• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Definitive TWF Wolves XI Thread (1970 - present)

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Following on from the successful World XI and UK/Ireland XI threads (we shall ignore the present day one which didn't work out, you can't win 'em all), we're moving on to the best that Wolves have had to offer.

The voting system is as follows; when we're picking for a position that only has one candidate (you only ever have one keeper, one right back etc), you get three picks to put in order - first choice gets three points, second choice two, third choice one. Once the voting for each position is done, I'll tot up all the points and the winner comes out in our own form of democracy. For centre halves, you get six picks as there'll be two of them. Same system, six points for pick one down to one point for pick six. Any newcomers, just have a look at the other threads if you're not sure. It's pretty self-explanatory. We normally do one vote a day.

We'll be going 4-4-2 on this one as that's what we've largely played during all the time that we've been watching Wolves, and I'm setting the threshold back to 1970 - because as undoubtedly brilliant as the Cullis teams were, there can't be more than about three people on here who can genuinely remember them playing. But this does give everyone a chance to pick players going back a long way. Personally I would say "vote for who you've seen" but that's just me, if you really do want to vote for someone from the 70s when you weren't even born, well it's up to you. I trust you have good reasons for doing so.

If we could avoid comedy answers please, because it isn't that hilarious to put Matt Doherty, Frank Nouble and Darren Ferguson down. It's the kind of material that Duncan Norvelle would reject.

The order will be GK, RB, LB, CH (x2), RM, LM, CM (x2), ST (x2), Manager. Make sure you pick players where they actually appeared for Wolves on a regular basis, so no cheating and chucking Robbie Keane on the wing or whatever.

Keepers up first then, three picks. Away you go.

The team:

------------------------Matt Murray---------------------

Kevin Foley----Dean Richards----Joleon Lescott------Andy Thompson

Helder Costa-----Alex Rae--------Colin Cameron-----Bakary Sako

-------------------Steve Bull---------Robbie Keane-------------------

Manager: Mick McCarthy

Last edited:
Matt Murray
Mike Stowell
Wayne Hennessey

Yeah, I know Hen is a snake. But I couldn't go with Big Marcus on the basis of half a good season and no-one else comes that close. Loved Kendall as a bloke, but he wasn't all that as a keeper.

Matt Murray
Micky Stowell
Mark Kendall (he wasn't that good but I just warmed to him)

Murray
Stowell
Kendall (simply because of his talks to the fans during a game. Making plans for the evening before stopping mid sentence to make a wonder save/flap at a cross then resume conversation like nothing had happened)

Matt Murray
Mike Stowell
Paul Bradshaw

tough decision between Bradshaw and Pierce

Murray
Stowell
Kendall (simply because of his talks to the fans during a game. Making plans for the evening before stopping mid sentence to make a wonder save/flap at a cross then resume conversation like nothing had happened)

I remember Steve Cherry doing the same thing when he was in goal for Notts County with the South Bank.

Hennessey
Murray
Kendall - a fantastic character who deserves to be on the list.

Murray
Stowell
Hennessey

Mickey Stowell was the keeper I saw the most, I reckon one of our most consistently good keepers over a prolonged period of time. Seemed like a decent chap too

Mickey Stowell was the keeper I saw the most, I reckon one of our most consistently good keepers over a prolonged period of time

Outstanding bit of business. The miracle really was that we had him on loan in 1988/89, couldn't keep him and yet he was still available from Everton when we went back in 1990 after SJH's takeover. Why no-one else nabbed him in that time I don't know.

Outstanding bit of business. The miracle really was that we had him on loan in 1988/89, couldn't keep him and yet he was still available from Everton when we went back in 1990 after SJH's takeover. Why no-one else nabbed him in that time I don't know.

Also the genius of being able to rhyme Stowell with goal

Murray
Stowell
Hennessey

Mickey Stowell was the keeper I saw the most, I reckon one of our most consistently good keepers over a prolonged period of time. Seemed like a decent chap too

I agree, all keepers make howlers during their careers, but don't remember Micky making very many at all.........maybe I should have put him first?????

I agree, all keepers make howlers during their careers, but don't remember Micky making very many at all.........maybe I should have put him first?????

Went through an Ikeme stage of getting beaten from range all the bloody time...

He got dropped by Taylor in 1994/95 for a good reason.

Went through an Ikeme stage of getting beaten from range all the bloody time...

He got dropped by Taylor in 1994/95 for a good reason.

Paul Jones was the reserve though, nowhere near as good or consistent as Stowelly

I would have had Phil Parkes in my top three, but he was too inconsistent. He could pull off a save that Gordon Banks should have been proud of, but his inability to command the penalty area cost us a good few goals.

Murray
Parkes
Stowell

Had to put Parkes in - over 300 appearances including our purple patch in the 70s

Paul Jones was the reserve though, nowhere near as good or consistent as Stowelly

Jones looked really good for a very short time, if you ignored his kicking (which was still not as bad as Lonergan's, somehow). But it didn't last long. Cost us a massive game against Middlesbrough at home.

Jones looked really good for a very short time, if you ignored his kicking (which was still not as bad as Lonergan's, somehow). But it didn't last long. Cost us a massive game against Middlesbrough at home.

I seem to recall flapping at a tame shot which looped over him.

Still, he was in goal for the Sheffield Wednesday penno shootout

Back