• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2014/15 Promotion Push Run-In Thread

Hope Parkin prediction of 7th is wrong where we only just miss out.

Sorry for that - was feeling 'bilious' when I typed it after an irritating work day immediately following witnessing the Bournemouth defeat & a grotty journey home.

Still as my predictions are unfailingly mediocre I wouldn't worry too much :icon_smile:

Sorry for that - was feeling 'bilious' when I typed it after an irritating work day immediately following witnessing the Bournemouth defeat & a grotty journey home.

Still as my predictions are unfailingly mediocre I wouldn't worry too much :icon_smile:

I wish mine were that good...!!

Had 5 games on my fixed odds bet last week 4 I backed lost!

This team is nowhere near ready for the premiership as we cannot beat the teams above us in this league. Win the league next season and go up.

That's not really the point though is it. We go up and we are instantly in a much stronger position even if we come straight back down due to the wads of cash that would come our way. I'll take promotion this year even if we scrape into the play offs on the last day and then fluke our way through to winning them.

Lewis Grabban going in for an ankle op so another blow for Norwich - he's been in very good form. Although they do have a lot of capable forwards for this level.

Derby Norwich Blackburn Watford Middlesbrough have some quality names on their books and by that players who have been or could do a job in the premiership and therefore that gives them nouse. Not always enough to challenge hence Blackburn but on paper their squads look to have more quality in depth than ours.
Norwich for example Ruddy Redmond Jerome, Howson Grabban Cuellar Hoolihan should all be capable or have been capaable of playing at higher level Derby have Bent Martin,Ince Butland Warnock Blackburn have Rhodes Gestede, Spearing Etuhu Dunn Baptiste Kilgallon, Bora have Kike Bamford Ayala Leadbitter Whitehead and Tomlin Watford have Deeney Anya Vydra Neil and Gomes. These are just random names from their squads but it does show their depth and experience. We have TK Stearman, Doyle Edwards and Ricketts. While I agree Sako Macdonald Dicko and Afobe are quality there are a number of names in the other squads as good if not better or more proven at the higher level. We are where we should be with the quality we have. If we make the play offs we have over achieved. Palace did that a few years ago and it hasnt hurt them

Sorry but that is the biggest load of rubbish I have ever read. You have just picked household names.

Household names do not represent quality. Dunn? Jesus

Maybe I'm hallucinating, but Etuhu doesn't even play for Blackburn.

Anyway the only players I'd have off Blackburn at the moment are King, Baptiste, and Rhodes.

Sorry but that is the biggest load of rubbish I have ever read. You have just picked household names.

Household names do not represent quality. Dunn? Jesus

Derby Norwich Blackburn Watford Middlesbrough have some quality names on their books and by that players who have been or could do a job in the premiership
These are just random names from their squads but it does show their depth and experience

Puntswolf please read the post properly before replying The question was " which teams have higher individual quality than us? to which I replied I thought there were and picked names at RANDOM from the squads who had premiership experience, or had consistently performed at Premiership level or could do a job. Quite happy to debate points but dont rubbish things its rude and unnecessary

and whilst I agree Dunn is at the end of a career that promised much and didnt quite acheive his stats are

Club Season League FA Cup League Cup Other Total
Division Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals
Blackburn Rovers 1998–99[14] Premier League 15 1 3 0 2 0 0 0 19 1
1999–2000[15] Division One 22 2 1 0 3 1 — 26 3
2000–01[16] Division One 42 12 5 2 5 4 — 52 18
2001–02[17] Premier League 29 7 2 1 5 0 — 36 8
2002–03[18] Premier League 28 8 2 0 2 0 4[a] 0 36 8
Total 136 30 13 3 17 5 4 0 169 38
Birmingham City 2003–04[19] Premier League 21 2 3 0 1 0 — 25 2
2004–05[20] Premier League 11 2 0 0 1 0 — 12 2
2005–06[21] Premier League 15 2 3 1 2 0 — 20 3
2006–07[5] Championship 11 1 0 0 1 0 — 12 1
Total 58 7 6 1 5 0 — 69 8
Blackburn Rovers 2006–07[5] Premier League 11 0 3 0 — 2[a] 0 16 0
2007–08[6] Premier League 31 1 0 0 3 0 4 0 38 1
2008–09[8] Premier League 15 1 2 0 0 0 — 17 1
2009–10[22] Premier League 23 9 1 0 4 1 — 28 10
2010–11[23] Premier League 27 2 0 0 0 0 — 27 2
2011–12[24] Premier League 26 2 0 0 2 0 — 28 1
2012–13[25] Championship 15 1 3 0 0 0 — 18 1
2013–14[26] Championship 23 4 0 0 1 0 — 24 4
Total 171 20 9 0 10 1 6 0 196 21
Career total 365 57 28 4 32 6 10 0 434 67

