• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The English Football Set up.

should we not be looking at fast tracking former professionals so they can get their qualifications.

Really??

Isn't the problem that players are just handed their qualifications and fast tracked into maagement. For example, if Paul Ince hadn't been a fantastic footballer he would have got nowhere near management. Lazy, tactically awful, in it for himself not to develop players.

My friend was on the UEFA B course, with another coach I know. Neither passed, one aggrieved that he didn't one that expected it. What pissed them off was that Richard Rufus did a poor session himself but passed. John Terry was meant to be coming in for one of the days but didn't, and one coach found out that the instructor/tutor was making a presentation for him on how to pass the course. Yet they wouldn't be getting one for them?

There are a lot of good coaches out there but the route through to the top is blocked off because it's so elitist.

I'm definitely going to agree with you on this YW. There are far too many ex pros who are pretty much handed their qualifications because they have played professionally, just because they have done this it doesn't mean they know how to coach and have any tactical nous.

There does seem to be a belief that just because you have played at a certain level means you can coach at that level but it really isn't the case. The fact that good coaches are being failed while bad coaches are being passed because of their name is terrible for our game but it's always happened and probably always will.

I'm definitely going to agree with you on this YW. There are far too many ex pros who are pretty much handed their qualifications because they have played professionally, just because they have done this it doesn't mean they know how to coach and have any tactical nous.

There does seem to be a belief that just because you have played at a certain level means you can coach at that level but it really isn't the case. The fact that good coaches are being failed while bad coaches are being passed because of their name is terrible for our game but it's always happened and probably always will.

May I ask why the good coaches are being failed? And while good players may not make good coaches, they have an awful of experience and knowledge to pass on.

May I ask why the good coaches are being failed? And while good players may not make good coaches, they have an awful of experience and knowledge to pass on.

There are a few reasons why good coaches are failed and those have been backed up by people in the game. Firstly it can all depend on who the assessor is, it's well known that some favour ex pros massively and so therefore will not pass many who haven't played the game professionally. I don't know why they favour ex pros but it's holding us back as there are some excellent coaches who should be getting opportunities but aren't or aren't getting them as early as they should be.

They may have played the game but that isn't always beneficial, like YW mentioned Paul Ince and i think it's well known what many think of Dean Saunders, there is no way i would want them to pass anything on to anyone. I don't know them personally but i've listened to them enough to know they shouldn't be getting a chance to influence anyone when it comes to football yet both have been managers quite recently. There is no way either of them are good coaches yet somehow they have the qualifications to manage.

Didn't Irwin fail his first attempt at getting a coaching badge?

I did Level 1 and that was painfully easy. Never had the desire to go further though.

Everything is so complicated and expensive these days!

When we were young.......oh never mind :)

Just read that Germany have over 5000 3G pitches funded by local authorities for grassroots youth football while England has just 639.

Is it all about coaching, facilities and academies though why England are failing? I would imagine (and this maybe ignorant stereotyping) that the facilities/coaching in Colombia, Chile, Mexico and Costa Rica are light years behind what England have at the moment.

Its not just England with the exception of Germany/Holland/Spain the rest of the European countries have done very little over the last 3 out of 4 world cups (the exception being the one held in Europe), Italy/France/Russia etc haven't done a fat lot either. Not too mention the rest of the home nations & Ireland. Twenty-thirty years ago when it was harder to qualify for WC's Scotland and the two Irelands were qualifying for the finals and Wales were knocking on the door, now they are all shit.

Is it a co-incidence that Germany/Holland (and now Belgium) have good coaching structures and also had an influx of immigrants (ooer starting to sound a bit KTEC) from Eastern Europe/Africa/Turkey who themselves or their children have been involved with the national team. Maybe the indigenous population are not hungry enough in the numbers required to progress (too many stuck on their arses playing on the play station rather then going out kicking a ball about).

Just throwing it out there!

Just read that Germany have over 5000 3G pitches funded by local authorities for grassroots youth football while England has just 639.

5000? That's incredible!

I suppose I think it is because there are so few here in comparison

we do have good players at he top level, it's getting the kids coached that's an issue.
The best players hit the academies, they get good coaches, we need to change managers and coaches mentality and players somewhat, we also need to get more coaches at school and youth clubs level. At that level kids need to practise technique, First touches, passing and also movement.

My biggest bug bear is foreign imports to clubs, it's a disgrace we get sub standard players coming in.
Players like Suarez, etc are more than welcome but it's the number of second rate foreigners that come over here and take the place of English players, when the English players are just as good, it's just that the name Fredokovic, sounds better than Smith.

Any transfer not involving an ENGLISH player should be subject to a 30% levy, that must include total cost Agents etc. That 30% should then be used to fund coaches at local level, so every child between the age of 6 - 10 should receive at least 2 hours coaching a week from a qualified coach.

All English league clubs including Cardiff, and Swansea must be stopped from having none English players under the age of 21 unless they were schooled in England and available for England team selection, if they don't like it play in the Welsh League.

I don't buy the fact that it's so bad our top players are good, it's fine lines between failure and qualifying out that group.
Rooney Hits the bar, punts 2 wide, Sturridge missed a few chances, Suarez took his, Balotelli took his....

Look at Huiguin in the final, if Suarez had done that V England it's probable we would have qualified.

Look at our talent

Stone
Flannagan
Wilshire
Sturridge
Sterling
Ox
Barclay

all players that have bags of ability...
We need to produce more players with at least that ability .

So basically you are saying that the likes of Giggs and Bale wouldn't be allowed to play. Frankly, that is a nonsense.

So basically you are saying that the likes of Giggs and Bale wouldn't be allowed to play. Frankly, that is a nonsense.

I agree with this, allowance has to be made for the fact of the individual FA status of nations that by rights have players that would under other circumstances play for a single unified GB or GB & NI team.

There's always a load of navel gazing whenever England fail at a tournament but I'm not convinced that deep down that many people care about the state of the national team. Did it bother me that Wolves regularly fielded teams in the Premier League under Mick containing hardly any English players? Not in the slightest. Wolves are so much higher in my considerations than England.

I have never felt the same way about England since they appointed McClaren purely because of the colour of his passport and he proceeded to drop Beckham (still one of our best players, still playing regularly for Real Madrid) just to prove he was the daddy. Now obviously Wolves have made some pretty cretinous decisions since then but I can always forgive them (once they've fixed the mess, of course). All that with England happened eight years ago, I still haven't really written it off. I like to see England do well, I support them when they are playing but I wouldn't want my club in any way compromised for them.

My biggest bug bear is foreign imports to clubs, it's a disgrace we get sub standard players coming in.
Players like Suarez, etc are more than welcome but it's the number of second rate foreigners that come over here and take the place of English players, when the English players are just as good, it's just that the name Fredokovic, sounds better than Smith.

Basic supply and demand contributes to this. While we have a Sky funded Premier League, it is easier for PL clubs to look to a huge well of foreign players than develop a smaller pool of British players.

On the other hand............Is it possible that the world wide success of the premier league, above all the others, Spanish, Bundesliga, Serie A, etc means they have a chance to promote home grown players simply because the worlds best want the prem and it's big bucks.

Take Barca and Real out of La Liga and what's really left left? (ok except atletico this season, but where are all their best players now?)

Back