• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2023/24

It's like PGMOL thinks we'll be keeping a tally of all the overturned calls and holding that against the refs, like we're so vindictive as to ignore the right call being made in the end.

Like, no, fuckos, we'd barely be thinking about that Onana bullshit right now if you assholes had just swallowed your pride and acted on what you saw with your blind fucking eyes.

It's like PGMOL thinks we'll be keeping a tally of all the overturned calls and holding that against the refs, like we're so vindictive as to ignore the right call being made in the end.
I don't even blame Taylor for getting it wrong in real time, one look, full speed, probably not a great view. You can easily see why you'd think Young played the ball. But one replay says he didn't.

Just the weird obsession PGMOL has with protecting referees and not wanting to "re-referee the game" or admit they got it wrong.

The fans don't give a shit about any of that, they just want the correct decision as often as possible. If the ref doubles down then fair enough, at least he's had the opportunity of a better look.

Edit - What Alan said basically.

I've got a lot of sympathy for the on-pitch refs, generally. I've always thought that just having the 3 (I guess 4, technically) was too few and the game is played at such a ridiculous pace that you're just never going to get away from a handful of honest mistakes. Just correct them when they happen!

Seems so simple to me, and yet...

EVERYONE makes mistakes, I've been doing what I do for fucking ages, do I think I'm pretty good at it, yes, do I have the experience and qualifications to say I'm decent, yes, do I get it right 100% of the time, absolutely not, do I need someone to tell me when I've missed something or got it wrong, completely, and we hopefully get to the right outcome in the end.

Without being arrogant at all I reckon if there were a Wolves quiz, 1994-present, and anyone in the world could enter, I'd win. But I still get stuff wrong or miss one out on one of my Sporcle quizzes, do I take offence when someone points that out, absolutely not. Even though I take pride in doing them.

It's so weird.

As Dan says it's just bizarre and wouldn't happen in other industries.

If I get a ticket to write a function that results in a value of `4`, and my function returns `5` instead, nobody is going to say "well, 5 is close, and we don't want to knock your confidence, so we'll just deploy that". Ain't ever gonna happen that way and it's beyond frustrating to see folks get a pass where we, in our jobs, never would.

Just the weird obsession PGMOL has with protecting referees and not wanting to "re-referee the game" or admit they got it wrong.

The fans don't give a shit about any of that, they just want the correct decision as often as possible. If the ref doubles down then fair enough, at least he's had the opportunity of a better look.

Edit - What Alan said basically.
And yet yesterday, the linesman didn't flag when he should have done, VAR "re refereed", gets the right decision, and the world loses its mind.

He’s obviously offside if that’s what the lines show.

Don’t get how you all concluded an inch offside was obvious from the first replay. That still shows it’s very tight (as was demonstrated). Fraction later and he’s comfortably on with him being stationary and the defender moving back

Don’t get how you all concluded an inch offside was obvious from the first replay. That still shows it’s very tight (as was demonstrated). Fraction later and he’s comfortably on with him being stationary and the defender moving back
He's not moving back. The defender ends up further forward towards goal than him as the video above shows. He hesitates for a second waiting for the pass, and the defender is getting back.

And yet yesterday, the linesman didn't flag when he should have done, VAR "re refereed", gets the right decision, and the world loses its mind.
Offsides are different as the linesman is told not to flag. So it has to be done through VAR.

It's the right decision based on a split second still frame. It doesn't take into account why the rule is there and the context of the passage of play with the defender being closer to goal by the time he receives the ball.

Margin of error pretty much removes all that argument about microscopic offsides and whether they're gaining an advantage or not.

Did you watch it live? For me it's more an argument against the lines than whether he was offside, he looked comfortably off. Both my son and I knew it being disallowed was inevitable

Did you watch it live? For me it's more an argument against the lines than whether he was offside, he looked comfortably off. Both my son and I knew it being disallowed was inevitable
No, but I’ve watched the highlights which would have been what was seen live?

It looks tight because it was tight. I don’t get how anyone can come to any other conclusion. Unless you are ignoring the defender in the middle of the pitch.

No, but I’ve watched the highlights which would have been what was seen live?

It looks tight because it was tight. I don’t get how anyone can come to any other conclusion. Unless you are ignoring the defender in the middle of the pitch.
Don't think anyone said it wasn't tight, just it looked off to the naked eye, personally I thought it looked off in real time. Anyway, it was offside and var backed that up, not sure why there's so much debate about it

Don't think anyone said it wasn't tight, just it looked off to the naked eye, personally I thought it looked off in real time. Anyway, it was offside and var backed that up, not sure why there's so much debate about it
Offside wasn't introduced to look at mm between players who are sometimes on different sides of the pitch.

Back