• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Jack the Ripper Case - SOLVED (apparently)

Very true. But this one could just be different. A lot of things make wonder about it. Why did Lechmere lie to the police, why did he give a false name, why did he follow Paul when Paul went to report the body that had been found? He knew the area very well, and the murders started once he moved back into the area. And his route to work took him very close to where four of the killings took place. Lechmere is most definitely a suspect, but so are many others. I found the programme very interesting, but it was not conclusive regarding the identity of the ripper.

In reality Frank you are never going to get a conclusive answer.

There's not going to be any DNA or incontrovertible confession so this thread could well be endless!

Watched the programme, & it offers some food for thought, but very little in the way of evidence. I'd be interested to read Christer Holmgrens research - he's not alone in the field having Lechmere/Cross as a prime suspect. Whilst the programme put forward a range of circumstantial evidence, aside from the Nichols murder, it just said Lechmere was in close proximity to the other murder sites. Well, that is true, but so were thousands of others. More compelling evidence is needed to link Lechmere to another victim or site to make him credible.

In addition, one big error is the programme suggested that Lechmere hid the wounds to Nichols. Actually, when they found the body, Lechmere & Paul agreed to pull her clothing down to protect her modesty, as they reported finding the body with the clothing pulled up.

That's the problem Frank, most theories put forward are very convincing and have plenty to make us think until the next one comes along!
This is the biggest problem in many ways. Over 150 suspects have been put forward, & personally I've repeatedly switched preference!
It is believed that a serial killer evolves with each killing, starting out a little timid and becoming more adept with each murder as he grows in confidence. If we apply this to the Ripper, he started out with Tabram and each murder was worse than the one before until he reached the height of his depravity with the total destruction of Mary Kelly's body in her house. I am also convinced that the stereotypical Ripper in frock coat and top hat is unrealistic and as this programme says, was far more likely to be an ordinary local guy who blended into the background
Especially agree with the boldened part. Indeed, one of my favourite Ripper books is The Making of the Myth by John Bennett. It outlines how the common perception(s) of the Ripper (top hat, gladstone bag, medical man, toff etc) have arisen through the development of the story over time.

She is not a canonical Ripper victim but considering the timing, location and nature of her killing, it is very tempting to assume that the same person was responsible for her murder as the other 5
Like many of the others, murdered on a weekend/bank holiday.
Prior to the letters, the murders were referred to as the Whitechapel Murders. Many associated with the case maintained that definition. Prior to tabram, Emma Smith (murdered in April 1888) was included, as were Alice McKenzie, Frances Coles, and 9much less likely to be part of the same series) Rose Mylett (the last 3 were murdered 1889-1891).
Personally I feel Tabram was part of the series. However, I harbour doubts whether Stride was.
In reality Frank you are never going to get a conclusive answer.

There's not going to be any DNA or incontrovertible confession so this thread could well be endless!
Indeed. In fact, there are whole forums (see jtrforums or casebook).

Thank you LJ. May I ask why you have doubts about Stride being a ripper victim? Is it not a possibility that the murderer was disturbed before he could mutilate her body?

It was a very interesting programme and offered interesting links between Lechmere and the killings but one major part not covered which normally is with most Ripper suspects was why did he stop? He wasn't interred in a prison/workhouse/lunatic asylum and he didn't die. In fact he lived until 1920, some 32 years after the killings. Why did he suddenly kill 5, possibly 6 women in 1888 yet none in the years before or the subsequent 32 years?

Interesting that he was a delivery driver though as Peter Sutcliffe almost a century later was a lorry driver!

Thank you LJ. May I ask why you have doubts about Stride being a ripper victim? Is it not a possibility that the murderer was disturbed before he could mutilate her body?
Stride is a difficult one. There were actually a fair number of sightings of her with different males in the run up to her murder. She was in a much more public place, & personally I feel the area may have been to risky for him.
Stride had also very recently left her partner, Michael kidney. He had a history of being violent towards her.
Whilst it is entirely plausible that Stride's killer was interrupted, and also that she was a ripper victim, one of the males she was seen with is similar to Kidney. There is also debate regarding the injury to Strides neck as not being caused by the same kind of knife used in the other murders. It's possible that Kidney went to fetch her back, she refused (Not tonight, maybe some other night... as a witness seeing Stride very shortly before she was killed heard her say to a male) & that row escalated.

I'm not sure either way on this. Both are plausible to me, and I switch between being 70/30 one way, then the other.
It was a very interesting programme and offered interesting links between Lechmere and the killings but one major part not covered which normally is with most Ripper suspects was why did he stop? He wasn't interred in a prison/workhouse/lunatic asylum and he didn't die. In fact he lived until 1920, some 32 years after the killings. Why did he suddenly kill 5, possibly 6 women in 1888 yet none in the years before or the subsequent 32 years?

Interesting that he was a delivery driver though as Peter Sutcliffe almost a century later was a lorry driver!
Excellent & extremely valid point. The programme started by making claims how we now know much more about serial killers. Well, one thing we now know, is that they don't really choose to stop. Something makes them stop. What stopped Lechmere?

