• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2022 Transfer Window

We are stacked with keepers through all levels. I'd rather we concentrate on player positions we actually need ffs.
Sa - First choice
Ruddy - likely to leave end of season to finish his career playing, rather than sitting on the bench. Great pro, though.
Sarkic - been crocked for the majority of this season so will probably be sent out on loan again next season

Moulden & Søndergaard I can't say I know enough about (YW, help out?) - but from what I have seen & heard, I would be surprised if they have a future here in the PL. So I wouldn't be massively against signing a high potential, young goalkeeper that can come in to the squad as Sa's understudy.

He's better than this

I think we have to accept/get used to seeing articles like this cropping up in regards to Neves throughout the summer, unless we can somehow get him tied down on a long term deal which would cut the rumours dead.

If we sell to Arsenal for £40m I'll be furious, though.

Sa - First choice
Ruddy - likely to leave end of season to finish his career playing, rather than sitting on the bench. Great pro, though.
Sarkic - been crocked for the majority of this season so will probably be sent out on loan again next season

Moulden & Søndergaard I can't say I know enough about (YW, help out?) - but from what I have seen & heard, I would be surprised if they have a future here in the PL. So I wouldn't be massively against signing a high potential, young goalkeeper that can come in to the squad as Sa's understudy.
Pardington, O'Shounnessey and Young are all professional keepers as well. We have too many, it's needs thinning out

Pardington will surely go this summer? Young is quite good from what I have seen. Jackson Smith will probably leave too.

With the new rules around loans being gradually brought in I imagine we will start to reduce the amount of professionals we have in general.

Sondergaard and Moulden will continue to be the third choice options whilst getting some senior experience I imagine. Both are quite talented IMO. The U18 keeper has a pro deal I think but I haven't been too impressed from what I have seen of him.

Ultimately it impacts little on our first team anyway so not sure why people get too bothered about us having too many :D

The problem that I’ve seen, in the last couple of seasons, is that when our bigger players are out, their deputies are just not good enough for where we want to be.

Hwang, Trincao, Cundle, Hoever, Silva, Chiquito (sp) and Marcal are just not good enough to play for a side with real aspirations of a top six finish.

Now I’m hearing Giles, MGW, Bolla, Campbell etc are “good enough for back up” - well, the problem with that is that, more often than not for us recently, that “back up” has to start games and then we’re in trouble.

I get that out bench is never going to be as strong as our starting g XI, obviously.

Feels to be like quality in depth has been our issue and, if we’re going to make a serious fist of top six, we are going to need at least four or five “oven ready”starters this summer and that’s without anyone leaving.

It depends what you want, I guess.

But it’s definitely the strength in depth that has cost us top six this time because the teams above us have been, largely, shit all season and we still can’t catch them.

Not sure why we think Ruddy is going to leave to play more often. Seems to have been said on repeat for 3 seasons and it still hasn’t happened.

He’s a 35 year old keeper who hasn’t played with any regularity in 4 seasons, he’s pretty much unemployable as a starter. Even if he was going to a club “to play”, it would be at a level where he’d probably be on a fifth of what he’s on now. So think he’s only going to leave when we say we don’t want him, or he can get a better role as a backup somehere else.

Sarkic probably the only one who has enough experience to oust him. Probably a lot cheaper too

We'd probably sign Buffoon knowing us :)

The problem that I’ve seen, in the last couple of seasons, is that when our bigger players are out, their deputies are just not good enough for where we want to be.

Hwang, Trincao, Cundle, Hoever, Silva, Chiquito (sp) and Marcal are just not good enough to play for a side with real aspirations of a top six finish.

Now I’m hearing Giles, MGW, Bolla, Campbell etc are “good enough for back up” - well, the problem with that is that, more often than not for us recently, that “back up” has to start games and then we’re in trouble.

I get that out bench is never going to be as strong as our starting g XI, obviously.

Feels to be like quality in depth has been our issue and, if we’re going to make a serious fist of top six, we are going to need at least four or five “oven ready”starters this summer and that’s without anyone leaving.

It depends what you want, I guess.

But it’s definitely the strength in depth that has cost us top six this time because the teams above us have been, largely, shit all season and we still can’t catch them.
If you sign players to improve the starting 11 rather than replace players from the starting 11, the quality of you depth will automatically improve.

Would be nice to see us go into a transfer window, sign a couple of starters without selling a couple of starters.

If you sign players to improve the starting 11 rather than replace players from the starting 11, the quality of you depth will automatically improve.

Would be nice to see us go into a transfer window, sign a couple of starters without selling a couple of starters.
That doesn't work if you gain your spend from selling a first team player

Linked with benfica b later Martim Neto to fill the boots left by neves, apparently

Signing a 17 year old keeper isn't going to have an impact on what we do elsewhere in the squad. That said it does need a purge. We have something like 8/9 professional keepers

There will be players in all age groups that are there to make up numbers and every age group needs more than 1 goalkeeper. When you add in those out on loan it may seem like we have a lot but we have tending to recycle any of goalkeepers without ever finding one who is ge uine first team level since the days of Hennessey, Murray and Ikeme

A few usually reliable people on the mix saying we're going to have a big summer transfer wise with a deal already agreed

A few usually reliable people on the mix saying we're going to have a big summer transfer wise with a deal already agreed

Can already see Sellars and co talking about how re-adding Gibbs-White, Campana and Joardo back to the squad is already 3 signings.

Miami have an option on Campana. Your point is correct though, it's just that Giles will be the additional player

Can already see Sellars and co talking about how re-adding Gibbs-White, Campana and Joardo back to the squad is already 3 signings.
Campana has a purchase option but we have Kawabe, Giles, MGW, Bolla, Jordao, Corbeanu, Sanderson and other assorted players to look forward to.

Back