• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Mental Health thread

Bloody hell mate that's horrible !

so sorry to hear that tredman . and dan that was a great read very brave mate !

Not going to lie, it's been a very poor last few weeks. Started writing, couldn't do it any more, had to stop. Numerous times I've totally broken down.

I've given it my absolute best shot though. Worked hard on getting physically fitter, I'm down to 12 and a half stone now and probably in as good a shape as I have been since I was about 25, which were the days when I could do what I wanted and everything just looked after itself on that front. Too late for a footballing comeback now (my knee cries no even at the thought of it) but I feel better, look better.

I will start writing again but I can't say when.

My heartfelt thanks to everyone who does their best to help me, even if it's impossible at times and I can be a nightmare.

Not going to lie, it's been a very poor last few weeks. Started writing, couldn't do it any more, had to stop. Numerous times I've totally broken down.

I've given it my absolute best shot though. Worked hard on getting physically fitter, I'm down to 12 and a half stone now and probably in as good a shape as I have been since I was about 25, which were the days when I could do what I wanted and everything just looked after itself on that front. Too late for a footballing comeback now (my knee cries no even at the thought of it) but I feel better, look better.

My heartfelt thanks to everyone who does their best to help me, even if it's impossible at times and I can be a nightmare.

Good to hear mate. Keep going!

Good work mate - always people to talk to if needed.

I've undergone CBT myself recently and currently prepping for some EMDR therapy to finish off - combined with lifting weights, restarting rugby, regular meditation & pretty much giving up heavy drinking (since Christmas) I'm currently starting to feel better than I have done for years.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Never know what to say to help, however all you can do is give it your best shot and sounds like you very much are doing so. We're all here, in one form or another, to offer support mate.

This winter has been hard work for me, but getting my SAD light back out and changes on the horizon has given me a bit of a positive outlook for the months ahead.

Thanks lads. All I can do is my best. I break very easily and for whatever reason some people are determined to ruin me, but I'll see them off.

In terms of weight/fitness - cut out a lot of my meat intake, do a lot of walking, yoga at home, I don't really drink in the week unless it's a matchday, dropped all snacks. Physical fitness isn't everything but it's good to have some focus.

I've been suffering from broken sleep for about six weeks now, the cause is unavoidable and it's really having an impact on me.

I'm not as mentally sharp as I need to be, I don't have any motivation to do anything and I procrastinate every task until it becomes an issue.

I'm not able to do anything effectively which compounds the whole thing.

I'm seriously considering a career break to get myself back into the right space, has anyone else done that?

Yeah, numerous times. Out of necessity but still.

If you have the money to support a reasonable lifestyle then it's a good thing. If you don't have any money then it's rubbish.

I've been suffering from broken sleep for about six weeks now, the cause is unavoidable and it's really having an impact on me.

I'm not as mentally sharp as I need to be, I don't have any motivation to do anything and I procrastinate every task until it becomes an issue.

I'm seriously considering a career break to get myself back into the right space, has anyone else done that?

In a little similar situation. My sleep has been fucked for years, very rarely do I sleep more than 6 hours and if I’m at home that’s broken sleep.

I’d love to take a break, I find my memory is not as sharp as it was and often tasks build up on me.

Can’t afford to not work, or to take a less stressful less well paid job so I’m stuck for a few years at least. I try to make the best of it by trying to switch off whenever possible - going to Wolves definitely helps there.

Edit - Andy, I think I remember you said you have twins? From personal experience it will get better - I hardly remember anything from the first two years, but was then fully functioning for the following 6 years. I then ruined it by having another kid (becoming a fellow old-dad as another forum member so kindly said recently)

Last edited:

I did this around 18 months ago, took a couple of steps down from the level I was as I couldn't cope and do the job anymore. My bosses were great about it, and supported during the transition and afterward. In the last couple of month have started doing the work to get back to the position I was in previously (mainly just catching up with new policies and procedures)

Was the best decision for me at the time. I was lucky that I was in a position to take the step back financially and had the support of my family and work to do it. If it something you can do and feel it is correct I would recommend it. I'm in a much better place now than I was 18 months or so again, as a few on here can hopefully vouch for.

In a little similar situation. My sleep has been fucked for years, very rarely do I sleep more than 6 hours and if I’m at home that’s broken sleep.

I’d love to take a break, I find my memory is not as sharp as it was and often tasks build up on me.

Can’t afford to not work, or to take a less stressful less well paid job so I’m stuck for a few years at least. I try to make the best of it by trying to switch off whenever possible - going to Wolves definitely helps there.

Edit - Andy, I think I remember you said you have twins? From personal experience it will get better - I hardly remember anything from the first two years, but was then fully functioning for the following 6 years. I then ruined it by having another kid (becoming a fellow old-dad as another forum member so kindly said recently)

Thanks for your reply

Yes, I do have twins - they're approaching three and like you I can't remember anything from the first two years. It does get better occasionally but these last few months have been really tough. My memory is fucked and it takes me ages to recall things, but once I have it's fine but that initial recall takes so long sometimes. If I get decent sleep it's noticeably better.

The problem is though memory is so important and it affects the rest of what I do, I get stuck between just muddling through and hoping things are ok and then really worrying about things because I'm just muddling through.

Good point about the wolves, I need to make sure I do things for me that just benefit me

I did this around 18 months ago, took a couple of steps down from the level I was as I couldn't cope and do the job anymore. My bosses were great about it, and supported during the transition and afterward. In the last couple of month have started doing the work to get back to the position I was in previously (mainly just catching up with new policies and procedures)

Was the best decision for me at the time. I was lucky that I was in a position to take the step back financially and had the support of my family and work to do it. If it something you can do and feel it is correct I would recommend it. I'm in a much better place now than I was 18 months or so again, as a few on here can hopefully vouch for.

Thanks for your reply.

I think this would help alleviate some of the anxiety I have. I sometimes just want a nice, boring, procedural job I can do with my eyes closed!

Thanks for your reply

Yes, I do have twins - they're approaching three and like you I can't remember anything from the first two years. It does get better occasionally but these last few months have been really tough. My memory is fucked and it takes me ages to recall things, but once I have it's fine but that initial recall takes so long sometimes. If I get decent sleep it's noticeably better.

The problem is though memory is so important and it affects the rest of what I do, I get stuck between just muddling through and hoping things are ok and then really worrying about things because I'm just muddling through.

Good point about the wolves, I need to make sure I do things for me that just benefit me

Make lists is what I do now (or do digitally). I used to think I had a fantastic memory, but either abuse, old age or lack of sleep have dulled it. You’re not unique and I see it in most of my colleagues (I work in a consultancy, so memory is important).

Did a similar thing 18 months ago - stepped back a level and went part-time - best thing I ever did - as long as you have enough money coming in to live, focussing on your well-being is massive.

I also use an App called Productive, where I write down everything I have to get done - spend so much less time in my head thinking about these jobs now.

Microsoft To-Do for me, integrates with Outlook, iOS reminders, CRM and Planner. Can’t escape from all my tasks - which is a problem in itself :)

I use a posh redhead called Tammi, who mails and phones me CONSTANTLY to tell me where I should be.

Back