• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The F1 Thread

All
So a few changes announced yesterday.
Won't be a situation like at Spa last year where they did 2 laps behind the safety and got 50% of the normal points.
From now on, that happens - no points. Has to be at least 2 laps without the safety car.

So it will go
2 Laps or less than 25% of the race done - Winner 6 points, down to 1 point for 5th place
25%-49% of the race - Winner 13pts, down to 1 point for 9th place
50-74% of the race - Winner 19pts down to 1 point for 10th
More than 75% - Usual points

Will be 3 Sprint races - Imola, Austria and Brazil
Points will now go down to 8th place. 8 for the winner.
The winner of the Sprint will still start in 1st place for the race but will not be classed as the Pole winner. That will be given to the quickest in the Friday qualifying
All sensible stuff tbh. I’d be interested to know what the repercussions are for fans who end up with 28% (for example) of a race but I guess I already know they won’t get a refund of some sort.

Sprint changes are fair but until there’s a way to “bullet proof” the risks (eg consequential damage to cars - eg time to repair, impact to budget caps and so forth) then it’s hard to see how it ever succeeds

It all seems way too complicated

Masi gone.

The Ferrari is outstanding - an absolute beauty.

The outer edge of the side pods look very vertical compared to everyone else so far, got a bit of an old school look about it in that respect.

Always think the Ferrari looks better with white wings though.

Ferrari appear to be on their own with the needle nose. Either they are onto something or they have missed a trick. Testing time will tell.

Another absolute beauty. Someone is going to release a pig - most likely Alpine given their sponsorship with BWT.

Very noticeable from all the launches that everyone is being very coy about the set up of the diffusers under the rear wing. The nearest we got was a shadowy glance of a Merc on a spinning podium but the lighting and dry ice was clearly designed to give away nothing. Everyone else hasn't even allowed the rear to be shot from behind.

I think they’re all trying to create “new” bargeboards which the new regulations aim to prevent.

2 reasons being (1) it is aerodynamically beneficial and well established basis, and (2) it causes dirty air behind so helps their drivers to defend positions. I’m not convinced the new designs will be of much help for the latter altogether but interesting to see how Newey at RB is leading them on (1) as I suspect that’ll set the tone for the most successful design / methodology

Well I hope (2) doesn't happen as it makes it all a bit pointless 😐

Reactions: jlo
I saw an interesting picture of the Williams running in the wet. Compared to last season the water jet is miles higher with the new aero. Suggests the crap air MIGHT be blown over the top of the close chasing car.

I saw an interesting picture of the Williams running in the wet. Compared to last season the water jet is miles higher with the new aero. Suggests the crap air MIGHT be blown over the top of the close chasing car.
That is exactly what they're going for.

In a total shock, the actual new Red Bull bears no resemblance to the car they launched whatsoever.

The main early signal for testing appears to be concerns over Alfa’s car. Only 4 laps completed so far with Haas on 13, the midfield on 20-35 and the leaders on 34-45.
Given Alfa are using Kubica today (their best driver for development feedback), I find the lack of laps mightily concerning for them

So everything bar the Alpha Tauri is low rake then. The longer nose on the Merc is intriguing.

Back