• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Championship 2015- teams who did well and those who bombed

D

Deleted Cyber

Right guys. Wanted to have a think about the teams who have really surprised me and those who have underperformed in our league. We have just about exceeded or met our pre season expectations. Afobe has been immense and made all the difference. Long may that continue. However my team of the year for this league goes to Brentford with Bournemouth a close second. Given all the hassle with Warburton they have done brilliantly to finsish in the top eight. I know Bournemouth will finish higher but Brentford have excelled. Ipswich are the third team who I feel have over performed this year given their players d their budget another MM team building special. I knew he would be close so its not a surprise to me.

1. Brentford
2. Bournemouth
3 Ipswich

Under performing teams well there are a few. Norwich looked awful until they changed the manager, Cardiff have been average and Fulham pretty much sucked. Reading should have done better as should Forest. But the winner is Wigan. Close last year and awful this year and a disgrace of a pitch to boot. Derby may make the play offs but with their squad should have been top two and have fallen away badly since the start of 2015. Fulham spent mega bucks and have been bottom five or 6 pretty much all year which is not good enough so my underperforming three are

1 Wigan
2 Fulham
3 Derby

What do you thionk? Agree? disagree.... discuss

I don't think you can make a call on either Ipswich or Derby yet.

Bombed for me is Wigan, Fulham and Cardiff.

Win is Brentford, Bournemouth, and Watford

Wigan surprised me the most I thought they would challenge for promotion, and thought last pre season they bought very well.
Charlton I thought would struggle and would most likely be relegated alongside Blues and Blackpool. Gary Rowett showed what can be done when you add some tactical nous and a little discipline at Blues who looked fodder under Lee Clark.

This is the prediction I made on the first day of the season over on FF.

1. Norwich
2. Derby
3. Wigan
4. Boro
5. Watford
6. Cardiff
7. Forest
8. Fulham
9. Ipswich
10. Wolves
11. Blackburn
12. Brentford
13. Brighton
14. Bolton
15. Bournemouth
16. Leeds
17. Reading
18. Huddersfield
19. Rotherham
20. Birmingham
21. Sheffield Wednesday
22. Charlton
23. Millwall
24. Blackpool

Wigan & Bournemouth the two obvious ones. Got 2 out of the bottom 3 correct and 4 of the top 6 (as it stands) so reasonably happy with that.

I do not think anyone expected Brentford or Wigan to be where they are. Brentford have done really well, and even if they do not make the play offs, they have had a great season. I expected Wigan to be there or thereabouts, and I am very surprised that they are in such dire straits.

Shit appointment followed by a shit appointment.

Sounds familiar....

I backed Wigan to win the league so they are the obvious under performers. Never worked out for Uwe despite making decent (on paper) signings in the Summer, Mackay had too much baggage at the time they appointed him and Whelan made the club a circus act with his homage to Love Thy Neighbour.

Norwich would have won the league if it weren't for appointing their vanity project as manager, I hope they win the play offs to get them out of the way.

Fulham spent their entire budget on a decent but not great Championship forward, started the season with a madman in charge and then gave the job to someone with no experience. They are supposedly splashing the cash in the Summer so could be a threat next year.

Derby's performance against us was the best I've seen in the Championship this year, but have been hammered by McClaren failing to have a low rent back up to Martin when he is so pivotal to the way they play and the fact it's an open secret here that he's going to Newcastle in the Summer - Dyche to them if Burnley go down is the rumour, if they get that then I think they've got the better of the deal personally.

Obvious over performers are Bournemouth and Brentford, but Watford have done very well to go up given their manager situation pre Xmas.

I had Wigan down to win the league, I still think Rösler is a good manager. Mackay was a terrible appointment on every level.

Fulham's struggles didn't surprise me, I was saying long ago what a lunatic Magath is and their overriding transfer policy of buying in random foreign players who knew nothing about the division to go along with the hasbeens they couldn't get rid of was always doomed to failure.

I had Blues to go down which they would have done if they weren't fortunate enough to get Rowett (no chance he would have gone there if he hadn't played for them and had a bond with the club). I don't think he'll be there for very much longer. If Jackett were to leave Wolves for whatever reason in the next six months - not that I want him to or think he will - then Rowett would be very close to the top of my list of replacements.

I would also (were I still a gambling man) expect QPR to pitch up in this division under the stewardship of Warburton next season.

I also had Wigan down for automatic promotion, along with Derby. Surprised in a way that Derby plummeted from the top spot, though can understand why it happened. Obviously even more surprised at Rosler disappearing and Wigan dropping to L1!

Back in August early September the media were predicting Stuart Pierce and Forest were gonna piss this League, although i can't stand Danny Mills he got it bang on when he referred to him as 'not a great coach, tactician or motivator' shortly before he was fucked off.

Anyone who had ever watched a Stuart Pearce team knew it wouldn't work out.

Forest fans thought they were up in September and that Mancienne was the best defender in the league. Morons.

Still it's a bit surprising just how far they've fallen since Assombalalala got hurt the first time.

I really thought Fulham would be strong. I thought they were like us in League One - with a good manager, and with a mix of highly promising youngsters, and the addition of proven goals from McCormack.

In the end, I absolutely bit Bet365s hand off when they were offering a cash out of £1-pound-something from my fiver outright bet after three games or so.

Gary Rowatt's done an annoyingly excellent job at Blues.

Right guys. Wanted to have a think about the teams who have really surprised me and those who have underperformed in our league. We have just about exceeded or met our pre season expectations. Afobe has been immense and made all the difference. Long may that continue. However my team of the year for this league goes to Brentford with Bournemouth a close second. Given all the hassle with Warburton they have done brilliantly to finsish in the top eight. I know Bournemouth will finish higher but Brentford have excelled. Ipswich are the third team who I feel have over performed this year given their players d their budget another MM team building special. I knew he would be close so its not a surprise to me.

1. Brentford
2. Bournemouth
3 Ipswich

Under performing teams well there are a few. Norwich looked awful until they changed the manager, Cardiff have been average and Fulham pretty much sucked. Reading should have done better as should Forest. But the winner is Wigan. Close last year and awful this year and a disgrace of a pitch to boot. Derby may make the play offs but with their squad should have been top two and have fallen away badly since the start of 2015. Fulham spent mega bucks and have been bottom five or 6 pretty much all year which is not good enough so my underperforming three are

1 Wigan
2 Fulham
3 Derby

What do you thionk? Agree? disagree.... discuss

All over and I stand by these six teams.

Did Well
1 Bournemouth - deserved to be champions and are deservedly the Champions.
2 Brentford - I had them down as a side that would be near the bottom of the table but under Warburton they have a chance of going up.
3 Watford - deserved promotion and after 4 managers in 4 weeks (or something like that) they've pushed on and won promotion

Did poor
1 Derby - they have one of the best teams but missed out on the play offs in the end
2 Wigan - Deserve to be in League one after all Dave Whelan did break his leg once against Wolves.
3 Fulham - been very very very poor and could be another mid table Championship team for years to come.

Unless Norwich go up in the playoffs, they're the biggest flop for me - that squad should have run away with this division. Brentford have really over achieved - but they have spent over £4.5m this season plus loans, with Pritchard bring outstanding, so it's probably not actually that much of an overachievement.

Back