• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Talksport

mdb45

Reaction score
Hi Wolves fans,

My name is Matt, I am a Researcher at the University of Leicester. I am conducting some research on Talksport radio and am looking to speak to Talksport listeners in order to gain an understanding of what makes the station popular and how listeners feel about various presenters and contributors to the station.

Would any of you Wolves fans & Talksport listeners consider helping me out with this? If you are happy to chat, or would like more information on the research project, please contact me via DM, email me at mdb45@le.ac.uk, or reply below.

Thanks for reading,

Matt

To many presenters and co-hosts with zero objectivity with their opinions. Just often turns into a “my dad is bigger than yours” fest.
Matchday live is very good but the station itself desperately need some new hosts and co-hosts.
Trans Europe express on a Sunday is also a good listen.

Talksport is awful apart from match commentaries. The end.

Only listen to the occasional commentary if I'm driving and catch some youtube videos if the subject appeals. I'll also listen to the cricket if that is the only place that has it.

The fact that you employ questionable characters like Gabby Agbonlahor (go to Villa Talk to see what their fans think of him), Jamie O'Hara (Convicted of assaulting a minor and accused of domestic abuse by his wife) and the convicted drink driver Dean Saunders makes me not want to listen to the station.

Too many Man Utd fans who keep banging on about them.

It's basically ManU Radio and most of the other presenter will only talk about the team they support or the top teams, Liverpool/Klopp - endlessly, Chelsea, Spurs or Villa (depending on the presenter)

As for Jim White, it's just a "look at me and all the connections I have", the architect of the disgrace that is "transfer deadline day", a vehicle for him to break his inside news

I do think that Hawksbee and Jacobs are at least impartial and it makes their show one worth a listen, as well as Matchday Live

I did used to listen back in the early days (early 2000s then) and quite liked in then - it was on the sadly defunct world satellite radio service and was a great way to catch up on UK sport. Quite liked Durham back then, don't think he's on anymore

Too many Man Utd fans who keep banging on about them.

It's basically ManU Radio and most of the other presenter will only talk about the team they support or the top teams, Liverpool/Klopp - endlessly, Chelsea, Spurs or Villa (depending on the presenter)
Yep, Goldstein being the worst culprit

Shebahn Aherne is highly irritating , especially at 6am. Max Rushden is embarrassingly juvenile for a man in his 40s

Serious presenters like Danny Kelly should get more prime time coverage than idiots like Goldstein and Rushden

I did used to listen back in the early days (early 2000s then) and quite liked in then - it was on the sadly defunct world satellite radio service and was a great way to catch up on UK sport. Quite liked Durham back then, don't think he's on anymore
He doesn't do Drive any more, that became Goldstein's Man United Drive but he does do a lot of commentary for live matches around the UK and Europe

I used to listen to it until you realise that whenever there is a topic the presenters take opposing views and then argue about it to generate interactions.

I can't possibly believe that on every single topic there is never a consensus, as soon as I realised that i stopped listening as it's essentially manufacturing outrage.

I realise it's not only talksport that do this....

How about covering the game at lower levels... OK, it may not drive revenue as much as the Prem. but let's hear about the issues at other clubs down the leagues. Start employing some of the folks involved to give their insights into their struggles. Contributing to the wider football audience would freshen things up.

If only there was a serious sports station.
Half the time is spent on quiz questions or topics unrelated to sport. I know it’s an old complaint but virtually nothing outside the top six is discussed until the relegation battles happen at the end of the season. No coverage of any of the other leagues. It is such a frustrating waste of airspace.

It does what drives higher listening figures and therefore higher advertising revenue, that's the Sky 6 and wummery. Yet another 20 minutes on Man Utd will deliver more than 20 mins on Swindon Town. Talksport 2 has some decent lower league coverage and other sports if you are looking for that

As @Tony Towner says they play the audience just right and tailor it to the clubs with the most fans.
As said Adrian Durham is very good on Match Day live as are a lot of the guys who work on talkSPORT 2 ie Ian Danter. Simple reason they’ve got to report the facts not conjecture and clickbait.
Jim White anglophobic stance is probably the worst kept secret also.

Talksport have a very solid formula of “say something outlandish, try to justify it & then plug a premium rate phone number to vent your disagreement”

They love to rattle the cage and it translates to social media views (on clipped videos) & higher listenership figures which means they can ask for higher advertisement revenue. (As stated above)

Back