• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

THE MAGIC NUMBER THREAD

great results today IF we win tomorrow 14 clear and 20 games to go for automatic promotion. We can lose 4 games more than everyone else and still be promoted and in the next 8 matches Bristol have to play Derby and Cardiff.

Before we play the numbers have now changed to

Title: 51
Promotion: 49
Playoffs: 44
Safety: 26

And hopefully we can knock 3 points off each number tomorrow night.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/table

Looking at the table you can see form all over the place and as time goes on those towards the bottom of the league there form will improve.

Looking at that table, I wonder what the owners of Small Heath are thinking now after their ill-judged dismissal of Gary Rowett last season? At that point they were 7th in the table, 3pts off 3rd, I think. League 1 beckons ...

Looking at that table, I wonder what the owners of Small Heath are thinking now after their ill-judged dismissal of Gary Rowett last season? At that point they were 7th in the table, 3pts off 3rd, I think. League 1 beckons ...

Depends on what the reasons were for his dismissal, if he was flirting with other clubs then rather than sacking him, they should have offered him a new contract and given him the 10million or so that they gave 'Arry.

Instead they sacked him and appointed Zola. Lolz.

Before we play the numbers have now changed to

Title: 51
Promotion: 49
Playoffs: 44
Safety: 26

And hopefully we can knock 3 points off each number tomorrow night.

And we do

Title 48
Promotion 46
Playoffs 41
Safety 23

Arguably 3-4 games til birmingham cannot mathematically cach us. Cannot wait for that day! :)

isn't burnley's 93 the record for 2nd place?
it's starting to look a big ask for any team below us to get to that, never mind 2 of them
Derby would need (W/D/L) 12/8/0, 13/5/2, 14/2/4 or better
Cardiff & BC would need 13/7/0, 14/4/2, 15/1/4 or better
Villa would need 15/4/1, 16/1/3 or better

A slightly disappointing 0-0 but how does it change the magic number?

(I must stress that none of this takes into account teams playing each other - with nearly half a season to go, that isn't really relevant just now)

Title: Derby are on 52 points with 19 games to go. 52+57 is 109 points. Minus our total of 62 is 47 points for the title
Automatic: Cardiff are in third on 50 points. 45 points for automatic

Playoffs certainty: Leeds and Sheffield United are on 47 points - so 42 points for that guarantee

Safety: not that this matters at all, it is a thing to tick off just for shits and giggles. Burton have 24 points. Add on the 57 and that is 81. So 19 points from safety.

Yes. Basically two points off the title magic number before we even kick a ball.

Derby are on 53 points, 54 available = 107. Take off our 65 points and it is 42 for the title. 40 for promotion. 35 for guaranteed playoffs.

14 from safety for the first possible target I think.

Back