• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Jack the Ripper Case - SOLVED (apparently)

Read through the first 100 pages or so of Philip Sugden's Complete History of Jack the Ripper and can't believe I never picked this up before. The detail is phenomonal and it does bring to light some very interesting and enlightening facts, a quality read for anyone who has the slightest interest in the case. It may take me a while to finish as my reading time is limited but I can't wait to get through the rest of it.

I also made a very bad judgement call last night when I dug out my copy of From Hell to watch again. I haven't watched it since it was released and I remember why now, it's fucking awful.

I have watched From Hell a couple of times but I have watched the Michael Caine/Lewis Collins version on numerous occasions since its release in 1988 and will watch many times more.

From the book I am reading at the moment, Mary Kelly's friend Joseph Burnett and William Bury of Stourbridge are very credible suspects. There is one bizarre chapter where an expert makes the case against Frederick Chillington (I think that's the name) then at the end admits he made it all up to show how easy it is to make a case for Ripper suspects!

Read through the first 100 pages or so of Philip Sugden's Complete History of Jack the Ripper and can't believe I never picked this up before. The detail is phenomonal and it does bring to light some very interesting and enlightening facts, a quality read for anyone who has the slightest interest in the case. It may take me a while to finish as my reading time is limited but I can't wait to get through the rest of it.

I also made a very bad judgement call last night when I dug out my copy of From Hell to watch again. I haven't watched it since it was released and I remember why now, it's fucking awful.
Sugden's book is the one all should aspire to imo. Essentially it is a historical treatment of the events. Far better than any suspect book. Sugden's, & 1 other book (which was self printed & there are hardly any of) are the 2 best ever books on the subject.

I have watched From Hell a couple of times but I have watched the Michael Caine/Lewis Collins version on numerous occasions since its release in 1988 and will watch many times more.

From the book I am reading at the moment, Mary Kelly's friend Joseph Burnett and William Bury of Stourbridge are very credible suspects. There is one bizarre chapter where an expert makes the case against Frederick Chillington (I think that's the name) then at the end admits he made it all up to show how easy it is to make a case for Ripper suspects!

That'll be Mei Trow, who created a suspect specifically for that book if I recall. He's also pointed the finger at Robert Mann, a mortuary assistant in 2 of the cases.
Bury is a very viable suspect imo. I strongly recommend Euan Macphersons book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Trial-Jack-Ripper-William/dp/1845960114

By the way, I picked up a copy of Russell Edwards book at the weekend, as it was in the works for £6.99.
Not that I think it is a likely solution, but to add to the growing library...:yikes:

Here's a review I posted of the book that caused the start of this thread that I have posted elsewhere:
I've just finished Russell Edwards book, Naming Jack the Ripper.

I purchased this on chance. I was aware of the impending release of it, & the associated discussion (which I tried to refrain from engaging in, to avoid colouring my own perceptions of the book). I didn't jump straight in to purchase it, as money is very tight atm, (hence a couple of other books haven't been ordered, principally Monty's, which I will buy as soon as £ becomes available). However, I saw it relatively cheap in The Works, so took the plunge.

I'm not a scientist at all, so it is very difficult for me to critique the scientific aspects of the research. The only comments I can really make here, are that I thought mitochondrial DNA was supposed to be a less reliable/specific form of DNA? Hence how can scientific surety be obtained from the shawl? The other query would be the shawl would have been handled by many people other than the author, Jari, Catherine Eddowes descendant and the others mentioned in the book. So this calls into query its definitiveness.

Onto the rest of the book, well the chapters surrounding the murders themselves were, imo too brief, and were a fairly standard re-telling of the murders, with vast areas of detail glossed over or omitted completely. A lot more should, imo have been included in these parts, at least highlighting Kosminski's location/proximity to the sites. Overall, these chapters just felt too brief.

