• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2022 Transfer Window

They're just not comparable are they? Attacking players always command a bigger fee. For example, Jota, who couldn't get in our team towards the end went for 40mill, yet some of us are expecting about 40mill for Neves who is far more important to us than Jota ever was.

Grealish is English and had so much more (unwarranted) hype about him too.
That was his release clause. I’m not aware neves has one. Totally different conversation. Villa will have said ‘you can go as long as release clause is met’. Not aware we have that luxury

I don't want us to sell our best player and sign someone who might be "ok".

It's a small sample size but based on what I've seen Palhinha doesn't look very good at all. He's probably good on FIFA which is why Twitter demands we sign him.
Are there any reasonable targets out there (say c£25M) that are going to be able to replace Neves and look more than ok on the face of it?

Appreciate you’ve seen him play so Palhinha might genuinely be unsuitable but surely I think any attempt to compare the new CM against neves is always going to show we have downgraded (given our financial and reputation limits)

No, it makes our position stronger
I don’t agree. The 100m for grealish is a ridiculous sum. He signed that contract the year previous , with what I assume was in villa’s eyes is no one will bid that, and if they do, happy days.

There is no set fee for neves. I genuinely think neves is outstanding and gets in every team in the prem. but with no release clause there is much more scope for other teams to negotiate. We don’t have the luxury of saying ‘the contracts there, 100m is met you can go’

Neves is probably worth more in our eyes than what other teams will pay as well. Given the amount of money some players go for, I’d want 80m minimum. I think we will end up around the 50-60m.

Don’t know much about Paulinho. But a player who plays CM for Portugal national team I can’t see him being a terrible player imo. But yeah, can’t really comment as not seen him personally

It's not about whether the new CM is as good as Neves...they won't be. It's whether collectively he, the centre half and attacking forward we sign with the money are collectively better than Neves, Hwang and Boly
Only need to worry about neves and boly then. My next door neighbour is better than hwang and doesn’t work weekends. Il message sellars now

I don’t agree. The 100m for grealish is a ridiculous sum. He signed that contract the year previous , with what I assume was in villa’s eyes is no one will bid that, and if they do, happy days.

There is no set fee for neves. I genuinely think neves is outstanding and gets in every team in the prem. but with no release clause there is much more scope for other teams to negotiate. We don’t have the luxury of saying ‘the contracts there, 100m is met you can go’

Neves is probably worth more in our eyes than what other teams will pay as well. Given the amount of money some players go for, I’d want 80m minimum. I think we will end up around the 50-60m.
OK, I don't think you understand release clauses and negotiation so I'll leave it there

Are Neves and Moutjnho that immobile? Moutinho gets about the pitch very well imo, hes a bit lightweight but makes up for that with his shithousing. Neves also puts himself about, he's not a box to box midfielder but who is these days?
Obviously they can get around the pitch. That’s a pre requisite for a PL midfielder. But they are the most dribbled past players in the league, are slow and not agile themselves.

Did we really get the best out of Neves ability ? What actually should he be - a AM or DM ?
If we get £60m then hopefully we bring in at least 2/3 players who will improve the overall team.

Obviously they can get around the pitch. That’s a pre requisite for a PL midfielder. But they are the most dribbled past players in the league, are slow and not agile themselves.
Hadn't seen that 'most dribbled past' stat. I probably shouldn't be judging Palinha due to the tiny amount I've seen of him but my suspicion is, he's got the turning circle of a supertanker. Hopefully if/when we sign him, he'll prove me completely wrong.

Don’t know much about Paulinho. But a player who plays CM for Portugal national team I can’t see him being a terrible player imo. But yeah, can’t really comment as not seen him personally
William Carvalho plays all the time for Portugal (often preferred to Neves) and he's dreadful.

Are there any reasonable targets out there (say c£25M) that are going to be able to replace Neves and look more than ok on the face of it?

Appreciate you’ve seen him play so Palhinha might genuinely be unsuitable but surely I think any attempt to compare the new CM against neves is always going to show we have downgraded (given our financial and reputation limits)
Hard to say as who knows what valuations clubs place on anyone, depends on their own financial state, contract status of the player, how open/eager they are to leaving and signing for Wolves, etc etc.

I definitely don't think Palhinha is right for us at all though.

OK, I don't think you understand release clauses and negotiation so I'll leave it there
No, I do.

What I’m saying is a release clause is basically a club saying ‘we will sell a player for X ‘ with a lot release clauses set above the market value. With grealish, if he didn’t have a release clause of 100m I would’ve been very suprised anyone would bid that much. The release clause basically says ‘there’s the price’. Yes you can Ofcourse negotiate it. But that’s a firm stance and reading between the lines Villa have said 100m and you can go, any less than nah.

We don’t have that luxury for neves. We can say ‘we want 80m’ or whatever value, but it’s not in a contract anywhere. IMO makes it a much more vulnerable position. Not if your Daniel levy Ofcourse.

I hope that clears things up that I am aware of the difference between release clause and negotiation. If not, than apologies… x

I don't think we will play hardball over the Neves fee. I have a feeling we may accept bids circa £30m. He gave us 5 years service I'm sure some promises would have been made in that time.

Re: Palhinha, we'll effectively be getting 10m off the asking price as vinagre will be moving the other way.

Hopefully we don't allow Sporting to shove another 10m on the asking price for Palhinha!

Re: Palhinha, we'll effectively be getting 10m off the asking price as vinagre will be moving the other way.

Hopefully we don't allow Sporting to shove another 10m on the asking price for Palhinha!
I hope we don't get swayed by that. If he's not a good fit for us or the league (and I don't think he is) then it's irrelevant whether we're getting him cheaper than other clubs would. I don't like pre-packed BLT sandwiches, I'm not going to buy one for lunch just because they're normally £3 and Tesco are offering me one for £1.70. I'll still think it's shit and spend the afternoon fuming at my own terrible choice.

It's not about whether the new CM is as good as Neves...they won't be. It's whether collectively he, the centre half and attacking forward we sign with the money are collectively better than Neves, Hwang and Boly

I don't think it even needs to be that specific.

Can the Neves fee allow enough of a reshape of the rest of the squad to play a different way, might not be better straight off the bat but there needs to at least be the start of some noticable change.

Back