• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Hopefully made of carbon and not glass though
Had a look on Twitter and it seems it's just made up nonsense as Valencia are currently trying to swap him for a player from Betis as he's in the last year of his contact.

The only source I can see on Ake is some mook with less than 200 followers saying his cuz (🤮) heard it from somebody at work.

Only reservation I'd have with Ake is that everyone bar maybe Mosquera that you'd consider for the outside CB spots already at the club are more comfortable on the left than the right. It's a little odd that it's become so lopsided in that respect and he'd only add to that lack of balance despite being an upgrade on what is currently available.

Only reservation I'd have with Ake is that everyone bar maybe Mosquera that you'd consider for the outside CB spots already at the club are more comfortable on the left than the right. It's a little odd that it's become so lopsided in that respect and he'd only add to that lack of balance despite being an upgrade on what is currently available.
Could maybe play Aké central and Coady on the right? He went there a handful of times last season and did ok. Of course no combination of the current lot is going to work if we play a high line, I can't understand why we're persevering with that.

If we got Ake and that CB from Barca we could conceivably play 4 at the back.

The manager doesn't want outside centre halves, he wants a 2. It's just he can't play it, I respect that he recognises that

The manager doesn't want outside centre halves, he wants a 2. It's just he can't play it, I respect that he recognises that

Doesn't alter the point on balance of options though. Ake would be a better option on the left side of a 3 or 2, no-one else bar maybe Mosquera prefers playing on the right side.

Boly played rch before coming to Wolves I think. I don't think it really matters, we need a new lch and a rch if we are going to competently play a 2. Ake would be an upgrade and then you can probably fudge the other with Boly, Coady, Mosquera, although none are ideal

, I can't understand why we're persevering with that.
What’s the alternative? You can’t drop deep whilst trying to offer some form of press or there are just gaps everywhere. Or if you do get the ball the whole team are disconnected.

What’s the alternative? You can’t drop deep whilst trying to offer some form of press or there are just gaps everywhere. Or if you do get the ball the whole team are disconnected.
Then you can't play the press that he wants to (we didn't even do that in the first half yesterday, we sat off AND left acres in behind for any ball over the top, the dream combination).

It's all dependent on available options of course but if you had someone equivalent to Ake but right sided it's a better fit because you've got a more serviceable left sided option to go beside them. You maybe end up with an 8/10 next to a 6/10 whereas upgrading the left side first you maybe get an 8/10 next to a 5/10, numbers purely indicative.

Is being left footed really that much of an issue when playing in the right CB position in a 2.

No one bats an eyelid if a right footed player plays in the left side of a CB 2.

Then you can't play the press that he wants to (we didn't even do that in the first half yesterday, we sat off AND left acres in behind for any ball over the top, the dream combination).
Not pressuring the ball and leaving space was an issue Wolves had last season at times when we weren’t playing low block. From what I’m told Bruno wasn’t happy about it and it changed. If Moutinho (seems the biggest culprit) can’t/doesn’t want to do it then he shouldn’t play.

Hopefully he isn’t falling into the trap of “he’s one of our biggest names and highest earners, I’ve got to play him” trap.

Is being left footed really that much of an issue when playing in the right CB position in a 2.

No one bats an eyelid if a right footed player plays in the left side of a CB 2.

It can be because generally left footed players are very left footed which often leads to them getting their body in to the wrong shape, being out of position to try and get their left foot to the ball.

On the ball it can cause issues to as it will more often than not cut out a lot of passes that could/should be made right footed.

It can be because generally left footed players are very left footed which often leads to them getting their body in to the wrong shape, being out of position to try and get their left foot to the ball.

On the ball it can cause issues to as it will more often than not cut out a lot of passes that could/should be made right footed.
You're thinking of Saiss here aren't you? :-D

Ake is pretty good with both feet to be fair so would probably cope better in that situation

Back