• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Mental Health thread

The main thing in these cases is to always document everything. With dates, so you have a nice trail and timeline to follow.

Companies absolutely must provide support and help where possible in any of these long term on/off sickness cases. As I know from personal experience.

Depends on length of time in employment and what impact it has on the company. For example, imagine the impact someone having 80 days a year off would have on a local shop with 2 employees.

Generally I don't employ idiots, but even us non-idiot-hirers have shelled out on courses for this sort of thing. It's important not to be a corporate twat, you see.

Depends on length of time in employment and what impact it has on the company. For example, imagine the impact someone having 80 days a year off would have on a local shop with 2 employees.

That doesn't mean you can act in that fashion, I'm afraid. If correctly documented, this would be an open and shut discrimination case.

The guy involved in this is a complete dinosaur and contemptible human being. Hopefully losing badly will bring him into this century.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Paddy - the two OH and WCA meetings were documented, and she's had sick notes she's provided but all the comments were face to face. She was left in tears on two occasions, the company have mental health first aiders one of whom saw her and got it out of her, she approached and challenged the DM on his language on OH's behalf but he made another comment last week.

Her best friend is HR manager for KP so she's getting alot of good advice and will be taking action.

The company have large offices in Derby, Taunton and Stockport and the wider group are a huge company. She's been there just shy of three years, I've no doubt they've had sensitivity training, especially when their training people to be MH first aiders.

Arrggghhh. Why am I so down depressed and downright fucking angry with myself tonight? Dear black dog. Just fuck off.

Very sad. Two things there:

a) The first part of that article is almost word for word the same as one I read about him in about 2003 in the same paper. Right down to the "I threw my furniture in the river, I did 10g of coke and two bottles of vodka a day" stuff. He obviously peddles the same story every time he's after a few bob.

b) Obviously he looks like shit and way older than 59 (even if you forget what a good looking man he was in the 90s). But meh, just some guy who's hit it a bit too hard for too long. But you hear him speak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rkxT2NGYgg

Skip to any random bit as it goes on for ages, but I hit on about 10 minutes when I first saw it. He's completely shot. A lot of it is booze, but it's what caused that. Wrong circles, people who would never tell him no. The 90s TV scene was full of liggers.

Sad to say but he is past help I'm afraid. Just kind of waiting to die.

i thought similar reading the comments he makes. all sorts of signals in there about the levels of anxiety he is trying to manage. really felt for him.

https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/2003/jul/06/features.magazine17

There's the old article.

There's a telling bit there:

Like many people who suffer mental health difficulties, he's just too clever by half. He can't bring himself to hand over his head to someone he thinks is stupider than himself, and, as 99 per cent of the population aren't as bright or as well-read as he is, he's got a problem. Even now, he refuses everyday, 'woolly', supportive therapy, preferring to see his breakdown as a 'puzzle', solvable through medication, 'ruthless psychiatric intervention' and 'acknowledgement of certain cognitive errors'. He tells me, that, 'according to strict medical criteria', he was never addicted to cocaine or alcohol; they were just symptoms of his major clinical depression, and now that it's cured, they pose no problem. This seems unlikely to me: given the natural speed of his brain processes, the last thing he needs is vodka, or coke. But as far as Tony's concerned, he's cracked the equation and the bad times are over.

Hi, Dan from 1997-2013.

I always knew best and being cleverererererer than you are, who the fuck are you to tell me what to do. How many languages do you speak, dickhead? And I haven't got a problem with booze/fags/drugs, I can stop whenever I want entirely of my own volition. You see, I'm different to every single addict everywhere else in the world.

The thing is, you're not, are you. You might be eminently more qualified and intelligent than Hamish McTavish from Pollok who's nailing a triple vodka at 8am, but you're doing the same as he is.

Jeez, Slattery is fucked. That vid makes for sad viewing.

tonysmaller_6305.jpg

He was a smooth motherfucker back in the day. Funny and smart, too.

If I ever get to that stage (not that I'm abusing my body and mind that way these days) just knock me out and chuck me in the canal.

Never a fan of him on Whose Line, for some reason he got on my nerves but saw the interview on Twitter today and few clips of him on WL were added and they were very good. Clearly back in the day I only wanted to watch Stiles & Mochrie

Ryan Stiles was incredible.

I think Slattery was so ubiquitous in the 90s that people just got annoyed with him by default (bearing in mind we had four channels at the time, coal in the bath, had to make our own teabags etc)

I also used to find him annoying / not as good as others on Whose Line (Mike McShane was my favourite). Really sad to see what he has become though and the article was a really difficult read. Found DW's points above really interesting too, I'm often guilty of thinking I'm right and ignoring others opinions becuase i don't think they are as valid as mine..

I'm nowhere as narcissistic as I used to be :)

But no, I'd always use that as a cloak. You can't know as much as I do, I've done this, I've got this qualification, I'm better than you...and once you get on that high horse, it only gets higher and higher.

These days I always try to respect views if I can. I mean I'll disagree, I still argue about everything ever, but I'll try to argue properly if I can. Not just assume I'm right by default because meh, I'm probably cleverer than you are. Which is a terrible attitude.

It took me to have a full on breakdown to sort it all out and I'm forever at least a little bit broken, but I'm a better person for it overall. People sort of like me now. Not necessarily on here. It's another girl, she goes to another school. You wouldn't know her.

I had a total melt down at work 6 weeks ago . couldn't stand the total insignificant bull shit been lectured to me that didn't even concern me ,so I made my excuse to leave work , got home and every emotion you can think of hit me I was a mess ! lucky for me my family came to the rescue ,i'm now having grief counselling and things are starting to get better it was also the first anniversary of my wifes death which had been praying on my mind .

Opening up is good, man. It needs to be done sometimes.

This is an open floor, anything you want to say here is fine.

Back