• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

So it wasn’t the manager that needed changing, you are saying?
If the owners want exciting attacking football, then yes.

If you want to stop conceding then better defenders are the way.

Im just suggesting that Lage may not be able to improve the defence as much as he might the attack.

If you're end goal is exciting attacking football, then yes.

If you want to stop conceding then better defenders are the way.
And that’s fine, but it doesn’t guarantee anything, and we don’t truly know Lage’s way of playing to be hailing him as this progressive coach that everyone seems to be taking him as. People are saying we should wait and see to their dissenting voices but also making lots of assumptions themselves.

on your second point, if only it was that simple. Man City bought Dias which undoubtedly helped but it also required them to play two deeper midfielders to them better protection. The system is still just as important

Any well run club absolutely should.

I don't think we come off as a club that isn't well run?

Again, there's this talk of Nuno as an unchanging absolute, or as if we'd sacked him (did we even sack him?) before we played Sevilla.

Managers have their time and, for whatever reason, his was up with us. I'd rather he had more time, but it doesn't always work that way.

Poch was sacked from Spurs because Levy felt he'd run his course there, it happens even to the best managers

I don't think we come off as a club that isn't well run?

Again, there's this talk of Nuno as an unchanging absolute, or as if we'd sacked him (did we even sack him?) before we played Sevilla.

Managers have their time and, for whatever reason, his was up with us. I'd rather he had more time, but it doesn't always work that way.

Poch was sacked from Spurs because Levy felt he'd run his course there, it happens even to the best managers
You said they don’t always have to worry about who they bring in when sacking/mutual consenting ;) someone, I’m saying a well run club absolutely should.

Our club structure is a bit weird. We have a technical director (which I think Sellars explained fairly well actually) but I doubt he really has much authority in terms of key decision around appointments and squad building. We have a chief scout from what I can tell but again doesn’t seem to work in the same way other clubs head of recruitments do.

we are run differently to most clubs so it is different but we will only know if we are well run in the long run. In fact, this summer is going to give us a better indication as it’s the first one since we struck lucky in getting Nuno. If Lage is a perfect fit like Nuno was, it starts to look less like luck and more thought out

Also, using Spurs getting rid of Poch as an example isn’t a particularly strong argument in my opinion!

Also, using Spurs getting rid of Poch as an example isn’t a particularly strong argument in my opinion!

Of course, but it highlights that it isn't unusual for managers in the PL to be moved on when from the outside they seem to be doing OK. There's a lot of stuff we aren't privy to.

Trincao is an easy one to link us with, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Florentino wouldn’t surprise me either. Loan to buy, progress has stalled a bit, needs to play. I liked what I saw in u21s alongside Vitor

Spurs were 14th in the table when they sacked Pochettino.

with a worse manager.

Of course Mourinho is in decline, and everyone sneers at him now, but he was touted as a trophy winner for Spurs when he went there, something you couldn't label Poch as, for all his reputation and ability

Of course Mourinho is in decline, and everyone sneers at him now, but he was touted as a trophy winner for Spurs when he went there, something you couldn't label Poch as, for all his reputation and ability
It was an obvious downgrade at the time. They just sacrificed everything they had done well in their approach in desperation for a league cup (the best they could hope for from Jose).

poch had got them to being consistently the second best team pretty much but in his final 6-12months they had dropped off. Even still, replacing him with Jose was stupid at the time and we know it was now

So now those determined to sack Lage and relegate the club before he's even been appointed, tell us exactly which top 6 level managers we could realistically attract to a club who've just finished 13th, who are available without paying huge compensation, and would be willing to work with our smaller squad and reported reduced transfer budget?
This is the question that should have been asked on here days ago. For all the talk of Lage being nowhere near good enough and there being a hundred better managers out there, I don't think anyone has made any suggestions as to who would be both better and realistic.

Trincao sounds pretty decent, and a AM(R) which we need.

Alena doesn't sound all that. Good deliverer of the ball but not much else.

I don't think we can fully pine for Nuno without really knowing whether he was up for staying. Maybe more info will come out in time

Back