at the beginning I thought he is the top player at his age in the world. Now, I think it has even proved that, because not so many 18-year-olds have played in the Premier League, score four goals, five goals, and maybe you can hear more names around the world, OK some wonderkid here or there, but no one is playing the same as Fabio is doing now in the league, in the toughest league in the world. You can do something maybe in Germany, in Portugal, but it’s different from the Premier League, so I still keep my position, I say that he is at least top three, or top one, best wonderkid in the world at his age.

Jude Bellingham was available at almost half the price and Mendes wouldn't have got paid an £8m fee.

Jude Bellingham was available at almost half the price and Mendes wouldn't have got paid an £8m fee.
As I said complete hubris from a guy who has no qualifications whatsoever to have that opinion, but does have the arrogance to state it. Johnny Phillips' reply of "Really?" says it all

Yes but Nuno sanctioned the deal he was happy.

Bellingham is an interesting one, my thoughts are Goal Scorers are harder to find, cost more and by definition are sold for more.

It the hardest thing in football, probably why we went for Silva

We wouldn't have got Bellingham.

I don't have an issue with us signing these youngsters, even if short term there is a bit of pain. In a few years time there's a half decent chance we go, bloody hell we got all of them in one window? But if it is the plan, you don't really sack the manager because of that short term drop off.. maybe they have decided Nuno isn't the guy for that job but he's improved a lot of players here already.

One man band.

Well, if you like.

I've seen enough shite managers at Wolves to know that it's the most important position at the club, from my perspective we've messed with it for no good reason and come up with a very poor solution.

By the way Mark, I'm sure it amuses you to post laughing smilies any time anyone says that we shouldn't have sacked the best manager we've had since Stan Cullis, but you're the one spending hours and hours a day on a forum that's built for fans of a club you don't support. So really, I'm not sure who should be laughing.

By the way Mark, I'm sure it amuses you to post laughing smilies any time anyone says that we shouldn't have sacked the best manager we've had since Stan Cullis, but you're the one spending hours and hours a day on a forum that's built for fans of a club you don't support. So really, I'm not sure who should be laughing.
I'm sorry I didn't realise you needed to show your CV to post on a public board.

As for the laughing, stop saying funny things, people genuinely sound like this is ruining their lives. It's pathetic.

Post wherever you like. I used to live in Manchester and went to plenty of games at Maine Road. Would be a bit weird though if I went on a Man City forum and started yucking it up when they said they were gutted about losing the Champions League final. Every day.

Last edited:
But as I say, you have no dog in the fight so how can you even empathise?

When the Portuguese Tim Sherwood performs as I expect him to then I'm sure you'll be happy to say you got that one wrong.

How can I be wrong when I haven't made a claim either way? Purely objectively they've replaced some Portuguese bloke that I'd never heard of with another Portuguese bloke I haven't heard of, hard to say one is going to be better than another on that basis.

Nuno proved to be a success in his time at Wolves but last season was by far his worst and it's not like there were many signs it was going to suddenly improve at any point soon. So I don't see much to get worked up over with his removal, though as with any of these decisions it's only as good as the performance of the replacement.

Lage might not be the big exciting name that would get people excited from the off but every Fosun era signing bar Moutinho would fall into that category for me. I know nothing about the bloke, what his football is like, if it wasn't for all the crowing on here I wouldn't have even known where he was from or who he'd managed before.

Coming back to objective analysis, even the season he got sacked he outperformed what Nuno did at Porto, so in the straightest fight I can pick between them the new man isn't looking the dud that many are making him out to be. The game isn't played on paper though, ultimately it's just a waiting game to see how it goes now.

Nuno wasn't ever, and will never be, some all conquering irreplaceable perfection of a football manager, people need to get over him.

Back