• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Technology and Football

There was a question raised on twitter last night that I thought was interesting. Say the ball is played through to the striker, offside flag goes up, whistle is blown, keeper then stops and striker rolls it in. What happens if VAR then shows the player was onside?

There was a question raised on twitter last night that I thought was interesting. Say the ball is played through to the striker, offside flag goes up, whistle is blown, keeper then stops and striker rolls it in. What happens if VAR then shows the player was onside?
The play stops when the ref blows the whistle irrespective of whether it was the right call or not. It only applies to situations like last night where the ball is in the net before the ref acknowledges the flag.

Let's say for example that our left back is an absolute pile of shite (it's fanciful talk I know, but just imagine if that were the case). We can, if we want, drop him, buy a new one, play a kid from the Academy, loads of options available to us in theory to fix that issue.

If we get Mark Halsey on a special day then we can't do anything about that.

Just reading through this thread and this post made me laugh :icon_lol:

The play stops when the ref blows the whistle irrespective of whether it was the right call or not. It only applies to situations like last night where the ball is in the net before the ref acknowledges the flag.

The assistants will get in the habit of not flagging for anything even close to marginal otherwise lots of potential goals won’t happen as play stops when it shouldn’t have. Better to let play run and then sort out after if it was offside or not. Not sure what happens if the ball stays in play though following a shot at goal.

It’s a bit like in the NFL where they don’t blow a play dead just in case it was a true fumble or OB or whatever as they run the risk of stopping a play prematurely even though it was pretty obvious he was down before the ball came out. Not as much of an issue in a game which is stop start anyway

I'm not sure why people are trying to make it more complicated than it is. It's pretty obvious the situations it will be used for. I haven't got a problem if the linesman never flags a controversial goal again as long as the right outcome is awarded.

I think it will be a pain in the arse and will slow play far too much. Linesmen are there to do a job, so they should do it.

I think it will be a pain in the arse and will slow play far too much. Linesmen are there to do a job, so they should do it.

I agree Paddy, every time I've seen VAR utilised (in any sport) it's taken 2-3 minutes. Football will lose its fluidity which is for the worse.

It was 67 seconds last night and the right result was come to, however I don't like it, I enjoy the spontaneity of the game and don't like the delay. Shocking decisions should come with accountability, I'm looking at you Mr Halsey. Last nights wasn't shocking, it was an incorrect judgement call. We probably scored a winner on Saturday and of course I'd rather it was given, but from a wider game perspective I'm glad the decision wasn't overruled.

I agree Paddy, every time I've seen VAR utilised (in any sport) it's taken 2-3 minutes. Football will lose its fluidity which is for the worse.

Yes but in rugby the longest breaks are if for example there's a ball grounding query through a sea of people that needs viewing from several angles.

For me it also takes the banter and talking points away from people after the game. It will no longer be "oh you jammy bastards got lucky with an offside goal" it will be "well the video ref gave a deserved goal fair play, you lucky so and so's"

What magic fluidity is football losing by way of VAR? Maybe we should outlaw long goal kicks, or send off players who pass the ball out of play...

What you mean like a player pretending to be injured for 2 or 3 minutes.

For me it also takes the banter and talking points away from people after the game. It will no longer be "oh you jammy bastards got lucky with an offside goal" it will be "well the video ref gave a deserved goal fair play, you lucky so and so's"

Yeah, let’s get decisions wrong, so we can have a good chat about it in the pub.

Not against VAR, but the current system is pants and I’m not sure who thought it was good. The replays need to be available to fans at the game and to the viewers at home, like they are in Rugby, cricket, tennis, NFL. Not sure why football thought they should be different.

Yeah, let’s get decisions wrong, so we can have a good chat about it in the pub.

Hold on a minute, I bet you do the cameras don't you, I bet you've got a vested interest, I'm going to check for the Spillard Stadium 360 :)

They can speed it up by reviewing decisions automatically just in case the ref asks for it. Shouldn't take more than 30s then.

Last edited:
Ref doesn't use VAR and gets it wrong. Blithering idiot in front of the screen doesn't refer it. Rank refereeing all round.

How do people feel VAR is working after a few games?

Specifically, are decisions correct and does the delay impact the game?

Back