I'm not sure whether it was just me being sceptical, but in trying to confirm the authenticity of the shawl, it felt like an attempt was started, and a case for further research made, but the author didn't really make an explicit case that the shawl was in Mitre Square 1888. Nor was there a credible explanation why the murderer would have taken it with him. It worked on a "Here's a possibility, lets research this further" point, but not in removing doubt. I was also confused by an assertion in the book regarding the significance of the shawl, the Michaelmas daisies, and this tying in with the murders being committed on days relating to Michaelmas. I can accept that as plausible, and again requiring further exploration, but the author fails to return to this point & doesn't make the link clear or explicit. Why were the dates important? This is apparently a big issue in proving the shawls provenance, but isn't explained.

On the rest of the book, well the feeling I came away with after finishing was that the most often read words were "I", "Me", "My" and so on. It was more a book about the author. I'm right, I know this, I'll be the first, no-one but me can see this.

I'm not saying that this is what the author intended to convey, clearly a lot has been investigated into this book. However it feels like a lot hasn't been included, and the book is more about the author, his life, and his beliefs than the matter at hand.Too much extraneous material on how texts made him feel, his time in churches, coffee shops or waiting for x, y or z really wasn't relevant, & to be honest,, I struggled with it. This was stuff I really didn't want to read about in the book, wasn't scientific, and basically wasn't relevant to why I was reading the book.

If the shawl is genuine, or there are reasonable grounds to suspect it could be, then a proper set of research should be done, and published without all the above extra guff that adds little to the validity of the claims made in the book. Indeed the repeated self/personal references ultimately resulted in affecting my perception of the harder facts in the book. A proper, more objective book, perhaps a little longer that takes out the equivalent of the 3 or 4 chapters worth of stuff about the author would be a much more valuable read, as well as more valuable contribution to research in the case.

In summary, on the whole it isn't as conclusive as it claims, much like many other "case closed" style books. It also offers no real arguments or points, aside from "I believe" and "here's a bit of science" to back up the point being made by the science. So the claims are made to stand too alone. Combined with too much about the writer, rather than the subject matter meant this wasn't an essential read that some had predicted it could be.

A new Ripper programme on 5 now for you Ripperologists

I'll stick it on 5 +1, only just got home from work.

It's actually an old (2010) programme from National Geographic, but it's been given a new name.
Marriott is a very self-conceited nut, and a plagiarist. I've been to see one of his talks.

Feigenbaum isn't (imo) that credible a suspect, but Marriott put him forward in his 1st ripper book. He's done another since on some secret police files others uncovered, but his attempts to get the files released has caused ructions and the authorities have now started refusing access to these files, which has probably set serious research back as a result. His new book is only available in kindle format, as no publisher would touch it fearing legal action.

I still find Mary Kelly's friend Joseph Barnett and our very own William Bury interesting suspects.

I am currently reading another Yorkshire Ripper book, it's strange to think that Peter Sutcliffe, an unassuming ordinary guy next door type was just like the mysterious Whitechapel killer

Watching it now. Not completely convinced about the presenter and his theories so far, but they are at least an interesting angle.

Similar MO could just as easily be a copycat as the real deal moving countries as far as I can see.

A load of circumstantial tripe IMO. No evidence he was in London & nothing to link him to the 1st murder in New York either. The woman he did murder wasn't a prostitute either which goes completely against the Ripper's MO.

Hmmm - so he picks a ship that connects London, Germany and New York, and decides that his suspect was on it. However, no crew manifests for the relevant period. So Feigenbaum's lawyers took the records??? Oh come on, please.

The bloke is a deluded nut.

In my opinion no new facts were presented that could make me think that Feigenbaum was the Ripper. I think 2 + 2 were added together, and made 5.

Is it worth a read?

I'm interested in "the secret police files" because of the subject, but the author puts me off. I haven't read it, but do intend to. However if anyone else published a book on the same subject I'd read that instead tbh. His other book isn't all that - very forgettable tbh.
Marriott comes across very badly in book form & also in person. He also has a track record of not acknowledging others research and presenting it as his own or not crediting sources.

It's the secret police files I'm interested in to be honest, having watched Marriott for the best part of fifty minutes last night I've no real yearning to subject myself to any more of his work. But if he's the only source of reading those files then it's a necessary evil. I've had a quick look on the iTunes (iBookStore or whatever it is) this morning but didn't come across anything by him.

Back