• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2022 Transfer Window

If they are honest, a vast majority of people would say they don't have a clue about what that activity is.

Do I think that social media offers a true reflection of it? No.
Do I become incontinent at the thought of perceived inactivity? Again, no.

The time to assess the transfer window is once we've concluded our business.
Very much the stance I took up until February 1st. I've been a defender of how the board did things but with January's inactivity on top of how many windows where we've failed to buy a single centre back or central midfielder compounded by the on-field capitulation I just can't see them improving this team over the course of this window. I would seriously love to be proven wrong (and I may well be) but if committing to buying Hwang six months before we had to and continually ignoring other glaring shortcomings while pleading poverty then it's no wonder people become disillusioned.

A lot of people (not just on here) started a lot further back than I did in their support of Fosun, couple that with some pretty dire windows and ever increasing prices to watch increasingly turgid football it's no wonder there's a level of incontinence as you like to put it. And for the record while I do think our transfer dealings have been pretty fucking wank for quite a while I very rarely bleat about it and my pants are comfortably dry. That could well be subject to change when I start necking beer before and after a game again.

Still think this might be the first domino for us:

1656425266901.png

I don't think Barcelona have any interest at all in Neves.

United should, but they're stupid so apparently they don't.

The club built up enough goodwill in the first 3 to 4 seasons for me to be happy to be of the same opinion. Since then they've got rid of the best manager we've had in the last 40 years, replaced him with a relative novice and from the outside it appears they have not backed him with his wishes in the transfer market.
Spending a huge sum on a transfer gamble and doubling down on the generational talent bollocks whilst the rest of team has been left to deteriorate hasn't left me with a lot of confidence with those in charge. I will be happy to be proved wrong though as I want the club to be successful.

If they are honest, a vast majority of people would say they don't have a clue about what that activity is.

What was your assessment at the end of the January window, or last Summer's, or the January or Summer before that?

Can tell you’re new here, us doing business in the transfer window, you’re having a laugh

What was your assessment at the end of the January window, or last Summer's, or the January or Summer before that?
My views on last season as a whole are probably contrary to many, but this is about the Summer 2022 Transfer Window. I do understand peoples desire to second guess what is happening in it, just not the need to become indignant over it.

I was saying exactly that this time last year. I accepted the decision not to sign Vitinha on the presumption we’d bring in a different CM. The evidence of last summer and the January window is that those in charge really don’t have a clue what they’re doing. They got lucky with Sa and a freak situation where after the first three games we never once got less points than our performances deserved, but frequently got more. By the end of the season we couldn’t even beat a Norwich team that had been walloped in their previous three games. We were in free fall but now despite losing players and bringing in nobody I’m assured by a number of deluded posters that we will be fine. Wake up and smell the coffee, we aren’t even standing still, we’re sleep walking into a relegation battle as Jeff Shi seems oblivious to the lessons of history. Perhaps he should take a look where local rivals WBA and Stoke are now despite looking “safe mid-table PL teams”.

I don't hold with the opinion that any wrong turn is a clear sign that no one at the club knows what they're doing and any success is purely down to luck and chance. Sa being a good case in point. Someone got that right. We effectively beat not just this division, but the World in signing a player now considered one of the best goalkeepers in The Premier League and a definite upgrade on his predecessor.

Nice to have somebody from the club on the board.

Not sure about trying to convince people they don't know what they've been looking at.

Good luck with your PR efforts @Lagesse they are very entertaining.

I don't hold with the opinion that any wrong turn is a clear sign that no one at the club knows what they're doing and any success is purely down to luck and chance. Sa being a good case in point. Someone got that right. We effectively beat not just this division, but the World in signing a player now considered one of the best goalkeepers in The Premier League and a definite upgrade on his predecessor.
The Sa transfer worked out, and they deserve a bit of credit for that. I think *most* said at the time he was a downgrade on Patricio, and realistically on paper he was. Sa himself deserves a LOT of credit for stepping up and for his performances last season.

My concern with the transfer business over the last 2-3 years is that, in more or less every case, we are trying to save money. It comes across very much as a "doing it on the cheap" mentality. It's impossible not to criticise the club when they genuinely haven't improved the starting 11 in 2+ years. We're actually weaker now then when we got promoted. We've gone backwards.

I absolutely dismiss your "we need to judge them at the end of the window" line, too. That one's been rinsed/repeated for several years now. Eventually you need to judge the club in the here & now and they're failing miserably, as it stands. Few weeks left to change that, of course, but they can't complain at the fan backlash they are receiving on pretty much every social media post at the moment. The worst bit is, Shi is so delusional he probably thinks he's doing a fantastic job, the joker.

Given the last couple of months of the season performance wise, you would have thought they would have hit the ground running somewhat. Not saying they needed to panic, but surely anyone worth his salt would have thought right we need an A B C and D and gone and sought these players. Unless they have and it`s all happening behind the scenes, er cough cough.

Given the last couple of months of the season performance wise, you would have thought they would have hit the ground running somewhat. Not saying they needed to panic, but surely anyone worth his salt would have thought right we need an A B C and D and gone and sought these players. Unless they have and it`s all happening behind the scenes, er cough cough.

Getting harder to give them the benefit of the doubt, isn't it? We need something to lift the mood desperately haha

Right now I would expect Newcastle, Villa and Palace to finish above us next season without too much difficulty, we currently aren't catching anyone that finished above us in 2021/22, I don't see "we're 13th" (at best) being much of a rallying call. "We're 8th" didn't even paper over the cracks to anyone who bothered examining it in any depth. Which apparently doesn't include our owners, a cursory check of the league table appears to be about the measure of their involvement.

Getting harder to give them the benefit of the doubt, isn't it? We need something to lift the mood desperately haha
Aahh, that`s just the indigenous fans, our burgeoning international fanbase won`t be too worried.

Back