• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2016 Open Championship (Royal Troon), who's gonna win?

The pictures are fine. Amazing what having Sky cameramen does for following the ball in flight. The commentary is nothing short of abominable though. Brown and Alliss are just horrendous.

BBC's coverage is shit and has been for years on most sport, i'm glad it's on Sky as the quality of the coverage from the presenters to the commentators to the analysis is on a different level.

The problem with golf going to Sky is it becomes marginalised just as cricket has. Kids don't watch it and don't want to play the game. Joe Root on BBC1 finishes in the Top 3 of SPOTY last year, on Sky doesn't make the Top 10. I agree wholeheartedly about Allis though.

Last edited:
After watching some of the BBC highlights, the difference between the commentary on Sky is night and day.

They are so much more knowledgeable about the players, their mentality on each hole, shots they are taking on, the best way to play the hole, the greens, bunkers, etc. Just about everything really.

I don't mind Alliss too much but he does drivel on sometimes and sounds like a doddering old fool. Brown is just tepid really, not much insight. Wayne Grady is alright.

Also on Sky you get fantastic analysis from the studio from people like Faldo, Monty, McGinley and Harmon. Plus the Sky Zone out on the driving range, with tips and analysis on certain players from Butch Harmon and his son who both coach or have coached at the highest level.

It's brilliant coverage and certainly worth a Sky Sports sub IMO.

Nobody has disputed the coverage. It's precisely what TT has said. The R&A and ECB are fucking their sports for short term gain. Kids won't play and courses and clubs will fold because of it making the sports marginalized in a day and age where the sports have to compete with everything including Pokemon Go and the governing bodies are looking after the minority. Bunch of fucking arseholes.

I don't get this kids won't play stuff. Are you telling me that just because the Open isn't on BBC then kids won't play golf anymore? I get that a few won't be able to watch it but i think you are over estimating the affect it's going to have.

Golf is in decline, in terms of mass participation, across Europe. Limiting access to the events that will inspire people to get out to play is only going to speed that decline. It's already time-consuming and expensive (perhaps not relative to the time you play but it's still often a fair whack) so I can well see why kids will play football and Pokemon games.

We listened to the final few holes on 5Live in the car and that was fantastic. The whole whispery tension of it works really well. Really need to bin off Inverdale though.

I don't get this kids won't play stuff. Are you telling me that just because the Open isn't on BBC then kids won't play golf anymore? I get that a few won't be able to watch it but i think you are over estimating the affect it's going to have.

Here's some links for you Slink to back up TT, SLA and myself.

http://www.sportinglife.com/golf/ne...en-championship-in-a-five-year-deal-from-2017
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36711451
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...rs-turn-their-backs-on-the-sport-9687900.html
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...le/137993/TP_Sportparticipationreport__1_.pdf

The last link, which is a government study:
Live sport coverage on TV and Sport when growing up, have the expected signs and are statistically significant at conventional levels. Watching live coverage of sport on television has a positive effect and the marginal impact is an increase in the probability of participation by 9.7% for participation in general and 3.6% for participation of moderate intensity. As to be expected, those who participated in sport when growing up have a greater probability of continuing their participation into adulthood, 16.6% for overall sports participation.

I was 8 in 81, the same age as my son is now. At that age I would have recognised, Botham, Boycott, Gower and Willis. He wouldn't recognise any of the current team although he would know names. If you don't see them play you don't want to be them or emulate them. He plays Kwik Cricket at our local club, which he really enjoys, but that's because I took him down there not because he asked. He doesn't pretend to be anyone when he plays and none of his mates play down the park like we did.

I agree with TT, Johnny & SLA. Sadly the current state of affairs also re-enforces the perspective of some clubs that they are an elite. I actually prefer playing municipals, owing to the snooty behaviour some clubs convey when you go to them.

Back