• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Advice Thread

Anyone on here know much about Blockchain technology? How it works and the actual work involved?

I'm hearing a lot of talk about it at the moment, it seems like it's the next really big thing. It removes 3rd party controls like banks from Supply Chains.

I've been looking into Ethereum and Cryptocurrency and theres a few start-ups who are offering Initial Coin Offerings to buy into the business early. It could literally be like buying into Facebook or Apple back when they were just getting started.......

Anyone on here know much about Blockchain technology? How it works and the actual work involved?

I'm hearing a lot of talk about it at the moment, it seems like it's the next really big thing. It removes 3rd party controls like banks from Supply Chains.

I've been looking into Ethereum and Cryptocurrency and theres a few start-ups who are offering Initial Coin Offerings to buy into the business early. It could literally be like buying into Facebook or Apple back when they were just getting started.......

I've looked at this and it might be the right time to buy as the Chinese government are deciding whether to accept crypto-currencies or not. A lot depends on Trump oddly enough. If he continues to act the cock then the petro-dollar will fall and the crypto-currencies strengthen with China, Russia, Iran and others getting into them.

I think you've got to be a damn good programmer to exploit the blocchain stuff but as you say it will eliminate banks, insurance companies and estate agents at some point. Fascinating stuff.

I did see one guy put his house up for sale in both bitcoins and pounds.

Blockchain is essentially a distributed ledger. It allows participants in a business process to converge on a single unified view of the world, free from interference or manipulation.

The downside is that, in financial terms the big companies have already started to converging around unified standards - its hard to see how any upstart company could be disruptive.

So you might make money, but probably wont.

So, after about 15 years of smoking I've come to the realisation that it's quite probably bad for my health.

After picking my boy up from school today we were having a kickaround on the pitch next to his school (we have 20 minutes to kill before we have to pick up my daughter) and after about 5 minutes of running around after his stray passes (he really needs to work on his technique) I was blowing quite a bit.

I've met up with a couple of people on here and I'm sure they will agree I'm not in prime athletic shape shall we say, but even so thought it was ridiculous to be blowing after 5 minutes of running (jogging) with a 4 year old.

So I guess the advice I'm after is any hints/tips from ex-smokers on the best way to give up, and stay given up.

Right Trips, go to your doctors and ask them to prescribe Champix for you, they are a two tablet a day regime that you use for twelve weeks and they are wonderful.

I've been given up for four months and at no time have I considered having one, and that's from someone who smoked for over 35 years and the weakest willpower of any human being ! The only downside is that I have put on about half a stone, but I am in a position now where i can do something about my diet as I consider myself over tobacco :)

Right Trips, go to your doctors and ask them to prescribe Champix for you, they are a two tablet a day regime that you use for twelve weeks and they are wonderful.

I've been given up for four months and at no time have I considered having one, and that's from someone who smoked for over 35 years and the weakest willpower of any human being ! The only downside is that I have put on about half a stone, but I am in a position now where i can do something about my diet as I consider myself over tobacco :)

Will get down the docs tomorrow

So, after about 15 years of smoking I've come to the realisation that it's quite probably bad for my health.

After picking my boy up from school today we were having a kickaround on the pitch next to his school (we have 20 minutes to kill before we have to pick up my daughter) and after about 5 minutes of running around after his stray passes (he really needs to work on his technique) I was blowing quite a bit.

I've met up with a couple of people on here and I'm sure they will agree I'm not in prime athletic shape shall we say, but even so thought it was ridiculous to be blowing after 5 minutes of running (jogging) with a 4 year old.

So I guess the advice I'm after is any hints/tips from ex-smokers on the best way to give up, and stay given up.

Don't tell anyone you are giving up. Seriously.

Tell another smoker (especially a friend) you;re trying to quit, & they'll nag/encourage you to have one with them. Instead, tell them you're trying to cut down. Every smoker I know sympathises with this, and usually is supportive. It takes the pressure off.

Explore what you will do at those moments you have the habit/routine ones (eg after eating, waiting at the bus stop etc). You need to be distracted at times like these.

Engage in something that will aid your physical health. When I 1st started cycling, I was blowing after 100 yards, and my legs were burning. I'm not in woeful shape, but some form of physical exercise/conditioning is needed, as we spend far too much of our time sedentary!

Read "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allan Carr with an open mind. I had the book lying around the house for years before deciding to read it on a whim. Quit instantly with zero effort. I was smoking 15-20 a day plus for 18 years when I did so.

Regarding distractions for those times when you used to smoke - didn't need them, didn't think of them. For a while I still went on fag breaks with the other smokers but that also didn't tempt me to try one again. Weird how damned easy it was

I'm a big flag carrier for vaping, it's worked wonders for me, for about two years. It's a genuinely enjoyable experience, and the medical world seems more than happy with it as a cessation tool

I read that book years ago and it really pissed me off tbh, I just found it so obvious in the mind game/manipulation attempts that I wanted to fuck him up with a sleeve of marly reds

Paul aren't you dry for several years too? Hardly low willpower mate...

Anyway Trips, buy a vape, become a vapist. Maybe grow a beard to go with it.

I'm a big flag carrier for vaping, it's worked wonders for me, for about two years. It's a genuinely enjoyable experience, and the medical world seems more than happy with it as a cessation tool

Yeah, my girlfriend is on the e-cig, and shes been off the fags now for about a month. Once you get a good liquid you like, it's actually quite easy to quit, as you're still getting your nicotine hit, and you still have the hand to mouth action. She's had quite an easy time quitting, no major withdrawals and when she does, she uses the e-cig.

I make my own juice now, nicotine free. Currently tonking away on a cola cubes flavour, and I probably spend about £70 a year

Only problem I can see with vaping is that it doesn't kill your addiction t nictotine. Probably makes it worse, if anything what with all the cool new flavours to try etc. Also, it's not exactly a money saver either. But from a health perspective, or a simple "vape vs smoking" then it's hard to argue with vaping as a sound option.

Ultimately, it depends on your will power and stubborness. I quit in 2007 without any aids or supplements and have managed to keep off them ever since. To the point where the thought of it makes me physically sick. The first few months are beyond difficult; every thought turns to fags, you dream of them, you imagine doing everything with a cigarette in your mouth. Get through that and you won't wany to have to go through it again.

LJ is right about habits, too. Keep your hands busy, expect to put on weight (as eating is a great substitute for smoking), take up a new hobby, learn an instrument, start exercising more etc.

Best of luck!

I make my own juice now, nicotine free. Currently tonking away on a cola cubes flavour, and I probably spend about £70 a year

That's pretty cool.

Cheers for all the tips guys, haven't had one since yesterday lunch time. Getting up this morning was the worst as my normal routine was to get up and have a fag. Wandered into the kitchen as normal before I realised not to have one.

Will definitely be taking up some exercise whilst trying to quit, one to focus on something and two because I know I'll be eating like a king for a few weeks

Back