• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Glastonbury full lineup was announced today. Worryingly out of touch that I don't recognise plenty of the acts announced. Will need to have a trawl through to see if can find any hidden gems to go and watch.

A serious question. What pleasure do music fans get at Glastonbury. Mud, lack of sanitary facilities, overpriced food and drink. Surely the modern Glastonbury is alien to the original idea of the festival?

A serious question. What pleasure do music fans get at Glastonbury. Mud, lack of sanitary facilities, overpriced food and drink. Surely the modern Glastonbury is alien to the original idea of the festival?

Its an amazing place. There is so much going on that's never shown on the TV coverage and the atmosphere of the whole place is impossible to replicate.

As for the refreshments - I've never seen such a diverse menu in my life, spread out all across the site which I believe is the same size as the centre of Bath (ironic - lolz). Last time I was there I discovered the amazing Thali Cafe which is the nicest food I've ever had at a stall. Not dissimilar to somewhere like the Digbeth Dining club actually.

The areas in the south east of the site have a huge variety of food and drink, veggie, vegan, oriental, Indian, Arabic, traditional English stuff - its crazy what you can find.

As for drink - plenty of ale bars which keep excellent beers at prices similar to a normal city centre. There was a real ale tent on one side of the site, on the other is a huge teepee called the Bimble Inn that serves some good stuff. I've been to a gin bar, a cocktail lounge and a wine bar, the famous cider bus near the main stage is a must, then there's the original Brothers Cider bar in the Jazzworld field (or whatever it's called now - West Holts?)

The different type of people you come across is pretty eye opening too but on the whole everyone is friendly and are all there to enjoy themselves.

There's something for everyone - you could be there for 5 days and never watch a single band and you'd still enjoy it.

Thank you Langers. Glastonbury is something I wanted to do in my younger days but was put off by the issues I mentioned. Clearly things have moved on, but so has my age so I doubt I will ever go there, well that is unless Rush are appearing there...

It's still a fantastic experience. As for sanitation - its a festival. Washing is cheating and it's minimal discomfort for a few days.

7 years since I last went - I miss it every year, can't wait til I can go back.

Glastonbury has never really appealed to me.

I went to V Festival before with some mates, first festival I'd been to so was all excited by the idea but then there was quite a lot of 'dead time' when there weren't really any bands acts on that I was interested in so you ended up strolling round pointlessly or just going back to the tent for a few beers. Since then I've only been to one other festival, Rock AM Ring the following year, which we decided on because they'd announced pretty much the full line up before we got tickets and we could plot a pretty much constant stream of bands we had at least some knowledge of/interest in to make it worthwhile. That had the added bonus of being more open than V Festival too, the campsites weren't contained within the festival area so you could come and go as you pleased through the day, music generally didn't start until mid-afternoon, which meant you got to go and do a bit of exploring round local towns and stuff inbetween.

I've only been tempted by another festival once since then, some of my mates had spare tickets to Reading or Leeds one year when the line up looked good, couldn't get the time off work to attend though, but any other time I've looked because there's been an eyecatching headliner or something I've always found myself looking at too much 'dead time' to make it worthwhile bothering.

Langers hit the nail 100% on the head. If you've not been before and have thought about going I urge you to try it at least once (if you can get a ticket)

This is tomorrow and I cannot wait! Orbital re-uniting for Forbidden Fruit festival and then they are doing a 4hr DJ set in the basement of a Japanese restaurant after the gig. And I'm going to both! And it's a bank holiday weekend! And it's sunny outside!

Forbidden-Fruit-2017-stage-times-290517.png

It's okay.

Better than Little James though, which is no bad thing.

This is tomorrow and I cannot wait! Orbital re-uniting for Forbidden Fruit festival and then they are doing a 4hr DJ set in the basement of a Japanese restaurant after the gig. And I'm going to both! And it's a bank holiday weekend! And it's sunny outside!

Forbidden-Fruit-2017-stage-times-290517.png

I think I have been to that Japenese restaurant...

Izakaya?

Very jealous of your weekend too, btw.

Arcade Fire's new track is awesome. Love it - hoping the album is a return to form after Reflektor which I never got on with.

And I'm currently listening to Roger Waters' new album - his first studio album since Amused to Death in 1992. Like it so far but like all his stuff, it needs multiple playthroughs!

just updated on discogs. i noticed someone must have bought the stone roses album for £120(!) as that's now showing as a max price, supposedly for the first issue, though i'm never clear if everyone's talking about the same thing where that's concerned. just in case anyone has a pristine version, look after it. mine's probably worth about £15-£20 based on how many times it got played. quite interesting for a statto looking at the values. there are 24 records at £50 or above, my favourite being the Gates of Lunch by the deep freeze mice which i picked up from an outside stall in York for about £1 in 1996, valued at a whopping £62 max. i think it should have a booklet with it which i haven't got, so i'm sure mine's worth a lot less. it has a 24 minute one track B side called Godzilla loves me, i'm an ashtray. great stuff.

just updated on discogs. i noticed someone must have bought the stone roses album for £120(!) as that's now showing as a max price, supposedly for the first issue, though i'm never clear if everyone's talking about the same thing where that's concerned. just in case anyone has a pristine version, look after it. mine's probably worth about £15-£20 based on how many times it got played. quite interesting for a statto looking at the values. there are 24 records at £50 or above, my favourite being the Gates of Lunch by the deep freeze mice which i picked up from an outside stall in York for about £1 in 1996, valued at a whopping £62 max. i think it should have a booklet with it which i haven't got, so i'm sure mine's worth a lot less. it has a 24 minute one track B side called Godzilla loves me, i'm an ashtray. great stuff.

There's nothing like picking up an obscure record for pennies and finding it's worth money. :)

Back