• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2022 Transfer Window

I think Podence at the time, the price and position made sense tbf. Whether it was a good signing in hindsight is a different question. Semedo positionally was, value looked too much at the time and has been borne out.

Sometimes he looks like he couldn't trap cement and then he came on on Saturday and the ball just stuck to him.

Except for one he got robbed for a Chelsea attack and the clear chance he had to score which Mendy saved because he couldnt trap a bag of cement.

I wonder if the loan deal we had with Hwang meant we got him cheaper if we committed to it January, I can't fathom any other reason for doing what we did beyond incompetence

I think Podence at the time, the price and position made sense tbf. Whether it was a good signing in hindsight is a different question. Semedo positionally was, value looked too much at the time and has been borne out.
I totally agree.

Podence's value was him being Portuguese and probably within budget. His career stats and time on the pitch/availability less so. We've done Semedo to death on here - decent player [not great] in a position we needed, but way too expensive for us both then and now.

The amount of hate Hwang gets makes me truly question whether or not I understand anything about how to evaluate a player.

It's a bit OTT, but try listing his positive attributes

I think Podence/Neto/Hwang/MGW will do fine next season.

We don't need to sign Trincao, and we can just sell Traore.

It's a bit OTT, but try listing his positive attributes
Once he has the ball under control his dribbling is quite good, he actually looks to use space and quickly interplay with others, and he at least works hard defensively even if he has no idea how to tackle without giving a foul away.

I certainly don't think he's been demonstrably worse than any of our other forwards, personally.

Once he has the ball under control his dribbling is quite good, he actually looks to use space and quickly interplay with others
Once is doing a hell of a lot of heavy lifting in this point
, and he at least works hard defensively even if he has no idea how to tackle without giving a foul away.
Wouldn't argue with the working element, but he has Adama levels of giving the ball away in dangerous areas
I certainly don't think he's been demonstrably worse than any of our other forwards, personally.
Wouldn't totally disagree. In the same scenario if Podence, Raul, Adama or Trincao were available in Jan based on their December and January form then we shouldn’t have signed them either. Him being on a par with the rest is broadly the point, when improvements are required you are just signing another squad player and did so at a point when it was unnecessary

Hwang just isn't a very good footballer. Announcing his signing when we did was literally a social media marketing plan rather than securing the signature of a worldly footballer & I won't be persuaded otherwise. "oh look how clever we are - all the numbers match up!". Yeah, but you've signed a footballer who can't control a ball, can't tackle, doesn't appear to pass the ball or link-up with his teammates, and rarely looks like scoring (I know he's scored more than our other forwards but that's hardly a ringing endorsement of his goal-scoring prowess.

Who knows? With a completely different team around him and different tactics, he might look alright.

Maybe Jeff and Scott our glorious leaders fell for the Liverpool are looking to buy him line, and felt they had to sign him and he must be good if Liverpool want him reports in the media.
This is far fetched though I’ll admit, as Jeff and Scott are world leaders in football knowledge and wouldn’t get taken for mugs by anyone

Maybe Jeff and Scott our glorious leaders fell for the Liverpool are looking to buy him line, and felt they had to sign him and he must be good if Liverpool want him reports in the media.
This is far fetched though I’ll admit, as Jeff and Scott are world leaders in football knowledge and wouldn’t get taken for mugs by anyone

Probably not that far fetched tbh

Tielemans is out of contract next summer, I'd expect him to be moving this summer, not to us obviously but I wonder if clubs might target him rather than neves

Tielemans is out of contract next summer, I'd expect him to be moving this summer, not to us obviously but I wonder if clubs might target him rather than neves
They're not comparable as players. You'd play them both together not either/or.

Back