Hardly rubbish mate.

Sorry didn't mean to be rude, just thought it was terrible. Not only was it difficult to read but the content wasn't much better.

Let's not get caught up on David Dunn, one of the best midfielders in the PL at one point, so WAS quality but is not anymore. But Dunn irrelevant.

I could practically argue with all your list, but again it's pointless. My point is, you have said these teams have quality as they have a few household names, but that means nothing. QPR have tons of household names, they are shit.

We still seem to be unable to field 'our best 11' most weeks. Too much tinkering, and having to involve Edwards, who i think is a waste of a shirt. We could end up missing a great opportunity this year, because who knows about next year.

I really don't get this we are not ready debate, who cares if we are ready - promotion apparently is worth 80 million quid, new players the possibility of Sako signing a new deal, to me it's a no brainer it might mean we are in for a few drubbings next season but the financial gain to the club means I could cope with that, I also feel the championship is pretty weak this season compared with past seasons and I'm sure it will be much harder next year, this kind of chance might not come around again for a long time we need to grab it with both hands!

I don't think we'll make the playoffs but I hope we do. If we get in them I hope we win them, again I don't think that's likely. If we did go up we can cross the 'not ready' bridge when we get to it. My more realistic hope is that next year with a couple of additions and a years experience under their belt we make a big push for the top two as the likes of Bournemouth, Derby, Watford and Middlesborough have done this time around. I think getting those additions right is key and we've been more miss than hit this year, also hope Kenny loses his Edwards obsession over the summer too.

Forget the league table as it stands, I'd be bitterly disappointed if this squad didn't at least make the play offs. I'd have to view it as a failure if we didn't get promoted, this squad should have nothing to fear from any team in this league. Strange because before the season if you'd offered me mid table with clear signs of the team growing and a few more youngsters establishing themselves in the first XI I'd have taken it.

I don't really understand how we can get any more "ready" by spending another year in the Championship. We'd lose Sako and potentially other top players (KMac, Dicko, Afobe) so we'd be starting from a deficit. Plus, it's not like we'd be able to sign Prem-ready players, so we'd be in the same position in 12 months time, with less money in the pot.

Yeah it drives me mad. People seem to think we will improve by default and then obviously get an automatic spot. People seem to forget that for most of our recent history we have been struggling to get out this league despite throwing money at it.

Get out when you can

We should go up as soon as we can & worry about what we need to do when that's been achieved. As Machin said there is a danger of losing some of the assets that we would want to keep & won't be any easier to bring people in.

We are still in the mix, but worry that we are still just a little light to be able to make it this time.

However, reports that Jacobs possibly being allowed out on loan & can't think we would do that if no one coming in. Depends who that is which might push us over the line - get a play off place & anything is then possible

Fuck it - let's fucking go for it and just see where we are come the end of May. There is no guarantee that those about to drop from the top flight will be weak. Villa in this division anyone, or say Everton? Get up now, take the cash and try and hold on for one season to get the stupidly huge money for the season after when the new deal kicks in.

Fuck it - let's fucking go for it and just see where we are come the end of May. There is no guarantee that those about to drop from the top flight will be weak. Villa in this division anyone, or say Everton? Get up now, take the cash and try and hold on for one season to get the stupidly huge money for the season after when the new deal kicks in.

Won't disagree with that - we are not going to be relegated from here & are still within touching distance of the potential promotion places.

All out attack & if we come up short then so be it - can't think other managers are going to expect that so the shock value may win us sufficient points. (Maybe Kenny's joke formation on the pre Watford thread is worth trying :icon_smile:)

Back