• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Jack the Ripper Case - SOLVED (apparently)

I know the true culprit. Well, I don't. I also don't know the room. Pretty confident it was with the dagger rather than the lead piping though.

You were still at school at the time, and the evidence points to an adult.

Frank is 100% correct. Sugdens book is the best history of the case. The only downside is that it spoils you, as many others are nowhere near as good.

Stewart Evans has a couple of decent books - scotland yard investigates, & also letters from hell are good books.
One of the best I've read is the making of the myth, by John Bennett. Sadly you'll struggle to get it, as I heard that only 35 copies were ever sold (it was self published).
Paul Beggs "the facts" is also good, as is Begg & Bennett jack the ripper the complete history, and also Donald Rumbelows the complete jack the ripper.

Avoid anything by patricia cornwell!
If you want any more suggestions ppb, let me know!

Frank is 100% correct. Sugdens book is the best history of the case. The only downside is that it spoils you, as many others are nowhere near as good.

Stewart Evans has a couple of decent books - scotland yard investigates, & also letters from hell are good books.
One of the best I've read is the making of the myth, by John Bennett. Sadly you'll struggle to get it, as I heard that only 35 copies were ever sold (it was self published).
Paul Beggs "the facts" is also good, as is Begg & Bennett jack the ripper the complete history, and also Donald Rumbelows the complete jack the ripper.

If you want any more suggestions ppb, let me know!

As part of my one book a week challenge, this one is next on my list. I have already read the introduction, and already can't wait to get stuck into it. I may well be popping back on this thread for suggestions in the future Mr Jelly & Frankie :)

I would recommend The Complete History of Jack the Ripper by Philip Sugden. It gives a detailed account of not just the merders and the suspects, but also of life in the East End of London in Victorian times. There are many more, so you would be spoilt for choice.

Appreciate you recommending this book Frankie. Loving the way it is wrote with much detail . Halfway through.

Mr Edwards (of Barnet) is judging you right now and not in a good way......

Portrait of a Serial Killer is a decent read if you don't expect any answers from it, it's a decent passer of time. To be honest I've never picked up a Jack the Ripper book expecting to be enlightened, there will only ever be theories and conjecture on the subject as far as I can see. If the books are based on facts I'll enjoy it as long as it's well researched.

good lord. Its available everywhere quite freely.
Sugden passed away recently. I wonder if folks are bandwagon jumping?

On the "medical man" theory, that has grown with the myth of the toff in the top hat & gladstone bag. Such a description was never given by anyone who witnessed any of the victims shortly before a murder was committed. & only 1 examining doctor/coroner suspected the perpetrator had medical knowledge. All others pretty much disagreed.

I'd always put it down to Francis Tumblety being a suspect as he had some form of 'medical knowledge' and was reported to collect female organs (if memory serves me correctly, which it probably doesn't). Tumblety as a suspect would have probably had to have been ruled out due to his size as eye witness statements always place the Ripper at just over five feet whereas Tumblety stood at nearly six feet, a huge size in those days. His exploits in the States did throw more interest on him obviously but wasn't he wrongly linked with a couple of incidents? In all I think Tumblety is as likely a suspect as Michael Ostrog.

I like to think it was Frederik Baily Deeming - but that's only because he was my great uncle!!

I'd always put it down to Francis Tumblety being a suspect as he had some form of 'medical knowledge' and was reported to collect female organs (if memory serves me correctly, which it probably doesn't). Tumblety as a suspect would have probably had to have been ruled out due to his size as eye witness statements always place the Ripper at just over five feet whereas Tumblety stood at nearly six feet, a huge size in those days. His exploits in the States did throw more interest on him obviously but wasn't he wrongly linked with a couple of incidents? In all I think Tumblety is as likely a suspect as Michael Ostrog.

There were conflicting reports from eye witnesses about some-one who may have been the ripper, but just as likely may not have been. Any reliable witness would have been whoever was in the area when Elizabeth Stride was murdered. She was killed by one cut which severed an artery, and as no other mutilation took place, it is believed he left the scene because he was disturbed and moved on to kill and mutilate Catherine Eddowes. Interestingly witnesses who saw a man fleeing a yard off Berner Street described the man in many different ways. He was said to be fair skinned with long unkempt hair, dark skinned, possibly negro in appearance, being very smartly dressed, being shabbily dressed, and being between 5 feet two and 6 feet tall. That probably covered most of the men in the area.

You're not wrong at all. Tumblety was supposed to collect specimens, & also have a vicious hatred of women. There was also a tale of a dinner conversation where Tumblety got very angry about women in general. However all 3 tales were proven to have the same source, who was a drinker & known for telling very tall tales about people he'd never met. Tumblety wasn't at the dinner at all.

Ostrog was actually in jail during a couple of the whitechapel killings. So I'd agree Tumblety is as likely to be JtR as Ostrog!

As well as being over 6 feet tall, Tumblety wore very bright eye catching costumes, & had a huge dog he walked on a lead. Hardly inconspicuous!

There were conflicting reports from eye witnesses about some-one who may have been the ripper, but just as likely may not have been. Any reliable witness would have been whoever was in the area when Elizabeth Stride was murdered. She was killed by one cut which severed an artery, and as no other mutilation took place, it is believed he left the scene because he was disturbed and moved on to kill and mutilate Catherine Eddowes. Interestingly witnesses who saw a man fleeing a yard off Berner Street described the man in many different ways. He was said to be fair skinned with long unkempt hair, dark skinned, possibly negro in appearance, being very smartly dressed, being shabbily dressed, and being between 5 feet two and 6 feet tall. That probably covered most of the men in the area.

There's more than 1 witness sighting in the Berner Street aftermath. First you have Israel Schwarz, who saw Stride & someone in a confrontation, where she fell, kind of screamed (though apparently not in a manner that she was in grave danger). As he witnessed this, another man appeared on the other side of Schwarz (a look out?). One of them shouted "lipski", which was a name given to many jews, & Schwarz legged it. Schwarz gave 2 statements, 1 to the police, & 1 to the press. There are minor differences between the 2 statements.

Stride was seen by 2 blokes leaving a pub in the lead up to her body being found. She was behaving amorously(?) with some bloke. However within 10 mins or so she was seen in a heated debate with another male (quite possibly Michael Kidney, her partner who was allegedly violent who she had recently left) & told this person "not tonight. Maybe another night."

Another witness saw someone who looked quite different from both the above (different coats & hats) with a small parcel in his arm.

There was also a media report of a man cleaning a knife in the vicinity of Berner Street.

All the above within 30 mins of her murder. This doesn't even take into account the gross exaggerations made by Matthew Packer who claims to have sold grapes to stride.

You're not wrong at all. Tumblety was supposed to collect specimens, & also have a vicious hatred of women.

This is something I've always believed to have been fabricated (for want of a better word) to fit the bill and that it grew out of the fact that he was a homosexual.

Memo to myself: Never argue with LJ about Jack the Ripper. I bow to his superior knowledge on this subject.

But I still think Tumblety was the Ripper.

This is something I've always believed to have been fabricated (for want of a better word) to fit the bill and that it grew out of the fact that he was a homosexual.
All the "stories" I mentioned were fabricated about him.

Back