• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amnesty International are proper kicking off, and with good cause. The Premier League fit and proper test has long been held as a joke, but it shouldn't be down to football authorities, surely if any British based interest is bought by a foreign entity there should be state mandates to ensure everything is above board? But clearly not, given the amount of dubiously owned property in London...

The government wanted this to go through as Boris likes being in bed with the Saudi despots. As soon as piracy was sorted then human rights and ordering the dismemberment of journalists sadly didn’t matter.

This is a sad day, not a moment for celebration.

The fact that Newcastle United matches will now be broadcast live in Saudi Arabia is another human rights atrocity inflicted on the populace. It'll be Robson fckin Green next.

We've got our club back is a strange thing to sing in this eventuality. I don't blame Newcastle fans for being happy, let's not pretend we'd be anything other than over the moon ourselves if we were in their position, but don't quite see how it being in the hands of a despotic state equates to them getting their club back.

I don't even understand the sports washing concept to be honest, Newcastle being successful won't change my perception of Saudi Arabia. I feel the same about Abu Dhabi as before they bought Man City, same with PSG for Qatar. Doesn't alter my perception of those countries one bit.

I didn't really know anything about Abu Dhabi or Qatar before, now I just know they must do bad things because they have to buy football teams to sports wash the bad things they do, and that's the only way my awareness of them has increased.

I know Saudi Arabia doesn't show the flintstones tv show, but Abu Dhabi do.

Thank you very much, I'm here all week...

On a more important matter, will this affect the availability of streams?

I don't even understand the sports washing concept to be honest, Newcastle being successful won't change my perception of Saudi Arabia. I feel the same about Abu Dhabi as before they bought Man City, same with PSG for Qatar. Doesn't alter my perception of those countries one bit.

I didn't really know anything about Abu Dhabi or Qatar before, now I just know they must do bad things because they have to buy football teams to sports wash the bad things they do, and that's the only way my awareness of them has increased.
It’s really simple. Look on social media and watch the whataboutery and mental gymnastics from Newcastle fans and among them a load of bots saying Saudis aren’t so bad and their human rights record is fine. This will amplify more and more, same as City fans defend their owners.

It’s really simple. Look on social media and watch the whataboutery and mental gymnastics from Newcastle fans and among them a load of bots saying Saudis aren’t so bad and their human rights record is fine. This will amplify more and more, same as City fans defend their owners.
For every one Newcastle displaying obvious bias I'd say there are 10 other people saying how terrible it is and how bad Saudi Arabia human rights record is.

Last edited:
To this day I'd say that's still the case with Man City. I don't really see any Man City fans saying what a great country Abu Dhabi to be honest.

I haven't spoken to any Toon fans yet, but have heard several people slamming the deal because of Human rights issues, then in the next breath stating concerns about whether they can still get a stream...

To this day I'd say that's still the case with Man City. I don't really see any Man City fans saying what a great country Abu Dhabi to be honest.
They literally have a thank you Sheikh Mansour banner in the ground

Millions of bots then augmented by a large fan base shouting that “this is fine” does have momentum.

The government wanted this to go through as Boris likes being in bed with the Saudi despots. As soon as piracy was sorted then human rights and ordering the dismemberment of journalists sadly didn’t matter.

This is a sad day, not a moment for celebration.
I can't imagine a Corbyn government allowing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back