• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2023/24

This will be in conjunction with the spending : turnover ratios though won't it? Which will be 70% if you're in Europe and 85% if you're not. In fact UEFA have already got it as 80% for next season and 70% thereafter, so you have no real choice unless you want to get banned by them (and they will do it, they don't give a shit. Juve and Milan have both had bans recently)
OK - so the cap is almost irrelevant bar the big clubs being a little careful.

Unsure if anyone has already answered but why has villa voted against it?

Did they want something more or less meaningful to be introduced?

Presumably because they want to spend more. Their owners have already said they intend to stay in the top 4 and are prepared to spend what it takes

Interesting that we voted for it. I get that FFP/PSR has been a burden for us (not as much as the owners have made it out to be) but it pretty much kills any chance of a club hoping to compete at this level while running itself sustainably

I honestly don't think it matters. It's akin to me telling you not to spend £300 on beers at the Palace game in a couple of weeks or I'll get the Hogshead and the Western to ban you forever. I mean you could if you really wanted to but you won't anyway.

The reporting of this on the radio,TV and in the online papers is atrocious. BBC 5live reporting it as a possible cap on wages with the PFA being against. Some reporting it’s to replace PSR and clubs can spend 100s of millions. Others linking it to the 85%.

The binding vote won't even be until June, that's plenty of time for it to fall apart.

I honestly don't think it matters. It's akin to me telling you not to spend £300 on beers at the Palace game in a couple of weeks or I'll get the Hogshead and the Western to ban you forever. I mean you could if you really wanted to but you won't anyway.
I'd rack up £300 in no time at the Lychgate if the last time I was in there is anything to go by

More points to be deducted? They might get through to the end of the season but unless buyers can be found it is teetering on the brink.

That would be a straight 9 with no need to go to a hearing. Obviously they'd be better off never going into admin, but if they are going to they'd be better off doing it now and still staying up. They'd take their on field pain next season and go down, but would be on a stronger footing for the Championship than delaying it

Seems that 777 have now come up with the £15m (a week late). Clearly they're struggling to put it all together and there are so many red flags about them.

If the PL followed the EFL's lead then going into admin now or at any point before the final day of the season would mean a deduction for 2024/25 anyway. EFL brought that in after Bates put Leeds into admin* as soon as they were mathematically relegated from the Championship. They said no dice and they started L1 on minus points. Think the cut off point is mid/late March.

*Then bought the club back himself from people who were never verified to exist, not dodgy at all.

Bromley vs Solihull in the Conference play-off final...if Bromley win then they have to rip up their 4G pitch, losing them a huge income stream on non-matchdays, costing them money to lay a grass surface, they'd have to play their early League Two games all away from home...why do the EFL persist with this.

4G surfaces are not like the 1980s relics at QPR/Oldham/Preston/Luton, they should be allowed, at very least give a promoted club a 2-3 year grace period to sort it out, because it's even more of a folly if Bromley go straight back down then want to reverse it all again. They only average about 2,500 for home games and I doubt they'll get that much of a bump in League Two, they need the money that the all-weather surface earns them.

Bromley vs Solihull in the Conference play-off final...if Bromley win then they have to rip up their 4G pitch, losing them a huge income stream on non-matchdays, costing them money to lay a grass surface, they'd have to play their early League Two games all away from home...why do the EFL persist with this.

4G surfaces are not like the 1980s relics at QPR/Oldham/Preston/Luton, they should be allowed, at very least give a promoted club a 2-3 year grace period to sort it out, because it's even more of a folly if Bromley go straight back down then want to reverse it all again. They only average about 2,500 for home games and I doubt they'll get that much of a bump in League Two, they need the money that the all-weather surface earns them.
It's not just the football club, its also the community element, lots of grassroots teams will use them for training. Sutton had to tear there's up, 3 years later they've been relegated back to the conference

Ridiculous when you consider England have played an international on one in recent years.

I agree at the very least give them 2-3 seasons grace to sort it nevertheless I don’t see the major issue with the 4G pitch. If anything I reduced the headache of ongoing postponements in poor weather.

The project I'm involved in;
The project will cost approximately £10m and is being funded by a £1.175m grant from the Premier League, The FA and Government’s Football Foundation as well as a £150,000 grant from the Premier League Stadium Fund. Additional funding has come from private donations and The Football Association HQ Grant.

The development, which will include the new GFA Office, changing rooms, grass training pitch, a floodlit 3G pitch with covered seats, along with covered terracing behind each goal, will be open to all of the local football and wider island community from 2025.

Can think of Owen, Bojan, Shaqiri and Crouch?

Glen Johnson and Arnautovic maybe as think Owen was too early.

Back