• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Advice Thread

Yes, but you pay the lower rate no matter what. Tax is banded so you only pay the higher rate on the amount above the banding not the whole amount.

Sweet.

Though with a little extra thought I'd need to contribute enough into the pension so that remaining salary + BiK value of the car is under the threshold to make it happen I think?

Always confused me a bit when you sit right on a threshold when exactly does the higher level kick in, do you start the financial year on 20% and then just pay 40% late on in the year when your earnings to date have broke the threshold?
Tax is banded, you pay for the month is calculated for a year. So for if for instance you were to get a big bonus one month you may end up paying a disproportionate amount of tax that month as the taxman thinks you're suddenly on a bigger salary.

So presumably salary is always viewed as being the 'first' part of your pay and any benefits come after?

Thus if you received just under the threshold all your 'cash' income would be taxed at 20% but then if say the value of a car bridged the threshold you'd effectively be taxed somewhere between 20-40% on the car dependent on what proportion fell either side of the threshold?

Doesn’t matter - it’s all cash to the tax man. They just add up salary (per month) and BiK and tax you on it as if that’s how much your gross salary is

Good to know, I always thought BiK like a car got treated as a sort of lump sum taxed entirely at whatever rate you reached.

Anyone got any experience of claiming for a lost item when purchased on a card?

I bought something quite recently, lost it and I thought it would be covered as I paid for it on a card but they have refused the claim.

Depends who is at fault.
Were you given a tracking number and it was lost by a courier?

My wife recently ordered some hair care products and two of the items were missing. She filled out the forms they provided and waited weeks for a refund. She heard nothing from them so started tweeting them about it and a week later, they refunded the full order, not just the missing items.

If your bank arent playing ball, tweeting the merchant can often get a result.

DFDE7F2E-D3AC-425B-99BC-B9A53CBE7994.jpg

Not sure if this should go in the cycling thread but thought I’d throw in here and see what happens.

So Sunday morning had a minor collision with a cyclist in my van. Could‘ve been much worse, but after some strong words at the beginning, we eventually ended up shaking hands, wishing each merry Christmas and going on our way with behaviours to reflect on.

I suspect from a legal standpoint I was at fault, but was curious at to the thoughts of others and clarification on any legal aspect?

So, Sunday morning, no traffic at all. As far as I’m aware, there are no cars, bicycles, anything, anywhere. I’ve approached the junction you can see in the image, indicated left, turned left, and immediately indicated left again and turned first left again into the car park behind the first building you can see.

As I’ve turned sharp left into the car park - bang! - contact with a guy on a bike with the rear quarter of my van. Luckily he manages to stay on the bike and there’s a minor scratch on the van so we both got away very lightly. At this point I’ll say he was quite a young guy, full Lycra, helmet, expensive bike. And airpods in the ears.

He‘s angry. I’m in shock. I apologise, ask him if he’s ok etc. I honestly had no idea where he could’ve come from as I had a good look to my right at the junction and there was nothing there.

He says he’d been behind me, on the same road, and turned left at the junction same as me. As I indicated again and turned left into the car park he was overtaking me on the inside and the collision occurred.

As I understand it, I’ve turned left across a cycle lane and hadn’t seen the guy so I suspect that puts me 100% at fault, everything else is an irrelevance?

But, the guy is evidently flying on his bike, he‘s got his headphones in, he’s admitted he saw the indicator but thought that was from the left turn at the junction and it never occurred to him I was immediately turning left again, he’s gone for the overtake (undertake) on the near side of a van that is clearly indicating left.

So we chatted and I acknowledged I should’ve checked nearside mirror before turning, and he’s acknowledged he put himself in a foolishly dangerous situation.

Cyclists get wiped out all the time overtaking/undertaking on the nearside by vehicles turning left. I’m not trying to shift blame or score points and as I said to the guy I’m a regular cyclist myself, but would that situation always be the fault of the driver - and - does the fact it was a cycle lane make a difference? - is there even such a thing as an ‘undertake’ on a bicycle? I think if I’d been knocked off my bike whizzing up the inside of a vehicle indicating left I’d feel some sense of responsibility which to be fair the guy did, but it all comes down to the law in the end. Just thank God it wasn’t worse.

Any thoughts guys?

You both learned from the incident and came to an amicable resolution.

Move on with your life.

He shouldn't be overtaking you, whether on the inside or outside approaching a junction imv. He's at most fault imo, although if it went any further, I'd expect you'd be held partly at fault for not being 'aware' of him.
Either way, it's good that no-one was seriously hurt.

So he's following behind you, you've indicated left and he's decided to undertake you, his fault, if you'd have overtaken him, then turned left, your fault. He has autonomy in his cycle lane but he still needs to exercise due care and attention, which he obviously wasn't.

Sounds like the cyclists hasn't seen you indicate for the car park or maybe just thought your indicator hadn't self cancelled after making the turn at the junction just before it.

But this kind of incident goes to highlight just how inadequate most cycling infrastructure is. I'm guessing by cycle lane, it was a bit of painted road. If it was properly segregated infrastructure then there would be measures that would prevent cars/vans etc pulling across it without being extra vigilant.

Reactions: jlo
It also further sways me from rarely undertaking and not using cycle lanes unless I feel they are safer than adopting primary position on the adjoining road.

Why on earth would anyone as fragile as a cyclist consider undertaking, it's fraught with danger unless the person your passing is turning right, if you do it in your car you can be considered to be driving without due care and attention (or in extreme cases, dangerous driving , resulting in a ban) and thats safely cocooned in a metal box.

It’s legal for a motor bike, I’d imagine it’s much the same for a push bike. I’ll always undertake, if possible, when the cars are stuck in a jam. In this case looks a bit of a stupid action, but doesn’t mean the cyclist is legally at fault.

Why on earth would anyone as fragile as a cyclist consider undertaking, it's fraught with danger unless the person your passing is turning right, if you do it in your car you can be considered to be driving without due care and attention (or in extreme cases, dangerous driving , resulting in a ban) and thats safely cocooned in a metal box.
I guess the argument is that it is a cycle lane, which motorists should pay attention to when crossing. very difficult when in a van to clearly see all angles and like most things attention is rarely 100% on the road and immediate surroundings.

I'm an occasional cyclist but i always try to give them respect on the road, same as horses etc. I've driven vans around cambridge and London and the cyclists there are a little more bold in their approach, which always made me ultra careful, especially at junctions where they will approach on both sides. Theres alot of collisions from Construction plant turning in the capital from having poor visibility of the nearside.

It’s legal for a motor bike, I’d imagine it’s much the same for a push bike. I’ll always undertake, if possible, when the cars are stuck in a jam. In this case looks a bit of a stupid action, but doesn’t mean the cyclist is legally at fault.
Yep it's legal to 'filter' on a cycle or motorbike but people should still be aware of junctions and sideroads, overtaking (and undertaking) is potentially dangerous if approaching any junction, or indeed a driveway.

Back