• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Advice Thread

How long do tyres last? Had 2 fitted to the front of my car 11 months ago.
I do approx 3500 miles per year.
They're virtually unworn, but both sides of the tyres are splitting. Definitely need replacing.
The splits are right towards the edge, so the tracking is all ok.
Have I just got unlucky? Seems odd they're both going.
If the tracking is out, both tyres will suffer.

Bad tracking shouldn't cause splits surely?
Sounds more like a manufacturing problem. I'd be taking them back where I bought them.

Bad tracking shouldn't cause splits surely?
Sounds more like a manufacturing problem. I'd be taking them back where I bought them.
The friction applied to the tyres through bad tracking can cause splitting?

The friction applied to the tyres through bad tracking can cause splitting?
Didn't know that, all the issues I've seen with poor tracking/wheel alignment have just been excessive wear mainly on the inside of tyres.

If its causing repetitive twisting on parts of the rubber then it can absolutely split the sidewalls near the top.

Here in Ireland, if your tyres are older than 6yrs they get flagged when you do your NCT (MOT in the UK)

So to answer your question LJ it seems they should last a minimum of 6yrs

A question for those on here with an EV, does the extra weight of the car cause tyres to degrade faster than normal?

Nah, still plenty of tread left on my ipace when I changed them at 4 years / 45k miles. Only changed them as I wanted all season and it was a good excuse.

A question for those on here with an EV, does the extra weight of the car cause tyres to degrade faster than normal?
Was the case in early models. Think around 20% quicker than tyres on ICE vehicles.
As with everything though, manufacturers had a problem and worked on it. Should see the same as an ICE now unless you drive like LJ...

Tip though, some garages/tyre fitters dont hold a lot of EV tyres in stock, so if you are going in for a routine change find out before hand so they can order them in.

Came across this on my news feed earlier, and if they degrade to that extent I wouldn't have bothered. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/c...-car-heavy-had-change-tyres-after-7500-miles/
I work with people who have EV's and travel 20k+ and have no issues.

A few customers who have reported issues but it's a tiny amount and no different to other cars.
As with the majority of main media outlets they will jump on anything negative on an EV and make it out to be a lot worse than it is.
See any stories on BEV's that set on fire versus ICE ones that do.

Imagine there are some who churn through tyres with EVs because they never get over the novelty of the instant acceleration so just keep flooring it and chewing them up.

Imagine there are some who churn through tyres with EVs because they never get over the novelty of the instant acceleration so just keep flooring it and chewing them up.
Very much so.

Same people will moan about how their range is shit.

Back