• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Unless we lose a couple more to serious injury, we will not be in danger of going down, but we can now confidently say that 'the project' is dead.

Can only presume that Fosun are waiting for the next TV deal, be able to show buyers that it's a stable Premier League club with little chance of relegation, with an academy that's churning out vaguely saleable talent, and a business that's profitable as long as you can flip a player every couple of years. They'll make multiples of their investment and presumably do it all all again with somebody like Sheffield Wednesday.

It's the only explanation; they surely can't believe that the player trading model they've had for the last three years is going to be enough to bother the top 6

Unless we lose a couple more to serious injury, we will not be in danger of going down, but we can now confidently say that 'the project' is dead.

Can only presume that Fosun are waiting for the next TV deal, be able to show buyers that it's a stable Premier League club with little chance of relegation, with an academy that's churning out vaguely saleable talent, and a business that's profitable as long as you can flip a player every couple of years. They'll make multiples of their investment and presumably do it all all again with somebody like Sheffield Wednesday.

It's the only explanation; they surely can't believe that the player trading model they've had for the last three years is going to be enough to bother the top 6

I think the project now is to exist in the Premier League, I think our European adventure two years ago will be our last for a long time.
First aim is to get safe and anything after is a bonus.

• Sad
Reactions: jlo
I just keep shaking my head.

How the fuck is Lage expected to employ a high press from his midfield game after game after game with just 3 senior midfielders, one of which is 35, and one of which was bang out of form last season.

They really have fucked Lage here, he will have to manage either the way he wants to play or his players game time, but how can he do the latter?

Fact remains with the current squad they’d probably have been better off keeping Nuno in charge.

Oh, he’s been properly sold down the river that’s for sure EP.

I’m stunned. Disappointed. Unsure how this makes sense in any way.

Increase revenue by whatever means, squeeze expenditure as much of possible - literally any other business whatsoever you’d say this is a classic method to increase attractiveness to potential buyers. Usually ends with the buyer realising they need to pump shit loads of money in as the former owners neglected to plan for the future. See Morgan -> Fosun.

Increase revenue by whatever means, squeeze expenditure as much of possible - literally any other business whatsoever you’d say this is a classic method to increase attractiveness to potential buyers. Usually ends with the buyer realising they need to pump shit loads of money in as the former owners neglected to plan for the future. See Morgan -> Fosun.
100% this

It promised so much and delivered so little. I pity you poor sods who stayed up til almost midnight for what turned out to be the most Wolves of days. At least it is only 7pm here.

And we had to endure the DWs doing their best Derek and Clive.

It's got all the hallmarks of amateurish attempts at running a club. I don't think we can ever seriously be in for anyone and we just test the water with negotiating on unacceptable terms.

I'm afraid that we either don't really know who we want or we just piss around with offers that aren't realistic, either way it's no way to conduct business. We have a real need to improve the 1st team squad.

I've had nagging doubts about investment firms, and I thought they had got it right but this is just awful, I wouldn't be suprised if we were being punted around on the QT to recoup their investment.

It may smack of entitlement and even overreaction but with everything coming out the club the past couple of months I'm starting to go off football. I stuck with it during lockdown, but the club are seriously trying to kill my enjoyment.

It's got all the hallmarks of amateurish attempts at running a club. I don't think we can ever seriously be in for anyone and we just test the water with negotiating on unacceptable terms.

I'm afraid that we either don't really know who we want or we just piss around with offers that aren't realistic, either way it's no way to conduct business. We have a real need to improve the 1st team squad.

I've had nagging doubts about investment firms, and I thought they had got it right but this is just awful, I wouldn't be suprised if we were being punted around on the QT to recoup their investment.

It may smack of entitlement and even overreaction but with everything coming out the club the past couple of months I'm starting to go off football. I stuck with it during lockdown, but the club are seriously trying to kill my enjoyment.
like you i am bitterly disappointed and surprised. i really felt that they had learnt from previous windows and would put it right. its not that they werent prepared to invest previously ( semedo and silva) its just they didnt get it right. but now? i dont get it. this window just pisses everyone off.. the fans, the manager, probably the players and it leaves us in a position where a couple of injuries or raul not coming back to form could leave us in serious difficulties. Assuming fosuns global financial strength is sound , it wouldnt have taken much to have this team in a fairly competitive position. Clearly the vision for the club has changed. i wonder what it is now? hope we manage to keep in the premier league with minimal investment or looking to sell ?
i dont think i am entitled nor you. I am old enough, just, to remember the tail end of the glory years and hoped that we would get back to something like that. After all that was what fosun said.

Even if Fosuns ambition is now to simply maintain our status as a premier league team, their actions over the last three months means that is far from gauranteed. Couple more long term injuries and we could really struggle.

I just can’t work out what they are trying to do anymore. What is the plan exactly?

I try not to get too wound up during transfer windows as I’m not overly keen on the entitlement in demanding that the club spend vast sums of money and then throwing a hissy fit when they don’t. However, there is very little that can be said to defend the transfer strategy here. One of our problems last season was having a small squad and it is farcical that we have now made the squad smaller.

Bruno has been properly shafted here and it feels like such a missed opportunity.

Last edited:
I try not to get too wound up during transfer windows as I’m not overly keen on the entitlement in demanding that the club spend vast sums of money and then throwing a hissy fit when they don’t. However, there is very little that can be said to defend the transfer strategy here. One of our problems last season was having a small squad and it is farcical that we have now made the squad smaller.

Bruno has been properly shafted here and it feels like such a missed opportunity.

Yeah this is the post for me, if they wanted to be frugal then why not look for another Marcal style free to add some depth at least.

Whilst minimal contributiors both Otasowie & Gibbs-White were bench pkayers last year that weren't being used, and now we will have even weaker options there presumably. To end up not even coming close to addressing that is a concern.

And whilst it was Nuno who said it directly, the message that they realised they couldn't operate such a small squad seemed to be a club one.

Yep still annoyed and frustrated this morning, hopefully a day looking after/playing with my grandson will reset my mind to what's actually important.
Worst fuck up imo is letting Morgan go with no CM coming in....criminal

Back