Regarding Polly Nicholls murder, Lechmere was at the scene at the time of her death. He was seen by Paul standing over the body, so he was either the killer or he arrived there very soon after the deed was done. Lechmere was also a local man with extensive knowledge of the area. He also would not have been seen out of place walking the streets in the early hours, as he had to be at work for 4 o'clock, or somewhere around there. So I think he has to considered as a possible suspect, (along with about 90 other men.) But as Lupo and LJ mentioned, if he was the Ripper, why did he stop? Could one possibility be that the murder of Mary Jane Kelly was so horrific that the Ripper had some kind of breakdown, which led to the killings to stop? Apart death or incarceration, it is difficult to understand why the killings suddenly stopped. Unless the man responsible moved away from the area. Which brings me back to my preferred suspect.

Annie Chapman was likely killed after 4am, so unless Lechmere was able to sneak out of work, there is a mismatch there.

As I said, the programme did nothing other than link Lechmere to one of the victims & then say " he could've done the others". There's nothing really to link Lechmere to any of the other murders. & therefore if this programme is to be believed, then we have to give similar levels of suspicion to the finders of the other bodies.

PS if anyone with an overview of the case wants a book that could blow their mind a bit & give a very new slant on the case, I can highly recommend The Bank Holiday Murders by Tom Wescott. Some really good stuff in that book, & I am very keen to read the proper full length book he's been working on for a while.

Annie Chapman was likely killed after 4am, so unless Lechmere was able to sneak out of work, there is a mismatch there.

As I said, the programme did nothing other than link Lechmere to one of the victims & then say " he could've done the others". There's nothing really to link Lechmere to any of the other murders. & therefore if this programme is to be believed, then we have to give similar levels of suspicion to the finders of the other bodies.

It said on the TV programme that she was killed at 3.45, and didn't the police record the time of finding her body at before 4 o'clock?

That was Polly Nichols Frank. Chapman was the victim from Hanbury Street. She was found as daylight broke at approx 5.45am. There are sightings of Chapman that morning at 5.15 & 5.30.
The neighbour at 27 Hanbury Street went to his outhouse at 5.27am & heard a minor commotion & something falling against the fence. (Imagine if he'd peeped over the fence!)

That was Polly Nichols Frank. Chapman was the victim from Hanbury Street. She was found as daylight broke at approx 5.45am. There are sightings of Chapman that morning at 5.15 & 5.30.
The neighbour at 27 Hanbury Street went to his outhouse at 5.27am & heard a minor commotion & something falling against the fence. (Imagine if he'd peeped over the fence!)

Sorry LJ, I got my victims mixed up. Though regarding Polly Nicholls, there must be a strong possibility that Lechmere disturbed her killer, or was indeed her killer. In Chapmans case he may have been out on his round then, and could have been in the area when she was killed, though I admit that is probably not very realistic.

Sorry LJ, I got my victims mixed up. Though regarding Polly Nicholls, there must be a strong possibility that Lechmere disturbed her killer, or was indeed her killer. In Chapmans case he may have been out on his round then, and could have been in the area when she was killed, though I admit that is probably not very realistic.

What is obvious though is had this happened in modern times Lechmere would of been thoroughly investigated as would Paul but policing has come on a long way since 1888

Patricia Cornwell has a book to promote then. Sickert seems one of the more unlikely suspects for me.

In my opinion Sickert is an unlikely suspect. He did paintings that were indicative of the era and the East End at the time, but that is about as far as it goes. Unlike other possible Ripper's, there is nothing at all to suggest he was the murderer.

Cornwells book is due in April/May 2015. There are a couple of Ripper books due before then that'll be much more worthy/stimulating reads.

Tom Wescotts book is a fascinating suggestion of a new ish possible theory/view of events that is worthy of investigation, & has led to new research & finds regarding Pearly Poll (who has links to at least 2 Whitechapel victims) and a select few lodging house keepers. His Bank Holiday Murders book is a riveting read, & his eventual publication of his full book will be good no doubt.

I am intrigued about a character called Charles le Grande, but there isn't a proper full study published on him yet.

I recall Mrs Tisi mentioning Frank has a bookcase of WW1 books. Worryingly(?) I have a Jack the Ripper bookcase...

I am currently on the chapter about Joseph Barnett, a fish porter who lived with Mary Kelly (the final victim), it is the 2nd chapter in the book devoted to him. The first one discussed the fact that the lock on Mary Kelly's door was broken and she used to open it through a crack in the side window. When her body was found the front door was locked meaning the killer must have known about the way to enter/exit the house. Then again, assuming the killer went back to the house with Kelly, he would have seen how she opened the door

While I have never been a ripperologist, one thing that has baffled me is that given the nature of the murders, the person responsible must have been covered in blood. So they must have been extremely noticeable as they left the scenes, unless they had an accomplice who whisked them away.

Lots of occupations involved being "covered in blood", such as slaughtermen, sochets etc. were regularly walking around the east end in blood covered clothing in the 1880's. It was the norm. Plus, covering this with a cape, or similar gown would hide blood spatter.

However if you delve, you'll see there was little blood around the victims. Polly Nichol's wasn't known to have been mutilated until after the body was stripped at the mortuary.

Common consensus believes that the ripper stunned the victims (probably through a choke hold) & they were effectively dead prior to the "ripping". Being dead means no heartbeat, means no loads of blood gushing everywhere.

He could have learned this technique as a result of the Tabram murder. Speculation, obvs.

Back