• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the correct words, just none of it's believable. Nice gilet though
You can believe he's sorry it all went tits up. It's telling that he speaks of 'your club' rather than 'our club'. Elementary Football Interviews 101 error there.

Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli to
@CorSport
: "The Super League simulates what young people do on digital platforms in competition with Call of Duty, FIFA or Fortnite."

tenor.gif

This whole "young people don't go to matches" narrative that is being put out there at the moment to justify making the top levels of the game a TV-only experience is pure gaslightling: clubs (in some countries, including here) are struggling to attract the next generation because they've already been priced out due to greed.

Last edited:
I mean there's a wee bit of truth to it; plenty of research to say that young people don't even have the patience to sit through Match of the Day properly, let alone full matches on TV. They just want to see the goals ASAP and that's it.

I say it's because young people are twats with the attention span of a gnat. I can say that now I'm 40.

In all seriousness, it is a problem. I look around the North Bank and either people have aged horribly or I'm still one of the youngest there.

As I said a couple of days ago, it's teenagers going with their mates that's lost. That's partly price and partly availability. When I was 15/16 I could go to 2 games a week on the bus, buy a programme and still have enough left over for a couple of bottles of Diamond White, all from my paper round money.

Dan is right about MOTD though, my son fast forwards the punditry and that's not his commentary on it's quality

Regarding MOTD, I think a lot of people regardless of age are put off by the balance between highlights of the games and the analysis. It seems to me watching it (which I do less frequently now than ever before) the balance is completely wrong, and you get at least as much talking as action. And frankly, the talking bit is usually boring and a load of bollocks.

I mean there's a wee bit of truth to it; plenty of research to say that young people don't even have the patience to sit through Match of the Day properly, let alone full matches on TV. They just want to see the goals ASAP and that's it.

I say it's because young people are twats with the attention span of a gnat. I can say that now I'm 40.

In all seriousness, it is a problem. I look around the North Bank and either people have aged horribly or I'm still one of the youngest there.
I think it's about creating a habit. It's not easy to create a habit of a day out at the football if you / your parents can't afford for you to go very often. When it becomes a once-every-now-and-then experience for a kid, it isn't going to be your number one interest - especially with the amount of immediate content that there is out there on digital platforms.

Pretty sure it was a quid for me to get in when I started in 1988. Definitely under a tenner for my Da.

We actually do ok with kids' prices but the step from there to adult in one fell swoop probably means we lose a load straight off the bat.

I pay it because I'm an idiot but I think our pricing is way too high as it stands, especially as we've now settled into just being a Premier League team, the novelty isn't there.

Other 14 PL clubs "divided" over sanctions for the 6

As I said a couple of days ago, it's teenagers going with their mates that's lost. That's partly price and partly availability. When I was 15/16 I could go to 2 games a week on the bus, buy a programme and still have enough left over for a couple of bottles of Diamond White, all from my paper round money.

Dan is right about MOTD though, my son fast forwards the punditry and that's not his commentary on it's quality
Yeah, you're right.

I said "dad's and lads" but it's the transition to teenagers going on their own that's lost.

I'd be really interested to see how the demographic of who goes to football matches has changed over the years.

Anecdotal of course (they could all sit miles away from me and/or not walk the same way to the ground as I do) but you don't see many people in their 20s or early 30s.

You'd have to ask them whether it's because they can't afford it or they can't be arsed.

Sadly a lot of the teens that go seem to be more interested in having a bit of aggro more than anything else. Despite them being about as threatening as a carrier bag. Alright lads, I get you watched The Football Factory once, settle down, eh.

Super League still not officially binned, so at the moment these are the teams taking part

AC Milan, Barcelona, Inter Milan & Real Madrid

Super League still not officially binned, so at the moment these are the teams taking part

AC Milan, Barcelona, Inter Milan & Real Madrid
As I post that, Inter officially withdraw.

The reality is that we need a bigger ground, even if it means that it is rare that we sell out.

I went with my dad and brother to begin with but when my dad was working permanently on Saturdays I had a period of not going (blessing in disguise as it was 1983-1986!). When I was old enough to go on my own with mates, it was cheap enough, I was obviously stood next to them and you could pay on the day.

Fast forward to now and tickets aren't impossible to get by any means (if you aren't a STH) but we often sell out, tickets are expensive and unless you want to brave the elements in the Graham Hughes then you aren't always going to be with your mates or in a stand of your choice. Add 5000 to the capacity and have a new rate of price for those who are currently missing and those in their teens and twenties can attend and be together. Whether they do or not will be the key to allowing the 100s of thousands on the STH waiting list to finally get their reward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back