• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The English Football Set up.

This. Times a million. I spend more time asking the parents to stop coaching than I do watching the game sometimes!!

I do think something should be done about this. You do see players who look towards the touch line and look for their parents approval rather than get on with their game. If parents could be limited to just applause that would be great haha!

In Leicestershire, the situation with parents got so bad, that a couple of years ago the County FA instructed the Youth leagues to have segregation. One teams supporters one side, and the others on the other side. This came about after several incidents where parents had started brawling with each other. It is a sad state of affairs that it has come to this, but something had to be done because the so called grown ups were setting a bad example to the players

Seems as good a thread as any...

My lads team is after a sponsorship package - any chance you lovely people could get onto this - we have until 31.07.14 to get the most votes.... http://hi5us.co.uk/102

Seems as good a thread as any...

My lads team is after a sponsorship package - any chance you lovely people could get onto this - we have until 31.07.14 to get the most votes.... http://hi5us.co.uk/102

I have access to the four facebook accounts in the house so voted x4

Does he not know that Germany are considering binning off B teams?

What a facile point as well that 'many of the World Cup squads had played in B teams'. Yeah, just like every player who isn't a Shaw/Owen/Rooney who is a first team regular at 17, we just call it the reserves over here.

Does he not know that Germany are considering binning off B teams?

What a facile point as well that 'many of the World Cup squads had played in B teams'. Yeah, just like every player who isn't a Shaw/Owen/Rooney who is a first team regular at 17, we just call it the reserves over here.

Indeed, we always seem to play catch up with everybody else. This is what I was referring to in the other thread. We do not have credible or definable leaders for the FA. His comment on getting support from the Premier League for B teams is banal rubbish. The level these boys will be playing at will be between the conference or league 2, the only problem is he needs the permission of the Football league and conference who have told him, rightly so, to piss off and come back with a credible idea.

It just seems so lazy, we already have a loan system in place for players to go out and get experience which the top of the Premier League use extremely well. The most important phrase was 'the unwritten rule' that german clubs have and he blatantly doesn't have the bollocks to implement into the Premier League (and football league). Spain's B team experiment has failed miserably as the big teams just use them to drop the talent that will never make it.

For what it's worth I'd like to see:

A research plan over the next 6 months to find out the best way to get English players to the best of their ability in conjunction with clubs and associations at all levels. This includes the top level. The purpose of this is to devise a blueprint for development based on:

• Body type
  • Demographics
  • Attitude
  • Projected intelligence

The clubs will contribute to this from the youth clubs in the local areas who are seeing their participation numbers dwindle to the Premier League who can project how many (and roughly who) will make it into their first teams based on progression of their transfer targets and probably youth development. The data already exists so it is just a collective and analysis job.

It is easy to say the FA needs more funding but more than anything else it needs a plan and between the coaches association, players association and the over arcing FA there is little consistency or ability to lead.

The Premier League would need to be won over to the use of more English players and to say 'there are average foreign players clogging up the system' and then have no answer to it is pathetic. The important question is why? Why wont our players play for the same money as the foreign stars coming in? Is it an attitude, talent identification or development problem?

Are facilities that much of a problem and in comparison to the numbers of players developed abroad, in comparison, what facilities are needed. is it just a lowering of the rents, is it the communities responsibility between them to keep the club houses and pitches in good working order (as they do with cricket) in return for lower ground rents?

When we have the answers to where we want the national team to be in 5 years (any longer is to far) we can reassess and move forward from there as we will have a better starting point.

I think grass roots qualifications for all must be free, be that officiating or coaching. In there must be a moral and respect level of education that all parents of clubs must adhere to and sign. A parents charter if you wish. The Premier clubs have done this for at least 5 years with United having done it since 1998.

To go with this, scouts will look at the talent on the pitch. The FA in their idiocy have tried to standardize this. A ridiculous idea as each club is looking for something different from their players that will eventually fit their styles and each scout and subsequent coach has their own ideas which cannot be standardized, nor should it.

It is like trying to look for the same thing on every pitch which everybody else will be looking for which is pure folly as there will be 22 sets of different DNA on that pitch and so 22 different styles and attributes, it is the identification of a combination of talents that scouts pin their hopes on and subsequently academy coaches have to deal with.

This brings me to coaching, which is too regimented leaving little room to think or apply coaches thinking (which they are told they should let their players do?), the coach educators were poor and as I understand it very variable from county to county. This is not good, the educators should be best and better, not average depending on who you played for and if you have the same ideas. We are too conservative and lack innovation. Strangely enough converse with what we as a nation are very good it, innovation.

This isn't new and has been a problem for the FA going as far back as the 30's. The only way to change this is cut the head off the top. A new committee with a new chief exec and board, made up like a Japanese car manufacturer when the American told them that they were wrong, made up from people that are a complete cross section of grass roots upwards with seperate coaching, administrative and player functions that also have seperate steering groups. The administrative posts will then follow into regional offices and do away with the county FA's which are staid to say the least.

The only way to get better is from the ground up and the Premier League is the goal for all players to get to and if the players coming through are too good to ignore then the Premier League will have to play them.

Last year, 2014, all 20 of the Premier League clubs were in the Top 40 Richest Clubs list, because of TV money.

Shouldn't they be putting more into grass roots level?

One area of concern, and one that needs addressing is what happens to youngsters when they are eligible for open age football? Yes the very best are signed up by pyramid clubs, or even higher if they are that good, but there are far too many youngsters who drift out of the game once they reach 18 years of age. In the past there were plenty of open age teams for them to join, but that is not now the case. I can only speak for Leicestershire, but a few years back we had three open age junior leagues. Now is there two, and one of them has just one division. The Leicester and District League used to have five divisions, and was a good breeding ground for Senior league Clubs, but now there are only four divisions and the quality is nowhere near what it was.

So where do the youngsters go when they reach adulthood? Not many of them into football, and why not? Is it expense, or just that there are so many other things for them to do? A lot of time and money has been spent in Leicestershire on grassroots football, and in particular the under 13 players. To a degree this has been successful as it has meant the pre teen footballers do have the facilities to play on when they reach their teens. And there are plenty of teenage clubs in the county. But in my opinion, the time is long overdue when more was done to help young players make the transition from youth to open age football.

Back